IGNORED

Programmer editors for 80 columns?

I am not aware of any. I love The Last Word, but it's huge. I know fjc said at one point he was thinking about using some of that code, to make a stripped down code editor that supported folding. Would be awesome.

Wow, John did a really great job on this package! I had heard about it for years, but never tried it until now.

It's definitely meant for no-nonsense professional use, and it works great with this corvus and XEP80 setup that I have going here. So this is another potential environment to video.

• Like 2

You wrote that that editor (MEDIT) "does not work very well". What is the exact problem? If it works with XEP80, it should work on any E: driver.

I am interested if (or: how) does it work with the VBXE 80-column text mode.

EDIT: ok, I tried it an can see my error now - I thought that MEDIT was integrated with AMAC, while they are two separate programs. And MEDIT does not seem to work through E:, so no question that it "does not work very well" with other than vanilla 40-column display.

Edited by drac030

When there will be something to test already, I am willing to try out a beta (or even alpha) version.

PS. I know of at least two programmers (both of not negligible skill) who during last years undertook to write a new, handy text editor, but both programs ended up LIA.

Edited by drac030

Soon. I am a professional software engineer by day...but I've never undertaken a text editor before. I do have a couple of books on text editor algorithms, including one discussing buffer gaps, which I understand.. so, while this won't be easy, it won't be insurmountable either.

I have an exact small set of features that I want, and I know how I want to interact with the program, so this should be doable.

-Thom

@Thom & Kyle22:

Everything about the XEP80 we have collected here:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=XEP80

Source codes, drivers etc..

That case is closed

My suggestion: mixing this with the sourcce codes we already have? Maybe just adapt to existing editors?

@all:

By the way, AMAC, who wrote it? Who holds the rights? Bob Shepardson?

AMAC is on my top 10 list for the source codes to find and holds #1 besides the Atari Assembler Cartridge

• Like 1

No Roland. I am explicitly writing this editor to use the OS E: device for output, so that it will work with _ANY_ output device. (I do certain things to figure out how big the display is, etc.)

As for who wrote AMAC, it was subcontracted by Atari to another company called Sorcim.

Sorcim was an early software company that spent the first part of its life writing programming languages and assemblers for a variety of different CPUs, and later on were subcontracted by other companies to write application software (e.g. by Adam Osborne to write a cheaper competitor to VisiCalc for the Osborne portable CP/M machines)

-Thom

• Like 2

@Konrad:

I have attached AMAC. These are the original files, except that I renamed the binary executables to .exe, and I patched one byte of AMAC.EXE to bypass the bad sector copy protection check. It will load and run, but it always errors out at Pass 2 Assembly under SDX.

I think I remember Jon having some experience with the same issue, but I don't think he ever found a solution. Please correct me if I'm wrong Jon.

amac.arc

Edit: Good AMAC info here: http://mixinc.net/atari/amac.htm

Edited by Kyle22

It really is a damned good assembler, and if anything, could stand to be patched or made to run under SDX, with command line parameters. Insanely flexible, and the ONLY assembler I am aware of with a full cross reference listing capability (which is GREAT for large projects!)

-Thom

• Like 1

@Ky

@Konrad:

I have attached AMAC. These are the original files, except that I renamed the binary executables to .exe, and I patched one byte of AMAC.EXE to bypass the bad sector copy protection check. It will load and run, but it always errors out at Pass 2 Assembly under SDX.

I think I remember Jon having some experience with the same issue, but I don't think he ever found a solution. Please correct me if I'm wrong Jon.

attachicon.gifamac.arc

Edit: Good AMAC info here: http://mixinc.net/atari/amac.htm

Kyle, thanks. There is something weird going here, as last time I checked, AMAC worked for me. I even still have the object file produced by it (it is 0 bytes, because I just have compiled the SYSTEXT file containing the system labels). But today it does not work, neither the version I tried that time nor yours. It really looks like something needs patching.

• Like 1

Originally I assumed that the issue was that - at the end of the first pass - AMAC expected CIO status code 3 after reading the last byte of the file (but not reading beyond the end of the file, which returns EOF). Back in 1990 or so SDX did not return status code 3 on the last byte of the file, although since then I believe this has been fixed. I must admit I didn't try AMAC since then to see if the change rectified the hang after the end of pass 1, but it appears something is still wrong.

I wrote such a "program" for AMAC:

ORG $2000

START LDA $0600
   STA $0601
   RTS

END $0600
When it asks about parameters, I type D3:TEST.ASM L=S:

It compiles and even generates a listing to the screen, but the object code on the disk ends up to be 0 bytes. I am using Kyle's version of AMAC. Is this the problem which should be found out, or I am doing something wrong?