IGNORED

New Atari 8-bit book released: Breakout: How Atari 8-Bit Computers Defined

gozar

Fred_M, I love these stories.

Those were the days. During that Intertoys 'liquidation sale', I bought an extra 800XE and cartridges, and put most of it away at my mothers along with almost all of my other 8 bit stuff.

Last year I went to get it and she said she threw it all away. My disk drives, 130XE, XEP 80 too. It might still be there though, she won't let me check that part of the house and I respect that :) .

I agree with your line of thought that those early 800XE's probably came about through the (East German) language connection.

Yes, I bought some sets at Intertoys too, because we did not get any lightguns and some packages had different cartridge titles ;-) I really hope she did not throw everything in the trash :?

If you want to read more old stories, just go to pokey.nl and download some of the old magazines ;-)

(for English speaking people, these magazines are in Dutch. But there are 3 "The best of Pokey" magazines also available which are in English)

Edited by Fred_M

Yes,

the 800XE was sold in two versions here in Germany: a) with 8 RAM chips (8K each) and b) with 2 RAM chips (32k each; on a 130XE board with two empty RAM spaces). The version with the 8 RAM chips was available from 1986 or 1987, the version with the 2 RAM chips since 1990 or 1991 (the version with the 2 RAM chips has the faulty GTIA chips). I had both versions of the 800XE but did not like the keyboard and gave them away. So yes, an (older version) Atari 800XE with 8 RAM chips does exist! The older version of the 800XE did NOT have a 130XE keyboard, there was only space for 8 RAM chips (and no empty space on the board for more RAM chips). Both 800XE versions do have the ECI...

The 130XE was available since 1985 with 16 RAM chips and since 1990 or 1991 with 4 RAM chips (and this later version also had the faulty GTIA). I have never seen a 65XE here in Germany with 8 RAM chips (so I am not sure if a PAL 65XE with 8 RAM chips does exist), I only saw and owned the later version with 2 RAM chips (and faulty GTIA). The (PAL) 65XE has the ECI...

Atari advertized the 800XE in various german magazines, because the 800XL had been so popular in Germany. One of these adverts appeared 1987 in Happy Computer 2. Atari XL/XE Sondermagazin, it was the back-cover of the magazine showing a screenshot of FSII on the upper half and the 800XE and its technical details on the lower half of the A4 page...

Oh, in the mid-nineties Media Markt and others sold 65XE, 800XE and 130XE computers, each with 10 XE carts for 99 DM (german marks) in some parts of Germany, they even advertized this ! Yes, a big german electronic discounter made adverts for selling Atari 8Bit in 1994/1995 ;-) Alas, they got lots of defective A8 computers (not only with faulty GTIA, the computers did not work!) and most of them were brought back by the customers. When I arrived in a small city in southern Germany (near Stuttgart), Media Markt only had palettes with defective XE computers left and allthough the computers were defective (and they even told me this!) they did not want to sell them cheaper. They told me, I could buy the defective computers for 99DM and since I already had all the XE carts they came with, I did not do that and drove home instead. Nowadays I would buy ten XE carts (shrink-wrapped) for 99DM (approx. 50$)... ;-)

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Very interesting CharlieChaplin!

So the 8-bit line with 10 cartridges was also available at Media Markt (we have them too in The Netherlands, but not in 1995) in Germany. Do you know if they sold them in all stores? I have traced back the "liquidation sale" to spring/summer 1995. I wrote an article about the sale in the Dutch Pokey Magazine and I wrote that there were 160 pallets available (containing 8-bit computers, 7800, 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, ST and software). There must have been a huge lot of 8-bit computers in there, because Intertoys sold the sets (in Holland just 59.95 guilders) in over 200 stores in Holland. But if Mediamarkt also sold the XE computers in all of Germany, 160 pallets does not sound much.... Or maybe Media Markt sold them earlier or Atari Benelux had much more stock to offer than was available at the liquidation sale....???

Anyway, one thing is clear Atari Europe still had massive amounts of stock in the nineties.

PS I will look at my 65XE's to see how many RAM chips they have ;-)

Great information, CharlieChaplin.

I hope a new version of the book can be updated with the information in this thread.
Perhaps only the Kindle version.

Fred, I remember Pokey, I had a few of them back in the days.

Something to look into this summer.

Yes,

the 800XE was sold in two versions here in Germany: a) with 8 RAM chips (8K each) and b) with 2 RAM chips (32k each; on a 130XE board with two empty RAM spaces). The version with the 8 RAM chips was available from 1986 or 1987, the version with the 2 RAM chips since 1990 or 1991 (the version with the 2 RAM chips has the faulty GTIA chips). I had both versions of the 800XE but did not like the keyboard and gave them away. So yes, an (older version) Atari 800XE with 8 RAM chips does exist! The older version of the 800XE did NOT have a 130XE keyboard, there was only space for 8 RAM chips (and no empty space on the board for more RAM chips). Both 800XE versions do have the ECI...

The 130XE was available since 1985 with 16 RAM chips and since 1990 or 1991 with 4 RAM chips (and this later version also had the faulty GTIA). I have never seen a 65XE here in Germany with 8 RAM chips (so I am not sure if a PAL 65XE with 8 RAM chips does exist), I only saw and owned the later version with 2 RAM chips (and faulty GTIA). The (PAL) 65XE has the ECI...

