IGNORED

BlissGDX

jenergy

Hi everyone, I'm the author of jzintv4droid, the porting of terrific jzintv emulator.

I'm back from hell..over these years, a lot of people wrote me that android port did not work correctly on their own device, especially for video and audio problems. In my own devices I have audio problems too, in one device audio is totally unavailable, I never understood the reason of it, but I always thought it was a big lack. And a lot of users properly reported me that the lack of joystick control was a big lack too.

Meanwhile, I discovered (and used for personal projects) library libGDX (https://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/), a really write-once-deploy-everywhere java library, which allows indeed to deploy your creations on desktops (PC windows, Linux, Mac), Android, Ios and HTML5 (by translating java code in javascript code)

With libGDX, by following simple rules, video, audio and controller management are written once and the deploy process will manage the correct 'translation' on the target. So I decided to create a libGDX project for the intellivision emulator, initially I started by translating from c jzintv code, but then I found over the internet an old (but still working) version of BLISS java code, Kyle Davis emulator, and I created BlissGDX project. I worked on it in these last weeks, and I obtained a fully working android, desktop and HTML 5 demo of Bliss. It's just a demo, I worked only on the video part..some speed/performance tuning must be still done (on old android devices it works slow, while on recent devices it's perfect, and the HTML5 javascript translation is choppy on older PCs). Since I already worked on libGDX I know that the missing audio and controller part should work perfectly, I don't see any reason for think the opposite.

Kyle Davis in his code already implemented zip files and save game management, snapshot feature, and ECS and IVOICE are emulated too, so the fun part has still to start.

I'm particularly happy about the HTML5 management, seeing it on chrome is really cool. Bliss already was able to be executed with an applet but with latest java environments on latest browsers I could not be able to launch it. Now I can see it on browsers again.

I've read in some yahoo group that Kyle is back from hell too, and wants to re-enter in the coding world of intellivision, I'd like to know if he already started to work on it, and if he thinks that sharing efforts can be useful.

Meanwhile, what do you all think about it? Are there other in-progress intellivision emulator/porting developments?

Unfortunately I don't have any IOS devices, so I never deployed projects on them, is someone of you able and wants to try an IOS deploy of project?

P.S. Google wrote me that will remove jzintv4droid from google play, as long as I won't provide a 'valid privacy policy'.. I don't want to spend time for the moment to understand what this means (it' something about wrong permissions of app), but don't be surprise if you don't find it on google play anymore.

Edited by jenergy
  • Like 6

over these years, a lot of people wrote me that android port did not work correctly on their own device,

First off, Thanks for jzintv4droid. It is one of the most used app on my phone. It is very awesome!!!

I'm one of those people that wrote you over the years. I think it was to ask about support to resize the window or something in Remix OS or the Remix OS Player.

I am very glad to hear you're back. I hope you're back for good. I look forward to anything new you are working on and I wish I could offer some help but I have virtually no knowledge of the modern internet programming languages.

I might be able to investigate and/or help create a privacy policy for the Google Play store if it would help.

Thanks for working on Intellivision projects.

Yes thanks for your efforts. I have a question. What intellivision file formats does bliss support? Does it get memory configuration from .cfg or .rom files?

Edit: I'm not too concerned about google play. I don't need it to install Android programs.

Edited by mr_me

• 6 months later...

Hi, here's an update on project. I ported also jzintv into libGDX world, and this offers a lot of funny opportunities.

I finally decided to create a single app(called IntellivisionGDX) where I will try to add both jzintv and bliss. For the moment, here you can find only the jzintv part. It is just a demo, but the bad and difficult stuff has been done! Now I'm gonna develop the funny missing part, just like:

Custom game profile(hide, move and change size of screen conrtols, change game screen size)

Zip roms management

Joypad/joystick management

Screenshots

Auto .cfg management for known games

Ecs keyboard

Save/load games

If some of you are interested or have suggestions(or if you want to contribute) , please let me know

Bye

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwMzTWP4G1a5dkt0dUFUVnU5NVV2SUpWQ2lUdUtDTUJPc1Fr/view?usp=drivesdk

• Like 2

It's good. Here are some suggestions.

-user specified jzintv command options

-4:3 aspect ratio by default

-larger side action buttons; you only need three of them

-option for direction pad on right, buttons on left

-option to switch to left/right Intellivision controller

-navigate local/external memory for rom files

Hi, here's an update on project. I ported also jzintv into libGDX world, and this offers a lot of funny opportunities.

I finally decided to create a single app(called IntellivisionGDX) where I will try to add both jzintv and bliss. For the moment, here you can find only the jzintv part. It is just a demo, but the bad and difficult stuff has been done! Now I'm gonna develop the funny missing part, just like:

Custom game profile(hide, move and change size of screen conrtols, change game screen size)

Zip roms management

Joypad/joystick management

Screenshots

Auto .cfg management for known games

Ecs keyboard

Save/load games

If some of you are interested or have suggestions(or if you want to contribute) , please let me know

Bye

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwMzTWP4G1a5dkt0dUFUVnU5NVV2SUpWQ2lUdUtDTUJPc1Fr/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks for bringing these projects up to date!

• 3 months later...

jenergy, thanks for your awesome work on jziny4droid. I have been trying to install it on any Android device I own with alternate success.

I am trying to download your latest apk but the link seems unavailable.

Could you verify the access policy to your file?

Ps

You should consider the support of Android TVs and Bluetooth joysticks.

Edited by artrag
  • Like 1