IGNORED

Did your arcade serve... BEER?

JustinMSalvato

I don't think that video is from 1983. I always thought only kids (teens) played video games in the early 1980s. I know thats not true but what percentage of arcade game players were adults in the early 1980s? Anyone know.

Edit: I can't say from personal experience but I'm sure there was lots of arcade games in the bars. They say that Pong and Pac-man were popular because you could play one-handed. The other hand free for a beer or smoke.

Edited by mr_me

I don't think that video is from 1983. I always thought only kids (teens) played video games in the early 1980s. I know thats not true but what percentage of arcade game players were adults in the early 1980s? Anyone know.

Edit: I can't say from personal experience but I'm sure there was lots of arcade games in the bars. They say that Pong and Pac-man were popular because you could play one-handed. The other hand free for a beer or smoke.

No, it was filmed fairly recently, but it got me thinking about arcades in general.

I don't recall any. In most areas it would be a fine line between being considered a bar or nightclub and no one under 21 would be allowed in. In the 70s and 80s, a kid could not even walk down the liquor aisle of a drugstore or grocery store. The aisles literally had a tubular gate or turn-style entrance.

Also, just about every arcade had strict rules about no beverages near their video games. Think of the daily damage from spilled beer by buzzed players, or worse, games kicked and punched by irate drunks.

I always thought only kids (teens) played video games in the early 1980s. I know thats not true but what percentage of arcade game players were adults in the early 1980s? Anyone know.

I remember having to fight my way around far more adults than kids my own age.

Also amazing how there was next to no obesity back then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdNBk_liGvw

• Like 1

I don't remember any arcades back in the day that served booze. I do remember the local bowling alley had a bar that had more than a couple of arcade games though. Nothing more funny than watching a totally drunk dude drop $25.00 worth of quarters into a Ms. PacMan wondering why he's not able to get his usual high score. :ponder:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dudes...... Nolan's rodent served beer! Most bar's had video games back in those days.

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Chuck-E-Cheese-s-has-always-served-beer-and-6555998.php

The Chuck E Cheese we had in town back in '83/'84 sold beer as well. They had one room dedicated to sports TV, and they had a good selection of beers on tap.