IGNORED

How should I store my 2600 games?

TheBluFalcon

I'm running into a bit of a problem. I have a Sears Tele-Games Center, but I have too many games for it. They won't all fit into the slots. I saw an idea on a different thread suggesting to use a big plastic bin, but I was wondering if you guys had any other ideas. Thanks!

Edited by TheBluFalcon

I bought two media shelves from Canadian Tire. One I used to hold VHS tapes, which gave me extra shelves to put on the other. It houses my loose Atari, Coleco, Intellivision, and Odyssey 2 carts quite nicely. I'm not sure the exact model, but any sort of adjustable shelve DVD/CD stands should work. The big benefit when compared to using a bookshelf is that they're all horizontally arranged, rather than being stacked. That doesn't seem that important until you go to play a game. Being able to pull one off the shelf and play without having to restack the piles is a HUGE boon. Definitely the way to go with a larger collection of carts.

For a smaller collection, there are always cartridge stands. The most commonly found one in my neck of the woods holds 12 carts and has a slot for manuals. Grabbing a couple of these may be an option for you as well. Or you could always custom build something.

My advice though, before deciding on how to store them now, is to decide how many carts you plan to collect. Are you going for a full library, or a short list of fun games? Are you planning to collect variants, or only one copy of a given title? Are you planning on collecting loose or boxed games, and if loose, do you still plan to collect manuals? Knowing what your end goal is will allow you to plan out how much space you will need to display everything, thus allowing you to decide on the best option to store them long term. There's no sense in making a huge shelf if you only want 20 or 30 loose carts, but if you want to get every game complete in box, you will most certainly need a shelf or two, and should plan accordingly. There is no right or wrong way to go.

My Atari collection is currently in storage, but when it was active I used a storage rack/tray originally designed for cassette tapes. It held about 30 or 40 cartridges, with the end-label upwards. I found it at my Grandparent's house, so I have no idea where it originally came from.

I store my boxes flattened inside of a larger storage box, and the manuals maintained are in file folders.

I'm running into a bit of a problem. I have a Sears Tele-Games Center, but I have too many games for it. They won't all fit into the slots. I saw an idea on a different thread suggesting to use a big plastic bin, but I was wondering if you guys had any other ideas. Thanks!

CD/DVD shelving unit works great. The shelves are adjustable and you can fit cart only or boxed copies. Everything is easily visible and easy to pull out to play and put back. I have 4 units in my game room :-D Highly recommend!

• 2 months later...

I tried the plastic tub thing. It worked until I got a few more than would fit in the tub, but not enough to require a second tub. So, I switched to stacking them in the upper shelf on my desk, at least until I sell them all. Once I bought the Harmony Encore, then carts became display items, which I don't have room for. I'm more interested in playing than collecting, plus, I can use the money from selling them to buy other Atari items. :)

Double post :(

I have the exact same shelf. However I set mine up vertically because I find putting your shelf on its side might cause your games to fall all over the place especially the way you've stacked them. Interesting you've apparently glued all your action figures to the shelf to keep them from falling ;)

I have the exact same shelf. However I set mine up vertically because I find putting your shelf on its side might cause your games to fall all over the place especially the way you've stacked them. Interesting you've apparently glued all your action figures to the shelf to keep them from falling ;)

I'm not sure why but posting pics here always messes up the rotation. :-P

• Like 1