Atariboy2600

Kangaroo For The Nintendo Famicom By Hal Laboratory.

I knew about the three NES games release by Hal was

But what I did not knew that it was going to be used to help in a deal with Nintendo and Atari and also there was going to be a fourth game in the Atari line up by Hal was KANGAROO.

Question is there a good chance there maybe a prototype room for this game is maybe they never gone a far as the proto stage. But I alway wonder how Kanagaroo may look like on a NES/Famicom screen

I'm curious. Where did you read that they were planning Kangaroo for the NES?

I hear it after seeing a youtube video go start at time 2:55

Edited by Atariboy2600
  • Like 2

At 3:30, the video states the source being from YouTube/Ian Chipman. I couldn't find anything on a Famicom version of Kangaroo from Sunsoft so I guess it hadn't been made as far as we know.

Looks like I got a new video series to watch now, the first episode mentioned the AVS of all things. :)

I heard that Richard Frick who was Director of Software development at Atari at the time was the source of the information that Kangaroo had been ported to the NES. Since I am researching the history of Sunsoft I am interested in finding out if this is true.

I contacted Richard and asked him about it. What he told me was that when Jack Trimel took over Atari in 84 they cleared out some warehouses. And during that process Richard saw a cart marked Kangaroo. And I guess since he was Director of Software development he could see the difference between a Atari 2600 cart and a NES cart. But this was basically all he knew about it.

He told me this as well in 2013, but I believe that his memory is the ONLY source so we shouldn't take it as fact necessarily, he could be misremembering. 

12 hours ago, TheRedEye said:

He told me this as well in 2013, but I believe that his memory is the ONLY source so we shouldn't take it as fact necessarily, he could be misremembering. 

I agree. A second source is needed when there are no other evidence.

Forgot to post this my old mockup from 2017 on what if Hal made the Kangaroo port for the NES box and cart label. I used some of my clipart of the Kangaroo, Joey and the monkeys as well as making the background from Photoshop

nes kan box.png

nes kan cart.png

• Like 3

On 6/12/2020 at 1:51 PM, Atariboy2600 said:

Forgot to post this my old mockup from 2017 on what if Hal made the Kangaroo port for the NES box and cart label. I used some of my clipart of the Kangaroo, Joey and the monkeys as well as making the background from Photoshop

nes kan box.png

nes kan cart.png

This looks absolutely nothing like any other Kangaroo artwork.

In other words, it looks exactly like what HAI might have done for their Nintendo port.  Well done! :)

4 hours ago, FujiSkunk said:

This looks absolutely nothing like any other Kangaroo artwork.

In other words, it looks exactly like what HAI might have done for their Nintendo port.  Well done! :)

Yeah I try to see how they WOULD had done it back then when the classic artwork was from the past on Atari 2600 and 5200 and seeing they wanted to stay away from anything ATARI yes they would had done more Saturday Morning cartoon style.

image.png

• Like 3