IGNORED

RIP romhacking.net?

elmer

Unless they've just been hacked themselves, it looks like the premiere site for the development and distribution of Translation Patches and other classic-game Hacks just went titsup!

It's been down all day, and then I just saw this ...

33310590672_97e9bee21f_o.png

Does anyone know what happened?

Is this legit? Did they get a takedown notice or C&D?

Whatever ... unless this is a joke, it isn't a great day for the folks that are working hard to bring classic games, that were only released in Japan, to an English-speaking audience.

• Like 1

I did a Google search and some sites are saying that the Twitter accounts aren't official. Some suggested to check out the ROMHacking.net IRC channel but, yeah. Didn't have the time this morning.

If it IS a take down I have no idea why. They do not distribute pirated ROMs. In fact, I submitted some of my indie 2600 games for free there.

There's a snapshot on Wayback from Feb 21st. It's far from perfect, but it looks like many of the patch files are still downloadable.

http://web.archive.org/web/20170221182831/http://www.romhacking.net/

My guess at why Nintendo would take them down: altering the ROM files (which by their logic you shouldn't have anyway) undermines their ability to resell them. Exhibit A for this would be NES Remix. http://nesremix.nintendo.com

They aren't ROM hacks, but I think Nintendo's lawyers could convince a judge or jury that it's close enough to hurt them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NES_Remix_(series)

NesRemixGameplay.jpg

I am no lawyer but ROM hacks seem like an excellent example of derivative work, and it would be easy to argue that they encourage copyright infringement.

Marcel_Duchamp_Mona_Lisa_LHOOQ.jpg

Twitter eh? Is there a copy of this we can read where Nintendo pulled the plug? Sure they never hosted ROMs but as the post above appeared as i was writing this, you could nail the side over TM and © stuff probably, at least well enough to smoke and mirrors a judge over it. Hopefully someone else opens up a new site to carry all this stuff forward and not just the web archive as long as the files care to keep working.

I was just on there a week or two ago trying to figure out if anyone did an improved JP to ENG translation of DQ4 for Famicom as I came across the cart locally -- it's a good resource.

I was just on there a week or two ago trying to figure out if anyone did an improved JP to ENG translation of DQ4 for Famicom as I came across the cart locally -- it's a good resource.

Actually I went there yesterday looking to see if anyone ever fixed the bugs in the DQ1+DQII translation and noticed it was down. I thought it was just a temporary glitch, guess I was wrong.

Are there any other large translation sites out there?

Twitter eh? Is there a copy of this we can read where Nintendo pulled the plug?

This was posted on the Twitter account (romhacking_net) ...

33347390801_b0a1702771_o.png

BUT ... the folks on the romhacking IRC feed (it took me a while to find that) say that's a fake Twitter account, and just someone stirring up trouble.

They say that the site is down because it's been hacked, and that it will be back.

• Like 5

BUT ... the folks on the romhacking IRC feed (it took me a while to find that) say that's a fake Twitter account, and just someone stirring up trouble.

They say that the site is down because it's been hacked, and that it will be back.

It's possible. It seems odd that they would say "screw it, we're taking it all down" instead of just purging the Nintendo stuff. You'd also think that they would put up an index page explaining things as well.

• Like 1

The Cutting Room Floor's Twitter account got in contact with Nightcrawler, and long story short, the site's down, and real life issues are preventing him from getting the site back up. Also, the supposed romhacking.net account isn't official and should be ignored.

EDIT: Apparently the site is back up with a plain text message saying that RHDN isn't dead.

Edited by GarrettCRW

Had Nintendo done it they would not be stuck up and in their rights Mr Entitled, but perhaps you should be entitled to getting an education first because had you been capable of reading you would find out it was a fake news story from a fake twitter account to stir the pot. Reading just a few posts earlier would have covered that much.

Had Nintendo done it they would not be stuck up and in their rights Mr Entitled, but perhaps you should be entitled to getting an education first because had you been capable of reading you would find out it was a fake news story from a fake twitter account to stir the pot. Reading just a few posts earlier would have covered that much.

Hello there, Mr. Dunce.

>me

>Mr. entitled

Its funny how you assume that I'm either mentally handicapped or an under-educated bumpkin. :thumbsdown: :P :P

They consider fan translations and ROM hacking to be bad, naughty and we shouldn't do it despite having rights to do so.

Hell, the Big N also went after the makers of Game Genie for the same reason...and all they did was change the game that was in the RAM part and not the ROM itself.

And yes I know it was Russian hackers that took the site down but they also suck. A damn shame since I was looking forward to playing translated Famicom games, even the archived site doesn't have the patches available. ;(