IGNORED

Analogue NT Mini Hardware

Radfoo

Have Analogue addressed the cheap PSUs and the RGB issues? I'd love to get one, but don't feel like troubleshooting or servicing a $500 boutique FPGA box. Any word on a revision model?

I don't get the impression that there's anything that needs revising. They've probably sold a couple thousand units, and there have been only ~5-10 reported units with any kind of issue? That sounds better than most consumer electronics products, especially considering all the different video output options.

Edited by cacophony

Have Analogue addressed the cheap PSUs and the RGB issues? I'd love to get one, but don't feel like troubleshooting or servicing a $500 boutique FPGA box. Any word on a revision model?

Think you can be safe and secure when you order one. Like always with electronics, things can go wrong. But there is no HW issues in general that needs to be fixed. Not so many seems to have troubles.

And if something goes wrong, I can assure you that they will sort it out. Belive me, I know. :)

Go for it!, they seems to sell out soon. No restocking for a while either.

Think you can be safe and secure when you order one. Like always with electronics, things can go wrong. But there is no HW issues in general that needs to be fixed. Not so many seems to have troubles.

And if something goes wrong, I can assure you that they will sort it out. Belive me, I know. :)

Go for it!, they seems to sell out soon. No restocking for a while either.

Not for everyone they did not replace my power supply .

I just stumbled across the Analogue NT a few days ago. It looks like everything I've been waiting for in a retro system.

Other than this thread or the 107-page FPGA system topic, is there anywhere that has a summary of the cores that have been released for the NT and news on potential adapters? I know that the official site doesn't provide any info.

Thanks, Kav

I just stumbled across the Analogue NT a few days ago. It looks like everything I've been waiting for in a retro system.

Other than this thread or the 107-page FPGA system topic, is there anywhere that has a summary of the cores that have been released for the NT and news on potential adapters? I know that the official site doesn't provide any info.

Thanks, Kav

The first post has a nice up-to-date summary of the released cores:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/page-1

The adapter info though is buried in the thread (about 2-3 weeks ago IIRC)

did they pay for shipping back to the us? twice???

They paid for the return shipping and back to me.

The second problem I had I resolved myself with help and ideas from here and Analogue. But they offered to take it back if I wasnt comfortable to take it apart and check the ribbon cable. I said that I would give it a try, and it worked.

• Like 1

A follow up .

Analouge contacted me today and they will send me a new power supply and a new controller that they will test before sending it that is good service.

And the reason that the forum post was not published was that they was flagged as spam .

Just download smokemonsters pack and see what's in it. :)

If someone was brave, he or she could add 5v to the VGA connector with a wire.

Sure, there are at least 2 NC pins on the VGA port. Since its a "universal" D-15 passtru, dont know if there is a standard that allows 5VCC somewhere. Dont want my unit only fit with exactly my cable either.

If someone was brave, he or she could add 5v to the VGA connector with a wire.

Sure, there are at least 2 NC pins on the VGA port. Since its a "universal" D-15 passtru, dont know if there is a standard that allows 5VCC somewhere. Dont want my unit only fit with exactly my cable either.

Don't the RGB cables with the USB piggyback satisfy that requirement?

Yes and no.

I would like to prefer that the USB 5V did not push Vcc until the Nt is started. The power to the USB is always on.

My solution is a SCART switch with manual control.

Yes, it works. A solution like the VGA-SCART at the MiST Atari ST FPGA clone is more polished. But you still need the stereo audio feed:

http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=168

An esotheric solution is a VGA-SCART converter. More expensive and needs two cables more (VGA-to-VGA and SCART-to-SCART) and a PSU (or USB special cable to the 5v connector):

http://arcadeforge.net/UMSA/UMSA-Ultimate-SCART-Adapter::57.html

Maybe the best solution is the comment by Kevtris for the Zimba3000: use the famicom expansion out for multipurpose in/out.

Yes and no.

I would like to prefer that the USB 5V did not push Vcc until the Nt is started. The power to the USB is always on.

My solution is a SCART switch with manual control.

Did you get any trouble with the constant 1v-3v feeding at the CRT? The easiest solution would be an electric strip with on/off. (If you don't want to drill the nt mini for a real on/off button at the rear :-o)

Maybe Kevtris can add this option at the menu :)

Did you get any trouble with the constant 1v-3v feeding at the CRT? The easiest solution would be an electric strip with on/off. (If you don't want to drill the nt mini for a real on/off button at the rear :-o)

Maybe Kevtris can add this option at the menu :)

Nah, not directly. But automatic SCART-switches may trigger that a signal is present if there is a RGB blanking signal always on.

I disconnects it using a manual SCART-switch. Otherwise the 5V (w 180ohm resistor) could go trough the cable and into another console hooked up at the same time.

Got a TurboDuo, PS2, SFC, CDX hooked up to the same CRT aswell. :) Going to put all consoles on a glass display case with the mini on top. :)

He commented that, and the 5V from USB are hard wired from the regulator.

Edited by atmn

Nah, not directly. But automatic SCART-switches may trigger that a signal is present if there is a RGB blanking signal always on.

I disconnects it using a manual SCART-switch. Otherwise the 5V (w 180ohm resistor) could go trough the cable and into another console hooked up at the same time.

Ough! You may have to connect a diode for prevent the voltage feedback at every scart connector at blanking pin. But the diode will drop 0.7v and maybe can cancel the RGB activation if the voltage output at the console is less than 2v... too risky!

Maybe I missed the memo, but what are the controller options for the NT mini. Are we pretty much stuck with the NES Pad or 8bit do? Has anyone gotten a 2600 Joystick to work on it for example? :)

You can use a lot of wireless bluetooth gamepads with the 8bit receiver.

Or if you want wired, you can use the NES legacy gamepads, arcade sticks, etc..

There are new ones like this:

retro_fighters_controller.png

Retro Fighters NES Controller Jab Gamepad

http://retrofighters.com

Cool but yeah I was mostly looking for a joystick control. 2600 Reactor just doesn't play the same with a d-pad :lol:

I just remembered I had a USB 2600 joystick.. I wonder if that'd work in some way, although obviously I wouldn't have an easy way to hit select, reset, a/b switches, etc.

Edited by NE146

You can use a lot of wireless bluetooth gamepads with the 8bit receiver.

Or if you want wired, you can use the NES legacy gamepads, arcade sticks, etc..

There are new ones like this:

retro_fighters_controller.png

Retro Fighters NES Controller Jab Gamepad

http://retrofighters.com

Piece of crap. Buttons are laid out wrong. Why no love for the Dog Bone arrangement? Also the twin sticks are borderline useless as a modern controller without a full diamond button pad. I honestly want to know what went through the designers' heads when they created this monstrosity.

/endrant

Cool but yeah I was mostly looking for a joystick control. 2600 Reactor just doesn't play the same with a d-pad :lol:

I just remembered I had a USB 2600 joystick.. I wonder if that'd work in some way, although obviously I wouldn't have an easy way to hit select, reset, a/b switches, etc.

A dpad and a joystick electrically are the same thing; you just use different muscle groups to actuate them.

A dpad and a joystick electrically are the same thing; you just use different muscle groups to actuate them.

Yes exactly.. I often like to use the meaty part of my right hand palm on a 2600 joystick for some subtle movements. That is definitely a different muscle group than my left hand thumb. :)

• Like 1

A follow up .

Analouge contacted me today and they will send me a new power supply and a new controller that they will test before sending it that is good service.

And the reason that the forum post was not published was that they was flagged as spam .

My power supply is noisy too I've noticed. So the position on noisy adapters is that they'll replace them?