IGNORED

MyIDE 2: Reseting after FAT32 load?

Gunstar

Is there a way to reset or cold start back to the MyIDE 2 main menu or Fat32 directory when ending a program loaded from Fat32 loader? The MyBIOS manual refers to [shift]+[control]+[esc] instead of using standard reset. but that doesn't work, I just get a black screen. I'm guessing that only works from within the MyBIOS menu system or something. A standard reset will reset and load from D1 or go to the built-in system test. I'd rather not have to cold power on and off every time I use it if possible. With other loaders and DOS's through other devices I can warm or cold start without power-cycling. I'm hoping I can do that here too.

Edited by Gunstar

um that was the way all the mybios functions were done... mybios as far as I remember is not present once the fat32 loader is done.... there was a way to restart the old flash carts etc. in the past just like inidos turned on disabled spartados carts etc... I am sure if it does not exist someone could whip up something like that and then you could run it off a sio device or ramdisk etc on some other device.

When you have loaded MyBIOS before the FATloader, it could be still active.
Depending how kind the "what ever you have loaded" is in respect with OSRAM-space or switching back to the stock OS-rom / OS-B-patch.

Remark:

Alternatively, you can have MyBIOS build (or flashed) into your atari.

That is when you have the appropriate hardware installed than can support this.

When i'm talking gibberish now, ignore this remark.

In 4.8.x press shift+control+tab (menu), then P (Powerup), then shift (back to cartridge)

In 4.9.x press/hold HELP > 1s (menu), press U (powerUp), then shift (back to cartridge)

Edited by mr-atari
  • Like 1

O, I totally forgot, there is an optional reset-button.

I had some from Steve for testing and they work fine.

You need to solder that to the JTAG-position on the PCB and drill a hole in your cartridge.

Press the button and the cartridge is back in it's boot-up state.

Then press reset on the Atari.

I did not see it surface on the atarimax homepage, so I do not know if it ever was released.

Just send Steve an email and see, if you can get one.

post-6668-0-00901800-1489744677_thumb.jpg

post-6668-0-29447500-1489744702_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

O, I totally forgot, there is an optional reset-button.

I had some from Steve for testing and they work fine.

You need to solder that to the JTAG-position on the PCB and drill a hole in your cartridge.

Press the button and the cartridge is back in it's boot-up state.

Then press reset on the Atari.

I did not see it surface on the atarimax homepage, so I do not know if it ever was released.

Just send Steve an email and see, if you can get one.

I think this is the best solution for me, hopefully Steve can sort me out. Thanks!

Do you have a sio based device on D1: connected. I could create a bootable atr that would restart the atari with the myide 2 back on again.

This would address what you want except that reset proof software would still require a power cycle.

Is your atari stock? With custom OS the request is quite easy.

• Like 2

Do you have a sio based device on D1: connected. I could create a bootable atr that would restart the atari with the myide 2 back on again.

This would address what you want except that reset proof software would still require a power cycle.

Is your atari stock? With custom OS the request is quite easy.

Yes, D1: is SIO based. I reserved D1-4 for SIO such as SIO2PC and real drives My MyIDE 2 boot drive is D5:.

My 1200XL is anything but stock. I have AtariMax Warp+ 32-in-1 OS, AtariMax (Rambo) 256K, Dropcheck PAL converted, etc., etc. soon it will have a real PBI. A bootable ATR works for me.

I only use the MyBIOS for the FAT loader atm, otherwise I boot from 1050 or APE D1: with a SpartaDOS config file disk that boots MyIDE 2 stacked on my Super SDX cart with R-time 8.

The MyDOS is all set up and ready to go, I just don't use it. Though the MyBIOS FAT loader won't work with executables stacked on the SDX cart, rom images only. so I have the MyIDE 2 plugged directly in when using the FAT32 loader right now.

On the SpartaDOS side I haven't gotten a FAT loader up and running yet, but eventually I plan on 99.9% SpartaDOS use once I get it all set up the way I want too.

But I have it set up for either MyDOS+MyBIOS 4.8-B3 or SpartaDOS 4.47+32-in-1 OS (usually Warp+)

Edited by Gunstar

yep in order to pass thru the sdx cart the fat loader would have to use a smaller or different dxxx space.... same with xex loader on the ultimate cart.

