IGNORED

Original 1984 packaging

jeremiahjt

I always wondered how the packaging from the 1984 limited release of the 7800 differed from the later 1986 release. Part of me always doubted that the limited release actually took place, but I think I can put that doubt to rest. I figured at the very least the copyright would be different, but I did not know if the design or art would be different.

The No Swear Gamer had a video showing a few examples of the original packaging and I was wondering if there is anywhere that has all of the original releases. I was honestly surprised nobody has brought his video up in the three months since he published it.

• Like 3

Back when the CGE was still going on, I remember that they had the flattened boxes for Joust, and Ms. Pac-Man on display in the '84 packaging, and perhaps even one of the actual carts on display as well. That would be one of the prides of my collection if I were to ever get a hold of an original '84 released game and box for one of the 7800 titles.

He is showing the 1986 version of the centipede manual which is slightly different than the 1987 version. I wonder if he knows that,

Mitch

So then... we really don't know exactly what the original '84 manuals for the test market 7800 games looked like?

So then... we really don't know exactly what the original '84 manuals for the test market 7800 games looked like?

No, I mean he has an 84 and 86 versions of the manual. The 87 version is slightly different than the 86 version. I believe all of the 86 version boxes and manuals are slightly different from the 87 versions.

Mitch

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
3 hours ago, CincYnoTi said:

I'm listing my 7800 Joust Box on ebay (again).

I found that atari7800.org has collected some photos of the 1984 items:

https://www.atari7800.org/museum.htm

Mine shown here is the one with the top half of the Lionel price sticker. The one on atari7800 has the bottom half of the Lionel sticker :)

JoustFront.jpg

Joust84Box1.jpg

Joust84Box2.jpg

Did the sale fall through?  I saw it sold for $455.

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

An old post for sure, but have any other 84 manuals or boxes been found over the years?   These releases have always fascinated me and I’d love to add one to the collection one day.  

Pretty much what you see here: https://www.atari7800.org/museum.htm

I have a 1984 Pole Position II manual as well but it looks pretty much identical to the common 1987 version.

Mitch

18 hours ago, Mitch said:

Pretty much what you see here: https://www.atari7800.org/museum.htm

I have a 1984 Pole Position II manual as well but it looks pretty much identical to the common 1987 version.

Mitch

I was asking because I have a Pole Position II 7800 manual coming in the mail that is unlike any I’ve ever seen.  I thought there might be a chance it’s an 84 variation, but I’ll have to wait till it arrives to check it out.