IGNORED

Best SD2IEC to get & where?

I believe that used to be 98 NOT IMPLEMENTED, but was renamed last year in order to "put a message on the error channel if a M-E or Ux command is encountered that attempts to start a piece of drive code which sd2iec cannot identify". In a layman's terms, it sounds like the FastLoad cartridge is trying to install its loader into the 1541 memory (which the SD2IEC type device does not have, but is supposed to be able to detect and simulate) but for some reason the firmware doesn't recognize the code.

From what I understand, the orgiinal cartridge is only known to exist in one binary form, plus three hacks that probably never appeared on Epyx' own cartridges. This page even have some schematics.

http://ar.c64.org/wiki/Epyx_FastLoad

Stupid question, but when you tried the cartridge with a floppy drive, did you notice any significant speed up? My line of thought is that if there is a hardware failure with your cartridge that would fail to install its code into the drive, a real floppy drive might resort to regular (slow) speed while the SD2IEC would detect something was going on and bail out.

Given that the FastLoad is remanufactured in a slightly improved version and specifically sold to match SD2IEC devices, it supposedly should work. Since your SD2IEC device that plugs in directly to the back has a so recent firmware as January 3, 2017, it also should not be an issue.

I'm trying to grab at straws and wonder if the C64 PSU could be an invisible factor, if it would be just at the edge of its capacity? Obviously the EasyFlash cartridge will consume a tiny bit more power than without it being plugged in, and obviously the SD2IEC will also consume a tiny bit power. However the combination should draw as much power when you request the directory as when you load a program using the turbo. Sometimes the most obscure errors turn out to be due to a bad power supply, but usually it should not be.

I'll have to try the floppy again and time them. I just tried another ps. The first one is a recoton and is putting out 8.5 watts on the 5 volt line. The second one is a commodore and its 8.5 as well. Same results with both supplies. Btw - I tried my better working turbo load and save cart with this setup first, it didn't work either. That's why I bought the epyx. I can't win for losing. I really appreciate your thoughts on this deal.

• Like 1

Seems like you have an unsupported version of the Epyx cart that hasn't been seen before, or else there is some problem where the protocol was not compiled into the firmware on your sd2iec.

There is a Fastload dumper program somewhere from Markus Brenner. You could run it and upload binary here for us to look at.

I read somewhere that the sd2iec can be updated? I'm fearful of trying it because at least this thing works with no fast load cart in place. I got this thing from a guy in Spain and it appears to be built very well. I liked it because it plugs in, no cables to futz with.

Support for Epyx Fastload has been in the sd2iec code for many, many years. A version from 3 months ago would have it unless it was disabled in the source when the firmware was built, either accidentally or intentionally.

As I said, either it wasn't compiled into the device you have, or you have a different previously-unknown Epyx Fastload version.

Edited by R.Cade

I read somewhere that the sd2iec can be updated? I'm fearful of trying it because at least this thing works with no fast load cart in place. I got this thing from a guy in Spain and it appears to be built very well. I liked it because it plugs in, no cables to futz with.

Was it despegatop by some chance? I was checking who I years ago bought the one I have from that attaches to the back of the C64 (but still looks like a little disk drive) and that's who it was. I just pulled the Atmega and reprogrammed it earlier for the new firmware :) Newer, smaller ones probably don't use a DIP package chip though.

You might also want to consider getting something like a EasyFlash3 that can allow you to use Jiffydos without having to physically modify the computer.

They are weird with answering emails. As a matter of fact I asked them something months ago and never received a response. HOWEVER, when you order from them the goods get shipped out right away. I ordered multiple SD2IEC readers, a penultimate cart, multiple fastload reloaded carts and a bunch of other stuff and was never let down. They just don't like to talk I guess...

Do they not know what penultimate means or do they actually mean that their cart is the second best?

Supposedly you should just download the latest firmware, unzip the contents to the root directory of the SD card, insert the card in the SD2IEC and it will automatically detect which BIN file matches the hardware and update itself. The LEDs will flash, and once they have stopped, you're done. You can leave the firmware on the card or remove it, as the device will determine whenever you have put a newer version or not.

Pulling the chip and program it that way is useful for a chip that is corrupt (but possible to salvage) or not programmed in the first place.