I am told it could be done but I was the only one who noticed so..... looks like I'm not the only one maybe it might get some attention!

• Like 1

Well, we'll see how this ATR cold start works out. I've been thinking about moving all my executables to my SpartaDOS partitions and loading them through DOS the old fashioned way, and the executables that won't work with SpartDOS (if any since I have extended ram for DOS), and aren't in ATR form I'll make into autorun floppies and just use the FAT32 loader for strictly rom images.

I don't mind using auto load floppies for a lot of commercial games, since I can have them in ultraspeed format with my Happy 1050. I'm a fan of any and all ways of I/O, slowest and fastest. Just using all the hardware is half the fun for me. I still enjoy using my 1010 and tapes...once in a while...but mostly for European tape software with load-waiting graphics/animations/etc.while the main game loads.I like playing mult-disk RPG games from floppy too, with multiple drives so little to no swapping. but at 3xSIO speed.

Edited by Gunstar

The myide2 fat loader is an executable in itself. You could store it on a bootable disk or partition.

If you have a non stock atari I don't clearly see the issue.

Is there mybios ROM version on that 32-in-1? And which version is that? Is it possible to reflash that 32-in-1?

With mybios in rom you can ALWAYS in any situation reset the MyIDE 2 cart and return to the cart menu without a powercycle.

Today I created the small binary/bootdisk that will reset your MyIDE.

You even can put the binary on your SDX partition if you want. (Simply copy the .COM file from this ATR to your SDX partition)

If you have SDX running on MyIDE it will disable SDX. If you have an external SDX running you should run this binary with X.

If you can let your Atari reboot from SIO if you have used the FAT32 loader, this ATR will bring back the MyIDE 2 menu.

So it might be needed to select an OS in the 32-in-1 that gives you a HARD-reset key combination.

But...

If you have a 4.8 version MyBIOS in Rom in your 32-in-1 you won't need this ATR and then you can always do this:

Hit reset with SELECT down

Then chose P (Power)

Hit Shift to Start Cartridge

If you have an older version of MyBIOS in ROM in your 32-in-1 you also could consider adding this ATR to one of the Image slots in your MyIDE setup. Then you won't need to mount this ATR everytime.

Let me know if it works, and if you need more assistance.

I'm pretty sure the reset key on a MyIDE 2 cart is only needed if you are using a STOCK atari computer. That is why I asked. In all cases you will not need that reset key on the cart.

MYIIRST.ATR.zip

• Like 5

The myide2 fat loader is an executable in itself. You could store it on a bootable disk or partition.

If you have a non stock atari I don't clearly see the issue.

Is there mybios ROM version on that 32-in-1? And which version is that? Is it possible to reflash that 32-in-1?

With mybios in rom you can ALWAYS in any situation reset the MyIDE 2 cart and return to the cart menu without a powercycle.

No MyBIOS on the 32-in-1. Although I've had a 32-in-1 for many years, this one is only a year old, but only has original MyIDE OS's on it. Yes, I suppose the 32-in-1 could be reflashed with MyBIOS, but I don't have the tools. But I rather use WARP+ OS (which has cold-start/hard-reset combination of RESET+SELECT) than MyBIOS anyway and feel no need to reflash my 32-in-1 to contain MyBIOS just for a FAT32 loader cold start. A bootable disk option works fine for me though. Thank you very, very, very much. :thumbsup:

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Today I created the small binary/bootdisk that will reset your MyIDE.

You even can put the binary on your SDX partition if you want. (Simply copy the .COM file from this ATR to your SDX partition)

If you have SDX running on MyIDE it will disable SDX. If you have an external SDX running you should run this binary with X.

If you can let your Atari reboot from SIO if you have used the FAT32 loader, this ATR will bring back the MyIDE 2 menu.

So it might be needed to select an OS in the 32-in-1 that gives you a HARD-reset key combination.

Thanks for this. I just added it to my SDrive^2. It is awesome to be able to simply hit the reset button instead of power cycling the computer. Most of the old commercial software still requires a power cycle but with anything from the last 25 years it works like a charm. :)

• Like 1