IGNORED

A controller "hub" -- does this even exist?

Yosikuma

So I'm sure it sounds amazingly lazy of me, but with the myriad of controllers out there, I hate having to swap them out in the console itself. I thought: man, it would be fantastic if some sort of "hub" existed where multiple controllers could be plugged in and selected via a switch.

So ... does anything of the sort even exist for 9-pin controllers like those found on the 2600?

Assuming this 4 way switchbox supports all 9 pins, I'd think it would do the trick. Looks like you'd need gender changers to connect the controllers to the box and maybe a custom extension cable to go between the box and the console.

http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/computer-products/switch-boxes/product-40d1-10604.php?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=40D1-10604&utm_campaign=ABCD%204%20Way%20Switch%20Box%2C%20DB9%20Female&gclid=COTTkePXhNMCFRBEfgodA4MFzA

[edit]: there's a link to a more compatible switch box in the above mentioned link

If there were an output signal available on a multi-cart like Harmony that indicated which type of controller the game wanted, a sufficiently talented person would be able to automate the controller selection. That's a mighty big "if" though. There would also have to be some info somewhere to associate a controller type to each game.

Edited by BigO