IGNORED

WTB-CIB Sega CD Model 1

Xenofei

Looking to buy a complete, working Sega CD Model 1. CIB for me includes original cables, rf shield, the included discs(cd audio sample, Sherlock Holmes/4 in 1 game), and manuals.

PayPal ready to go, I'm very open to discussing price. Thanks all!

Would you say the reason for this is the mechanical drive?

I still have my original genesis I got in what, 89 I guess. But not my sega cd. I also would want the model 1 because I like the look better with the original genesis, but also its the one I had BITD. Just wondering what to look out for.

Don't do it man, buying a Sega CD model 1 leads to nothing but frustration, graying of hair, and loss of money to repairs. Get a model 2 and save yourself the heartache.

I still have my original genesis I got in what, 89 I guess. But not my sega cd. I also would want the model 1 because I like the look better with the original genesis, but also its the one I had BITD. Just wondering what to look out for.

Most likely he is refereeing to the drive and tray assembly, and possibly failed lasers (though that can happen on model 2 as well). I've had a model one for 5 years now, and it works fine even though the tray hangs up every once in awhile when closing. I always get it to work though, and looks sweet under the model 1 genesis. Bottom line, I wouldn't buy a model 1 unless you don't mind tinkering, in the end it just requires more maintenance.

Edited by Jeremy Popp

Oddly I have a officially refurbished one from the 90's and it works good as well but there are lots of moving parts for failure which they eliminated in the model 2. Thusly Mr's Popp's suggestion on if you like tinkering or not.

I got one of each so I swap from one to the other but the model 2 is easier to use for the most part and less worry about getting a game stuck in the tray as well.

I've seen BIOS chips die, ICs cook themselves, capacitors quit, tray jams, tray becomes loose, screen simply lock up. Sega CD model 1s are ticking time bombs. The model 2 is a lot easier to take care of and more reliable.

• Like 1