IGNORED

Did these EA games ever get released on Atari?

zzip

In the Letters to the Editor section of the April 1986 Antic magazine, they printed the following letter from EA president Trip Hawkins, listing a bunch of new games that would be coming to Atari 8-bit that year.

post-50533-0-67118400-1491241329_thumb.png

I know Mail Order Monsters, Racing Destruction Set and Ultima IV did come out, but I don't think I've ever seen the other 5 listed. Did they ever come out?

I'm pretty sure Golden oldies was also released. I was going to say ACS too, but that was Aventure Creator I was thinking of (which is pretty cool itself), I used to have it on cartridge years ago.

I'm pretty sure Golden oldies was also released. I was going to say ACS too, but that was Aventure Creator I was thinking of (which is pretty cool itself), I used to have it on cartridge years ago.

I had Adventure Creator too. ACS is the game on that list that I really wanted back then. I would have bought it in a heartbeat, but I don't think it ever came out.

Are you sure? It's practically the successor to 7 Cities of Gold and would have been a pretty prominent release.

Also criminal that we didn't get it seeing that 7SoG originated on the Atari 800. Then again we got royally screwed in similar ways with the likes of Marble Madness and Klax.

• Like 1

Are you sure? It's practically the successor to 7 Cities of Gold and would have been a pretty prominent release.

Also criminal that we didn't get it seeing that 7SoG originated on the Atari 800. Then again we got royally screwed in similar ways with the likes of Marble Madness and Klax.

Time for another letter-writing campaign to EA? :P

I don't understand the relation between Origin Systems and EA at that time. I know EA eventually acquired Origin, but it was much later, at the 90's. Why Ultima IV is included in that EA note???

EA was distributor for Origin before they bought them. I still remember my Ultima III box had a 'distributed by EA' sticker on it. Still, the inclusion of U4 on that list does seem like a cop-out since the Ultima games were not really put under the EA brand, and had a history of coming to Atari anyway.

Edited by zzip
  • Like 1

EA was distributor for Origin before they bought them. I still remember my Ultima III box had a 'distributed by EA' sticker on it. Still, the inclusion of U4 on that list does seem like a cop-out since the Ultima games were not really put under the EA brand, and had a history of coming to Atari anyway.

Ah, I didn't know EA was distributor for Origin. And yes, kinda demagogic mentioning those third party titles because it wasn't up to EA to release them for Atari or not. I even doubt the EA titles were actually ported and released as a result of the letters they received.

Ah, I didn't know EA was distributor for Origin. And yes, kinda demagogic mentioning those third party titles because it wasn't up to EA to release them for Atari or not. I even doubt the EA titles were actually ported and released as a result of the letters they received.

Perhaps so. But I do recall that 1985 was a year when it seemed like almost nothing was coming to Atari. I think there was still skepticism among publishers whether Tramiel could turn Atari around, whether the 8-bit would still be supported, so they were waiting and seeing. This letter was in 86 when it was looking like yes, the new Atari was actually delivering with new XE and ST models. So it may have happened anyway, but it's good PR to say "it's all thanks to your letters". Still, only about half those promised games got delivered.

but then why promise specific titles if their release was contingent on the sales of others? Leave it at "starting with Mail Order Monsters, Racing Destruction Set, Ultima IV with more to follow"

Maybe they fully intended to do so, or maybe they thought it would garner more interest; who knows...