IGNORED

Reproduction Prototype Cartridge On Ebay looks to real now

jonnyangl

Hi Guys

I am looking at this ebay auction for a prototype reproduction Atari 2600 cartridge. The seller claims this is a reproduction prototype and not a real one from the 1970's and 80's. The thing is if this is a reproduction, how can you identify it from a real prototype, because it looks almost perfect even down to the old dirty label.... It seems it is almost impossible to tell if they are making reproductions almost perfect. Dont want to ever be ripped off If I can get a real prototype at a good price.

The link to the ebay auction is here http://www.ebay.com/itm/112338204753?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any comments are appreciated.. thanks guys..

John

post-52921-0-69971300-1489774426_thumb.jpg

Well for starters, Pompeii was an Apollo game, not Atari (that's a modified Atari label). Secondly if you look at the black label it has square corners, real proto labels have rounded corners. The label itself looks 'smudgey' like someone was trying to make it look aged, but didn't do it right.

These fakers are getting much better though. I'm guessing they scanned a real prototype label to make this fake one.

• Like 2

Hi Guys

thanks for the comments.. since I am a new collector and new to these forums.. i might ask a few stupid questions :) just trying to get some nice real rare cartridges and dont want to be tricked .. please excuse any dumb questions i might ask

That's what we're here for. People selling fakes are the scourge of our hobby.

• Like 3

They are getting good.....but not great...or smart.

Look at close up of the pic.

You can see the outline of the old label that they removed. See arrows. They didnt clean the "doaner" cart very well.

As already pointed out, the corners are not rounded. Also, the black ink is smudged on bottom right, as is normal with black ink printed on cheap paper, which is probably what they did.

You can also see what looks like the paper they used is not glued completely down, the bottom is raised ever so slightly.

Also, see the circles on left side. Is that old glue residue they didnt clean off? Dont these fakers use alcohol?

But now, ive given them pointers for the next one!

post-19433-0-70847300-1489786906_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys

thanks for all the feedback.. Yes as I in my original post, the seller of the auction stated the ebay auction is a reproduction of a old loaner loaner cartridge. To me as a new collector, it looks exactly like an original, so as a new collector,, i want to be able to spot any differences that will help me as a buyer, to try to spot any fakes or reproductions so I dont get ripped off. Hope you guys dont mind if I pose questions and pictures of items that I need help identifying and things of this nature.. just trying to get some rare items and want to make sure they are originals.

The problem with making repros like this, is that in YEARS from now, after this repro passes hands a few times, is that someone will not know its a repro.

That process has already started.

The only thing you can do as a newcomer is to do research and ask long time collectors about the details of a certain cart.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter
  • Like 1

Hi Guys

I think the the idea of making a reproduction loaner cartridge and putting it on ebay is to maybe hopefully make someone believe they are getting the genuine article so the price for the sale will be high.. one question I have is where are these home brew people getting the plastic to make the cartridge ? is there special companies that are making the blank cartridges for home brew makers ?? are they using opening old cartridges and putting new computer chips in there ???

Hi Guys

I think the the idea of making a reproduction loaner cartridge and putting it on ebay is to maybe hopefully make someone believe they are getting the genuine article so the price for the sale will be high.. one question I have is where are these home brew people getting the plastic to make the cartridge ? is there special companies that are making the blank cartridges for home brew makers ?? are they using opening old cartridges and putting new computer chips in there ???

as pointed out in the above picture. The residue from the previous label was present. Most people making repro or Homebrews re-use unwanted common carts.