IGNORED

Sega to Intellivision controller adapter

grips03

On 8/11/2019 at 9:33 PM, grips03 said:

I forgot another member here was working on Genesis to Intv adapter.  Hence I won't be making one.  No reason to have two people working on the same thing.

I believe that is what happened to Atariguy1021, as well.

Well i can't find @7800fan so @grips03 rthe market is wide open.

By the way, if you already know how to turn discrete inputs into INTV joystick code, all I need is a discrete input -> INTV Flashback code.  If you don't know Flashback pin arrangement, make it in either INTV 1 or INTV 2 pin arrangements, and I'll buy an appropriate adapter on my own from @nurmix .

I just need it for games that are "better with a fight stick" and don't need 16 ways on the stick to succeed.So 8 ways with the cardinals and diagonals, and no tertiaries, ls OK by me.

It could be sold to shoryuken.com joystick modders as an INTV solution, but probably, that's a very small sub-market within people who mod their own sticks.  Luckily all the smart stick makerrs start in discrete mode, and hook up PCBs, either designated for a multiconsole board, or hacked existing joypads.

@edladdin already sells a Colecovision solution that he can reproduce on demand.  So there is a market for working form uncoded to a destination system.  Especially when you consider the ergonomic problems caused by the ambidexterization of the default controllers from the INTV tp the Arcadia 2001, namely unbalanced arms, and the best solution is a fight stick.

And usually encoding from discrete, uncoded joystick inputs is easier than translating from one code to another, and usually involved decoding the Genesis code to discrete inputs anyway.

I've heard enough complaints back in the day about iNTV controllers having no alternative.  (I've also heard ones thrown at the Colecovision and 5200.)   Since enough people hate the stock controller, you'd think there'd be a market for fight stick solutions for those games.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Are the Sega Master to INTV, or Genesis/Mega Drive to INTV?

And if Gen/MD, 3 button or 6?

A master system is direct wired, but a Genesis Is encoded to be SMS and 2600 compatible.

There are actually 5 functions on the stick, top, left bottom. Right bottom, no buttons and any or more buttons treated as a whole.

There are 3 pins for the buttons. A button lights AB, BC, and AC.  Pressing any 2 or all 3 gives ABC.

I read the INTV pin code.  Kind of Complex.

Two adapters left.

Here some 2nd run build photos. 

Changes for first run: 

Power supply now included. 

Power supply is labeled so you know you are using the right one. 

Bottom sticker is black like the rest of the adapter. 

Except adapter # 2 is Gray top / Black bottom :)

IMG_2490.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

IMG_2477 (1).jpg

IMG_2479 (1).jpg

IMG_2475 (2).jpg

IMG_2468 (2).jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, grips03 said:

Two adapters left.

Here some 2nd run build photos. 

Changes for first run: 

Power supply now included. 

Power supply is labeled so you know you are using the right one. 

Bottom sticker is black like the rest of the adapter.

IMG_2465.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2463.jpg

I’ve wondered why these use 9V batteries when most consoles use 5V for adapters and such. The NEO-GEO stick I bought from you had 2x1.5V batteries, I think. 

• Like 1

The DC to DC converter inside the Sega / Intv controller adapter takes in 9vDC and outputs 5vDC to the ICs in the adapter.  

The Intellivision arcade stick (made using NeoGeo stick) uses 1 AA battery as the the CPLD inside the arcade stick needs power. 

Both devices need their own power supplies as the Intv does not provide power on its controller ports.

1 hour ago, grips03 said:

I should point out that I've tested the 8BbitDo M30 2.4g wireless Sega Genesis controller with the adapter and it works fine.  So if you want to play Intv using wireless controller here is your solution.

? This tech ages like fine wine.

• Like 1

I want in on next run☺

On 3/12/2020 at 9:05 AM, grips03 said:

I have parts to build 2-3 more adapters.  I'll post ebay link when they are ready.  Adapters will ship with the US power supply needed for it.

On 3/30/2020 at 9:23 PM, grips03 said:

3 adapters are being built and should be ready to ship on March 31.  Color is all black including the power button.

See first post more details.

14 hours ago, grips03 said:

2nd run of adapters are now sold out.  I ordered some more parts for a 3rd run of 2-3 units.  Should be ready in around 3 weeks.  If you want one let me know.

• Like 1

I'm going to keep the price the same as 2nd run.  I recommend placing an order if you want one as I don't think I will revisit this project anytime soon.  I am ordering stickers from the last 3 in the second run, so they will be like all the others.