IGNORED

Favorite type of TV to play VCS

Atarikid96

I was wondering what other people's favorite type of tv is to play the Atari 2600 and other classic consoles of the day. Although I think it is cool to play on a HUGE plasma tv, my favorite is what I currently am using on my systems. I'm using an old 24" Panasonic CRT TV with dials. The picture works great and even has knobs to adjust the color/tint/sharpness/etc. To be honest I think there may be a slightly better picture on the old TVs with my systems. That may just be me, though. What do you prefer?

Any 480i CRT TV in the 20" to 24" size range that says "Trinitron" on it would be my preference for all pre-HD era systems, Atari 2600 included. My current retro gaming TV is a Sony KV-20FS120 WEGA Trinitron and it's my favorite TV to date. :)

Nice. I agree 100%. Also, I just find something awesome about playing old systems on the TVs they are meant for, especially when you power it up and you get that classic CRT white flash and fade in to picture on the screen. Retro! lol

Edited by Atarikid96
  • Like 1

Nice. I agree 100%

Thanks! I've always really liked Trinitrons, since they were generally the best consumer televisions available during their time, but the truth is that all consoles with standard definition analog video output will look and play great on any standard definition CRT TVs. Sony's WEGA Trinitrons may be the fanciest of the bunch but any Panasonic, RCA, Samsung, Sharp, etc., etc. CRT TV that you can find for free on Craigslist will work wonderfully with retro game systems. I just like sticking with ones in the 20" to 24" size range so that I can actually lift and carry them myself. :lol:

Thanks! I've always really liked Trinitrons, since they were generally the best consumer televisions available during their time, but the truth is that all consoles with standard definition analog video output will look and play great on any standard definition CRT TVs. Sony's WEGA Trinitrons may be the fanciest of the bunch but any Panasonic, RCA, Samsung, Sharp, etc., etc. CRT TV that you can find for free on Craigslist will work wonderfully with retro game systems. I just like sticking with ones in the 20" to 24" size range so that I can actually lift and carry them myself. :lol:

True. The reason I use a Panasonic ctl-1942r is just because I found it at my late grandmother's house a couple years back still in the box, and she said I could have it. So i guess there's a little bit of sentimental value for me. I know the Trinitrons have the sharpest image and brightest color as far as old SD CRT tvs go, though. They still go for a decent amount on ebay, depending on the model.

• Like 1

14 inch classic rounded CRT TV, preferably older models (pre-2000), they seem to handle the brightness (white to black) display changes better (less ghosting).

2gy53dx.jpg

Bigger CRT screens tend to display pixels more blurred and honestly, SD resolution, or actually anything below 1080p, do not give enough details to require anything large. Flat screen CRTs have problems with geometry and do not look that authentic.

If I ever come across a Sony Trinitron I will buy it. My Aunt and Uncle have one I think they got from the shop she works at. I'm going to ask her to save the next one for me. :D

Right now I'm using a generic TV called "Durabrand". I think it is 19 inches and the picture is good. Before that I had a 13" Sanyo, but it died.

I"m not a fusspot about television screens, other than remembering the ones I played on as a kid were $hit so anything is an improvement. I just wanted to say I like and appreciate your use of the VCS name rather than the 2600 number. I think it better represents the fuzzy analog warmth of the old Atari game machine.

I"m not a fusspot about television screens, other than remembering the ones I played on as a kid were $hit so anything is an improvement. I just wanted to say I like and appreciate your use of the VCS name rather than the 2600 number. I think it better represents the fuzzy analog warmth of the old Atari game machine.

It just sounds cooler and more authentic to me lol

I want the old experience on a modern screen. Meaning I love playing the old games on and old system but can't wait to upgrade my unit to RGB for a modern TV and clear picture. I do currently play on a CRT but I hate the picture and it's probably way better than when I played as a kid. LOL I do plan to keep an eye out for a PVM though since I don't want to eventually play games that require a gun like Duck Hunt on NES.

High end TVs and modern displays have been my bane. A lot of flickering and color changing effects I use in 2600 games either partially work or don't work the same on slightly different sets.

Give me a VCR and something that takes that to composite any day. Heck, I once added a wireless RF transmitter to introduce more signal noise. When I was a kid the 2600 was regulated to the old TV in the basement.