IGNORED

Favorite 5200 homebrew games

arcadegeek23

Castle Crisis is my favorite, assuming I have four players. Adventure II is a lot of fun if I'm in the right mood, and Beef Drop is great.

Xari Arena I really don't care for, bores me to death. I'm not sure if that really counts as homebrew, anyway.

I am working on organizing my Atarimax cart and I looking for some opinions of favorite homebrews for the 5200. So far I have a short list of what I have played and really enjoyed so far.

Atariblast

Rat Catcher

Beef Drop.

OP's choices. Atariblast looks PHENOMENAL and STUNNING when you first discover it exists - what a great use of the hardware, with extra touches in animation everywhere. I've only played the game once via emulation so I couldn't really judge it yet. The graphics and animation, and the way you can shoot areas to find hidden bonuses, is far beyond what any other 5200 shooter attempted. But isn't it 512K? That's 4 Mbit, the same memory as Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog. It almost seems like cheating, in the same way as those bus-stuffing 2600 games. Well credit is due anyway because the game is impressive, I need to play it some more before I judge. I did not like the original bg music but I think some alternate tunes were contributed. Even in total silence, the game is incredibly impressive graphically and there seems to be plenty of quality shootin' gameplay there too.

Rat Catcher - I ordered it from the store but so far I've only played it once via emulation and keyboard controls, hardly the best way to play a 5200 homebrew. I look forward to learning it and seeing how it plays. The concept doesn't initially appeal to me, but if the gameplay is fun who cares.

Beef Drop - even though Burgertime drives me nuts after the 1st stage, I always thought this was a great homebrew port of it.

There are lots of good 5200 homebrews available, just not in the AA store for some reason. Granted the ones there that are available are great.

http://gooddealgames.com/inventory/Atari%205200.html

The ones there that aren't in the AA store aren't homebrews... they're professional Atari computer games from back in the day that have had their code tweaked to run on the 5200. A real homebrew has been coded from scratch, and sadly there aren't many of those for the 5200. But many thanks to those intrepid few who have done it! (I'm looking at you Cafeman and AverageSoftware!)

Also thanks to those like classics and Wrathchild who have done those XL/XE to 5200 code conversions. They may not really be homebrews, but your effort to give us more games to play on the 5200 is certainly appreciated!

• Like 4

There are lots of good 5200 homebrews available, just not in the AA store for some reason. Granted the ones there that are available are great.

link doesn't work, it put some garbage at the end "%C2%A0"

Xari Arena I really don't care for, bores me to death. I'm not sure if that really counts as homebrew, anyway.

I have to speak up for Xari Arena. I really like this game. The visuals, sounds and overall game play are great. You can play against the AI, or (my favorite) 2 players simultaneously, each with a trak-ball. The trak-ball support is spot on! :)

• Like 1

I have to speak up for Xari Arena. I really like this game. The visuals, sounds and overall game play are great. You can play against the AI, or (my favorite) 2 players simultaneously, each with a trak-ball. The trak-ball support is spot on! :)

I agree, this really is a fun game, and one of the few original titles that only exists on the 5200. It plays well with both the joystick controller and Trak-Ball, and has great two-payer head-to-head action as well. I've setup the game with two Trak-Balls at game shows.

..Al

• Like 2

I don't think I've actually tried it with the trak-ball. Maybe I'll give it another chance this weekend. I do love me some trak-ball games.

Last night I got the finally got the collision detection working on Realsports Curling. The physics are totally wrong, but the collision logic seems solid. This was a really huge step, and I would love to have it done before the end of the year. I have a few other future homebrew projects in mind, and I love the 5200 so much that I'll keep developing for it as long as I can.

I will admit though that I wouldn't mind taking a crack at the 7800.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...