IGNORED

2600 BurgerTime won't load on FBP after sprite update?

NostAlgae37

Hi, maybe someone here can speculate as to why this is, but I updated some of the sprite graphics in the 2600 BurgerTime using Hack-O-Matic 3 and didn't increase the size of the bonus items or either frame of the Hot Dog, but now the game won't load on my Flashback Portable for some reason. Does anybody know why the game is broken and whether it is a simple fix? Thanks.

BurgerTime_NG.bin

Special cart, uses extra ram... not your hack. Try original, see if it works...

By original, do you mean unaltered as in before I changed the graphics? Yes, the unaltered version of BurgerTime works on the FBP. If you downloaded my hack, can you tell me if it works on any real hardware (I don't have access to a 2600 or 7800 to test it at the moment)? And if so, does that mean that I have the freedom to increase the size of the sprites or do they have to stay within the original boundaries as I have done? Thanks.

As a sidebar, there doesn't seem to be any sprites for the egg, cheese, or breadstick in the rom. Am I looking in the wrong place or are these somehow generated by the game code?

The egg, cheese, and breadstick are generated by the missiles and ball, so there is no bitmap data for them.

I figured that was the case but thought that I might as well ask just to be sure (it's probably the same deal with the bottle and spinach in Popeye). If you are able, can you try my hack on something other than the FBP and tell me whether it is broken across the board or whether the issue is FBP-specific? Thanks.

E7 bankswitching. As with all methods that use added RAM, you need to fill that address area with $FF's and cross your fingers that the portable will detect the correct bankswitching scheme it is made for. Otherwise, the game will be loaded assuming that it uses a "standard" method with no added Ram and only swapping the full 4k Rom at a time.

Edited by Nukey Shay