IGNORED

Amoeba: newly discovered proto software

Savetz

Oh! I should have though of using OS B given the copyright date. Duh.

Backstory: not interesting. I bought this on ebay as part of a batch that had some unpreserved APX disks. I have asked the seller if s/he can give me more info, but haven't heard back yet.

-Kevin

• Like 1

keep digging this was not the last rendition of Amoeba if memory serves.. I don't remember it as a protoype but it should have a serial number in this case the custom vtoc says prototype 21 but 21 is actually the serial number of the program disk, not the revision of the prototype... The name said it all, it could be be moved about in memory and could muck about with whatever was in memory... and you could even move it after your program ran into it's space and continue on. Leave and pick up where you left off... Thom you are doing an excellent explanation of the Amoeba toolkit, I really do enjoy watching this. Please play with Amoeba just a bit more :). How high have you moved it in memory and what memory expansions have you tried axlon/mosaic? Wonderful work.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 4

keep digging this was not the last rendition of Amoeba if memory serves.. I don't remember it as a protoype but it should have a serial number in this case the custom vtoc says prototype 21 but 21 is actually the serial number of the program disk, not the revision of the prototype... The name said it all, it could be be moved about in memory and could muck about with whatever was in memory... and you could even move it after your program ran into it's space and continue on. Leave and pick up where you left off... Thom you are doing an excellent explanation of the Amoeba toolkit, I really do enjoy watching this. Please play with Amoeba just a bit more :). How high have you moved it in memory and what memory expansions have you tried axlon/mosaic? Wonderful work.

Ok, you need to spill. What do _you_ know about it? Particularly the Patch functionality? :)

-Thom

• Like 2

it's almost like somebody wanted something as close to a full ICE (in-circuit-emulator) system as they could get, and was willing to pull off some crazy gymnastics to make it work (For those of you who haven't dabbled in 6502 machine language coding, making code to _EXPLICITLY_ set processor flag states in EACH possible state is not trivial, it takes a lot of crazy gymnastics to do so for some flags in some states.)

-Thom

• Like 1