IGNORED

Skyway

Asmusr

I have turned the 3D scrolling routine from the Megademo into a little game.

You move the ball left and right with the joystick and jump using the fire button. You get points from touching non-blue squares, and you die if you fall into space or hit the sparks. There's currently only one track, and you only have one life.

As you might have noticed, I have borrowed some graphics from Bouncy.

I'm not sure where to go with this, so if you have ideas for the gameplay please let me know.

skyway.dsk

skyway8.bin

skyway.rpk

• Like 15

Nice need to adjust the shadow when you jump it should get smaller and be a oval

If the light source is very close to the ball the shadow should get larger - not smaller - because the ball would block a larger part (solid angle) of the light as it gets close to the light source. But if the light source is far away, like the sun, the shadow stays the same size. It's true that it should be oval when the light is not coming from directly above, but I'm reusing the pattern from the ball as the shadow.

Looks good.

I have some ideas.

1. Ability to speed up and slow down the scrolling, or at least the ability to slow it then it auto speeds up. Joystick down for slow down.

2. By slowing it down You could maximise score on the non blue tiles, but at the same time a higher score for completing the level faster.

3. some random (or not random) death tiles in the map in amongst the scoring tiles or elsewhere.

Here's a new version where I have added some music ripped from the SMS game Buggy Run. The music seems to introduce a few hiccups in the display, perhaps because it overruns the frame? I haven't tested it on a real 9918A machine yet.

It seems to play just fine on an F18A equipped console. I have one major issue with this game though... it's too dang addicting! No sooner do you finish a game, it's right back at the start just taunting you to play again. --- A MUST PLAY!

Here's a new version where I have added some music ripped from the SMS game Buggy Run. The music seems to introduce a few hiccups in the display, perhaps because it overruns the frame? I haven't tested it on a real 9918A machine yet.

Very possible - the music player is still more heavy weight than I'd like. I've toyed with making a 30hz version that splits the work across two frames (do two channels each frame instead of all four). That would help in many cases.

Looks good.

I have some ideas.

1. Ability to speed up and slow down the scrolling, or at least the ability to slow it then it auto speeds up. Joystick down for slow down.

2. By slowing it down You could maximise score on the non blue tiles, but at the same time a higher score for completing the level faster.

3. some random (or not random) death tiles in the map in amongst the scoring tiles or elsewhere.

I have a version now where I can both slow down and speed up using the joystick (so 3 speeds: slow, normal, fast), but I just keep playing in the fast speed like a racing game. 'Fast' allows you to jump longer (since the jump is the same height/duration) but requires faster reflexes, whereas slow makes it difficult to jump over holes but a bit easier to run over the tiles you want.

I think it would be better to allocate speed changes to tile colors instead, so that touching a certain tile color would speed you up for a few seconds, for instance. I'm thinking of mapping tile colors to effects like this:

01 Black:        Space/death
02 Green medium: Speed duration 2 
03 Green light:  Speed duration 3
04 Blue dark:    No action
05 Blue light:   No action
06 Red dark:     Slow duration 3
07 Cyan:         Forced long jump
08 Red medium:   Slow duration 2
09 Red light:    Slow duration 1
10 Yellow dark:  Points x1
11 Yellow light: Points x2
12 Green dark:   Speed duration 1
13 Magenta:      Extra life
14 Grey:         Points x3 (or confusion)
15 White:        Points x4

Distinguishing between different shades of the same color would be too difficult for the player, I think, so I suggest they produce different durations of the same effect.

A confusion tile that inverts your movement, like in Bouncy, could also be an option - perhaps mapped to grey.

Regarding death tiles, unless I introduce an energy level instead of instance death, I don't think there's a need to introduce another tile than the space tile. But some levels could have space tiles appearing randomly.

• Like 2

This game has the power!!! it is a like bouncy 3D or bouncy 2 :D
I also would like a different final main sprite from the bouncy game please :P
Maybe a human like in space harrier ? :) ;) ...yeah i do not know if it could be possible, just an idea :P

post-24673-0-78455600-1491391207_thumb.jpg

Edited by ti99iuc

This game has the power!!! it is a like bouncy 3D or bouncy 2 :D

I also would like a different final main sprite from the bouncy game please :P

Maybe a human like in space harrier ? :) ;) ...yeah i do not know if it could be possible, just an idea :P

attachicon.gifSkyway.jpg

If you have an actual suggestion I would be happy to consider it. 16x16 (or 16x32) and max 2 colors + a shadow in 16x16 one color.

• Like 1

If you have an actual suggestion I would be happy to consider it. 16x16 (or 16x32) and max 2 colors + a shadow in 16x16 one color.

Thanks for the infos. Maybe the ZX Spectrum sprite could be very close to have an example about a 1 or 2 color sprite.

or something similar... sorry i haven't experience in build sprite multicolor :P just try some example.

post-24673-0-57630800-1491423258.png post-24673-0-04026700-1491423273.png

Is scrolling horizontally possible as well with your routines?

No I'm afraid not. It's not really scrolling, it's just scanline accurate color switching.

post-35226-0-47381900-1491451437_thumb.png

This is a static image. The Skyway track is the result of being able to switch to a new color palette for each scanline.

• Like 2

Thanks for the infos. Maybe the ZX Spectrum sprite could be very close to have an example about a 1 or 2 color sprite.

or something similar... sorry i haven't experience in build sprite multicolor :P just try some example.

attachicon.gifSH-flyhuman1.png attachicon.gifs_SpaceHarrier_5.png

It doesn't look very good, does it? I don't really think I want a man, especially not a man with a gun since I don't have any plans for this to be a shooting game. But it would be nice to have another sprite than in Bouncy. One idea would be to use a spring. It could expand and contract when it jumps.

• Like 1