IGNORED

Modded heavy 6er, experiancing video issues.

milamontagne

Hi everyone.

Some time ago, I got my 2600 modded for composite, s-video, and stereo audio.

About a month back, the video started going from green to red intermittently (Kaboom!).

A few weeks back it started flashing brighter and brighter red untill the video cut out. A power

cycle solves this, though not for long. Its more prevelant the longer the system is used, so it maybe a heat or power issue. The sound dies just as the video goes to black and white for a second before the video cuts out entirely.

I purchased a retrobit replacement powersupply, thinking the original one was dying. This seemed to

fix the issue for about a day or so and then the same issues returned.

I've opened the Atari up, but i can't get to the main chips without desoldering/cutting the wires connecting the video out mod chip. I'd like to get an opinion as to what else i can do before I get any deeper.

Does anyone have any advice on what i should try or what chips need to be replaced?

Also, does the RF circuitry need to remain in place? I'll have some pictures as soon as i can get my bench cleared and the 2600 opened up.

Thanks for your time!

what do you have it connected to, composite or svideo

if composite have you tried svideo

if svideo have you tried composite

if yes to above what does it do

I've tried both S-video and Composite. Both have the same result. Flashes of red, brightening untill a brief switch to black and white before video and sound cut out.

I'm still very much a novice but when you did the upgrade did you have all the caps replaced? It is cheap and fairly easy to do other than the desoldering piece. I bought my kit from here.

What I can say for certain is you can completely remove the RF box if you want. It was mostly likely completely disabled when you had your mod done. It's a bitch to get out without a desoldering gun.

I do not really care for my composite. When it works, does the s-video look vastly better?

I'm still very much a novice but when you did the upgrade did you have all the caps replaced? It is cheap and fairly easy to do other than the desoldering piece. I bought my kit from here.

What I can say for certain is you can completely remove the RF box if you want. It was mostly likely completely disabled when you had your mod done. It's a bitch to get out without a desoldering gun.

I do not really care for my composite. When it works, does the s-video look vastly better?

Thanks for the link to the kit - I might as well replace the caps + voltage regulator if I'm going to be fully opening it up. As far as S-video, yes, it looks MUCH better.

Now if I could only get an idea of what I need to replace before I open it up... I see a post below that mentions the RIOT and TIA chips. I understand the TIA is the television interface adapter (Duh) but the other chip I dont know. Is there a good source for both of these? I've ordered paddle pots from best electronics, maybe they carry spare chips?

My Atari used to have a similar problem. The chips were NOT the issue. Check your resistors with a multi meter and make sure that your connections and solder joints are protected and clean. If you can, please remove the RF box and that red thingy and the connector for the now unwanted RF cable. Your issue is coming from multiple things. But Ataris are getting around 30 - 35 years old, so they are in need of new caps and resistors. No worries, more than likely it is NOT a chip.