The Epyx FastLoad dumper is linked on the AR site I linked to in post #51. It would supposedly require you to download it to a SD card, transfer it to a floppy disk without the FastLoad plugged in, insert the cartridge and remove the SD2IEC, dump the cartridge ROM to a floppy disk, remove the cartridge and put the SD2IEC back, transfer the ROM image to the SD card and then to a PC to upload it for debugging. Somewhere along the way you will want a copying program, perhaps CBM=Command.

R.Cade dumped the Better Working cartridge 2.5 years ago, and considered it to mostly be a FastLoad replica, at least with the standard turbo. If you hold down C= on power on, it is faster but less compatible. Did you try it in both modes?

I downloaded the Epyx FastLoad firmware package and actually found two versions of the BIN. Now I'm investigating the ways I could load and run it, either from file, from my EasyFlash or from a regular 8/16K EPROM cartridge, unless of course the schematics of the FastLoad contain anything custom.

Update on the cartridge creation attempt: Neither BIN file would boot on my generic 8/16K cartridge, but instead just generated a black image.

At least I got an excuse for upgrading my old uIEC/SD from 0.10.3 to the very latest version, and it worked by just dumping files on the SD card and let the device do its work.

Edit: Ok, the Multi Easy collection for EasyFlash 1 contains a modified FastLoad. I'm not sure if I have the patience to reflash my current cartridge for this, as rest of the utils on this collection don't seem hot enough to keep, only for testing purposes and then I'd reflash it back.

Edited by carlsson

C= + RUN/STOP will blink the LED on the sd2iec and it does not stop. The cursor does not come back in command mode so I can enter a @.

Edit: Ok, the Multi Easy collection for EasyFlash 1 contains a modified FastLoad. I'm not sure if I have the patience to reflash my current cartridge for this, as rest of the utils on this collection don't seem hot enough to keep, only for testing purposes and then I'd reflash it back.

Just tried this with my real Epyx Fastload cart (and Jiffy disabled)

- First time I hit C= R/S I get ?DEVICE NOT PRESENT ERROR, and a return to the READY prompt.

- Second time I hit C= R/S it loads the FB correctly from the SD2IEC.

Trying this with the Epyx Fastload from Multi-Easy.crt flashed to my Easy Flash 3 - I hit C= R/S and the cursor stops blinking and the system apparently locks up.

• Like 1

Your description seems normal with a real Fastload card. You have to wait a few seconds after you turn the C64 on before the sd2iec will work. The Fastload cart makes this more sensitive since it bypasses the RAM check and comes up quickly.

So now your FL cart works but the FL in Multi-Easy does not? I am confused with the troubleshooting steps. Before you said your FL cart gave a 98/99 error.

EDIT: Nevermind, different people are posting what happens on their setup.

Edited by R.Cade

Yeah, I also observe that you have to wait a few seconds for the LEDs to clear before you can access a SD2IEC type of device. With that kind of delay, supposedly the FastLoad cartridge should work, but for whichever reason we're having a few people now with different issues. Furthermore I noticed that in WinVICE x64 there is a separate option to attach a FastLoad cartridge image, different from regular 8/16K images which tells me it indeed it can't be made to run on a standard cartridge board like I tried yesterday. Perhaps the patched version as found on the Multi-Easy would work though, or perhaps the EasyFlash connects all the signals and has hardware enough to run that type of program.

Interesting case, hopefully we'll come up to a conclusion sooner or later.

It could also be a sign of being humble. If you name your product the Ultimate, the Final, the Superior, it better hold up to its name in every possible way. Also it suggests there are no improvements to be made, this product is the best one you'll ever see, both from you and from your competitors. By calling it the Penultimate, they give themselves some wiggle room that there may come another one, even more advanced cartridge for the VIC-20, and there should not be any confusion how it is possible that one can make a cartridge that is better than the Final Ultimate Superior Cartridge.

On the other end, we have the 1541 Ultimate that already proved itself to not being the ultimate, as the manufacturer made the 1541 Ultimate II and I think another version is under development. The name is highly marketable and recognizable yes, but once we get to 1541 Ultimate V it will start to look silly, just like Final Cartridge III which fortunately didn't get any further updates.

Edit: Oh yes, just in the other thread it is discussed a new batch of the Final Expansion, which I think got to revision 3 before it was mass produced in the first place. Yet you could argue whether that design really is the final expansion you'll need, or if there are other VIC-20 cartridges just as capable or more, but the name already is set in stone.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...