Atari advertized the 800XE in various german magazines, because the 800XL had been so popular in Germany. One of these adverts appeared 1987 in Happy Computer 2. Atari XL/XE Sondermagazin, it was the back-cover of the magazine showing a screenshot of FSII on the upper half and the 800XE and its technical details on the lower half of the A4 page...

Oh, in the mid-nineties Media Markt and others sold 65XE, 800XE and 130XE computers, each with 10 XE carts for 99 DM (german marks) in some parts of Germany, they even advertized this ! Yes, a big german electronic discounter made adverts for selling Atari 8Bit in 1994/1995 ;-) Alas, they got lots of defective A8 computers (not only with faulty GTIA, the computers did not work!) and most of them were brought back by the customers. When I arrived in a small city in southern Germany (near Stuttgart), Media Markt only had palettes with defective XE computers left and allthough the computers were defective (and they even told me this!) they did not want to sell them cheaper. They told me, I could buy the defective computers for 99DM and since I already had all the XE carts they came with, I did not do that and drove home instead. Nowadays I would buy ten XE carts (shrink-wrapped) for 99DM (approx. 50$)... ;-)

Thanks CharlieChaplin, Fred_M, and everyone else for the additional notes -- I just saw this thanks to a kind alert from Paul. I remember thinking when I wrote the book, "don't go too far into the 800XE, since you never lived in Europe or had a European model and could end up sounding like an idiot." And I wrote one or two sentences and still managed to sound like an idiot, because the 800XE is based on the 65XE, not the 130XE. Doh!

Seriously, though, thank you everyone for reading and/or talking about the book. I'm not here every day, but I'll try and check in whenever I can. You can also come drag me off of ExtremeTech, which is where I spend the majority of my time, along with playing with my wonderful almost-two-year-old daughter. And figuring out how to maintain a 110-year-old house I had no business thinking I knew how to "just fix up here and there." That's a story for another day...

Edited by wizardschamber
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the site; I actually joined it thanks to Jamie's book (I saw it mentioned therein)! Excellent book, Jamie. I got it last month and just finished reading it. Thank you so much! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I grew up using Atari computers and haven't touched one for about 20 years. Now I'm digging into the forums, getting into emulation (Altirra and Steam SSE are awesome) and considering getting some actual hardware again!

Really enjoying the site; it's been a delight to read the topics and rediscover the magic of Atari computers. Thanks, everyone. :)

• Like 3

Yes, me too. The Atari 800 was my first computer with a real keyboard. I was learning code on a Timex Sinclair prior to the A800. Night and day for me. I thought I was something when I advanced from cassette tapes to the Atari 1050. Good times learning and discovering new things. While other kids were playing games, I was opening things up and wondering how it all worked. Any how, I hope the book helps to remember some of those early years.

Almost identical progression... just that started from 400+tapes (occassional peeking at my cousing's ZX81), and then moved to 800XL+IndusGT, which felt like a quantum leap into the cosmos!!! 8-)

Along all these years, and after the sweet and cherished memories and wonders of discovering the new, there is only two (2) pieces of equipment that have brought most of that back: the 800 (+mandatory Incognito) that I always wanted and could never get... and most recently the uber-powerful HP Z840, which seems out of this world, as much as I remeber the 800 // Star Raiders combo in a large projection screen!!! ;-))

Cheers!!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Wizard- didn't your book get ripped off (i.e. copied and pasted) and re-sold under a different author on Amazon? Did you get that cleared up?

Also- great book.

Thanks! It did get cleared up; eventually, Amazon pulled the offending "copy" of it, though I never learned who it was or what happened. I did learn that I am far from the only person this has happened to, which is depressing. I'll never know for sure how many copies of the other one were sold instead of my real book. I doubt it was that many.

Anyway, I went and wrote another book, this time on the 2600 (I was already mostly done), and now I'm working on a third book. So it's not like any of this stopped me either. :) I can't help myself...

• Like 3

I have "Breakout" and "Adventure". Any hint as to what the third book will be covering?

Thank you! Next one is on the ST. I haven't talked about it much at all, because I'm still researching it and planning it.

At some point down the line, I'll swing back around and do a second edition of Breakout, since the 800 is still my favorite platform of all time (though it's really hard to pick just one). But I have a lot of writing to do first!

• Like 1

Can't wait! I had a 520ST and a 1040ST; they were my next computers after the 800XL.

Really enjoyed these machines. I use a PC clone now, and while they have some cool software, they'll never be as enjoyable as those first machines that sparked my interest in computing! ?

• Like 1

At some point down the line, I'll swing back around and do a second edition of Breakout, since the 800 is still my favorite platform of all time

If you do a second edition, it would be really nice to see a section on all of the fantastic new hardware that has shown up for the A8 in the last decade. Getting my XLs to jump through hoops that didn't exist (and in many cases weren't even thought of) is my absolute favorite thing about modern A8 computing. It's what keeps me passionate about this almost 35 year old machine of mine.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 8/12/2018 at 7:24 PM, wizardschamber said:

At some point down the line, I'll swing back around and do a second edition of Breakout, since the 800 is still my favorite platform of all time (though it's really hard to pick just one). But I have a lot of writing to do first!

Do you mean a real second edition, as in pretty much the same as the first edition with some additional material, or more like a volume 2? I was planning to pickup Breakout, but if you're already planning to do a second edition, there's probably no sense in me getting it. I'll just wait for the second edition.