IGNORED

BASIC games that won't load?

erichenneke

I think error 164 means you didn't set the .atr image in your emulator to be writeable.

Anyway. I did EGYPT.BAS and got a complete LIST and then a SAVEd BASIC.

Here's a .ATR with the two on it.

I didn't play the game, but it seems to be working.

edit: As usual, when I don't test something before posting it, it doesn't work right.

don't try to boot that .ATR. The LIST and BAS files on the .ATR are good, but load them

after booting from a good boot image. ie. boot a good .ATR, then LOAD or ENTER from

my .ATR

thanks for all the help!

It's missing lines 20000 to 32011, there are 4-5 more sectors that weren't linked.

Thanks AtariGeezer and RussG, now I just need to finish this thing...starting with correcting all of my horrendous spelling issues from when I was a kid. Wow!

I also love looking back at how inefficiently coded it is, which reflects the fact that I had just started learning to program at that time (around 1983). :) I plan to leave the coding as-is (which has a certain charm to its extreme rudimentary/simplicity), and I'm just going to finish it up since there are still a few "plot holes" in the adventure/story-line that were never coded, so the play-through can't be completed as-is.

I actually ran across my hand-written notes from when i was a kid and it jarred my memory as to exactly what pieces of the story are still missing.

Gotta love these time machines.

Thanks!

-Eric

• Like 4

no wonder I can't get it to do anything.

where are lines 20000 to 32011?

This is the Directory of the disk including recovered files:

post-26874-0-69120800-1491775260_thumb.png

This is a sector trace of Egypt:

post-26874-0-60791700-1491775248_thumb.png

To fix the original disk, you would need to use DiSkEy on an A8 or use ATR Tools on a PC.

There is 1 sector in the chain that has a bad sector link, sector 352 points to sector 0 (End of File) which should be 353. So it looks more like 12 sectors were lost...

• Like 4

This is the Directory of the disk including recovered files:

attachicon.gifDirectory.png

This is a sector trace of Egypt:

attachicon.gifTrace.png

To fix the original disk, you would need to use DiSkEy on an A8 or use ATR Tools on a PC.

There is 1 sector in the chain that has a bad sector link, sector 352 points to sector 0 (End of File) which should be 353. So it looks more like 12 sectors were lost...

Okay, so you mean there is still some additional code I am missing even with the recovered ATR you sent me ?

12 sectors, yeah, I'd like to get that code!

I have a copy of Diskey on Floppy. Never really used it before, but I know I have it.

How would I use Diskey to modified section 352 to point to 353 to fix the chain on the original floppy disk?

Thanks!

-Eric

Okay, so you mean there is still some additional code I am missing even with the recovered ATR you sent me ?

12 sectors, yeah, I'd like to get that code!

I have a copy of Diskey on Floppy. Never really used it before, but I know I have it.

How would I use Diskey to modified section 352 to point to 353 to fix the chain on the original floppy disk?

Thanks!

-Eric

Actually, AtariGeezer had already recovered the missing 12 sectors in the repaired ATR disk image he had attached.

If you want to fix Bount2_1.ATR using Diskey just make the following:

- Boot Diskey disk while Basic is enabled.

- attach Bounty2_1.ATR (in emulator or insert it in drive #1 if you use hardware)

- Read sector 352 (type "R") then type "M" to go to modification phase.

- Move to the last 3 bytes of the sector which read: 20 00 7D and change to 21 61 7D. exit Modify mode by going further down so to exit the last data row.

- Disky will ask you if you want to right to disk. Type "Y"

- Next sector will be changed to 353

If you would like an easy direct way:

- Read sector 352 "R"

- Type "CTRL-F" to modify next sector. Type 253 for the new sector number (instead of 0) and confirm the change.

The above will take care of file EYGYPT sector sequential order. But the file length is changed (Increased by 12 sectors) and thus need to be adjusted.

To adjust file length, "R"ead sector 362 (a directory sector). You will note that EGYPT file length is set to 214 ($D6).

Type "M" to go to modification mode and change the second byte to E2 (226) and this will take care of file length.

To verify the change Type "F" to inter to file mode. Type "F" a second time to select the file .. Type EGYPT.

Trace the file by typing "T". Diskey should return with intact file. Press "L" to show all sectors related to EGYPT file if you like.

The above will take care of EGYPT file, but still, there are more errors need to be fixed:

DUP.SYS .. sector numbers mismatched (short)

HUNB.SET neet te be renamed to HUNT.SET

CODE.LIS total sectors need to be changed to 30 ($1E) instead of 89 ($59)

In directory sectors 361 and 362 need to change first bytes of each file entry that has a value of $80 (deleted) to $42 (normal closed file).

CTRL-? will show directory listing.

To wrap up the changes, need to fix VTOC. This can be accomplished by typing CTRL-V

Now your ATR/Floppy is fixed.

madi

Edited by Madi
  • Like 7