IGNORED

UnoCart - DIY article in excel magazine issue #4

Hi All,

As some of you may have noticed, I've been writing a series of DIY Atari 8-bit hardware articles for Excel magazine.

For Issue #4 (due soon) I've contributed articles on both the Pixels Past 8k and 16k EPROM based cartridges, and also building instructions for my own latest design, the UnoCart.

Building your own UnoCart is not massively difficult and involves just a small amount of easy (thru-hole) soldering.

The key item is a STM32F407 Discovery board, which is readily available from most electronics suppliers for <£20. Using an off the shelf arduino-like board avoids almost all of the difficult soldering.

post-41252-0-98623600-1490788425_thumb.jpg

The only hard to get item is a Atari cartridge breakout board (pictured). The article describes how you can get these made from the provided files yourself from a PCB manufacturer (a batch of 10 can be obtained for not much more than £10 from the cheap chinese suppliers), but I thought it would be easier if I offered some spare ones here. These are suitable for XL/XE machines.

post-41252-0-41115000-1490788619_thumb.jpg

So, if anybody is planning to work through the project in Excel magazine (and wants to get ready in advance), then I've got about 8 cartridge breakout boards spare and available for £3 + P&P. Please reply here if you want one.

Can I ask that anybody asking for a board confirms they have already reserved their copy of issue #4 of Excel magazine, since I'd prefer these boards to go to readers of the magazine.

Robin

• Like 7

I can't wait for Excel #4 (already ordered) to read the UnoCart - DIY article :) Excel #1-3 are really great !

I assume that a Atari cartridge breakout board is the same that you already posted months ago,

but I wondered if I need exactly the STM32F407 Discovery board as on the picture?

Will the following boards work as well?

STM32F407VGT6

STM32F407VET6

I can't wait for Excel #4 (already ordered) to read the UnoCart - DIY article :) Excel #1-3 are really great !

I assume that a Atari cartridge breakout board is the same that you already posted months ago,

but I wondered if I need exactly the STM32F407 Discovery board as on the picture?

Will the following boards work as well?

STM32F407VGT6

STM32F407VET6

The breakout board is a bit longer (as long as I could make it while keeping it in the cheapest price band for PCBs) so it will fit and work in an XL as well as an XE. Otherwise the same.

The two items you lists are simply the part numbers for the bare microcontrollers themselves.

The Discovery development board used breaks out all the pins to headers (so no soldering), and has all the decoupling capacitors and voltage regulator required to support the microcontroller.

EDIT - it also allows easy programming of the firmware via USB from a PC, so no other hardware required.

Robin

Edited by electrotrains
  • Like 1

If you know what you are doing then any development board that has a STM32F407VET6 or VGT6 should work ok, as long as it breaks out the required pins, and can be powered by 5v from the cartridge port.

Obviously the article (and any support from me!) is limited to the "official" discovery board.

Robin

Edited by electrotrains
  • Like 1

I've still got a few breakout boards left, if anyone else wants one. Postage to the USA (and Europe) is only £2. Issue #4 of Excel (with the DIY UnoCart article) is due out in the new few days.

A huge amount of work goes into each issue - so even if you don't fancy building a DIY UnoCart - please support this great new magazine by ordering your copy.

Robin

Edited by electrotrains
  • Like 5

I've still got a few breakout boards left, if anyone else wants one. Postage to the USA (and Europe) is only £2. Issue #4 of Excel (with the DIY UnoCart article) is due out in the new few days.

A huge amount of work goes into each issue - so even if you don't fancy building a DIY UnoCart - please support this great new magazine by ordering your copy.

Robin

used it as an opportunity to order all four issues!

• Like 1

Not directly related to the magazine orders, but if you're thinking of building one, I just wanted to say I received my Uno Cart today, spent a little while converting my collection of .bin files to .car versions and have been giving it a good set of tests - I haven't yet tried .xex or .atr compilations, but for cartridges it's working pretty darn well! I'm very pleased, especially given the incredibly reasonable price.

My only question has to do with the .html conversion tool hosted on Github ... aside from trial and error and basic common sense, is there any way to know what type of format to select when converting .bin files to .car? For those damnable OSS carts, at least the AtariWiki site has .car files already in a number of formats. :)

Anyway, thanks to Electrotrains (and FJC for his fantastic little firmware and file searching!) ... This is a great little cart.

post-30400-0-62493300-1491695327_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-75393000-1491695345_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-25737900-1491695360_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-18048100-1491695378_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...