IGNORED

Just a note about KC Munchkin...

PacManPlus

Hi Guys:

I just wanted to take a second and post something that's been bugging me a little about KC Munchkin.

I've heard quite a few people mention the controls as being an issue with the game, and I just wanted to set the record straight.

The controls in this port of KC were *purposely programmed* to mimic the way the Odyssey 2 version works. As a matter of fact I had to re-work the original routine to act this way. I have to say, anyone who mentions that the Odyssey 2 version controls any differently than this port has not played the O2 version for any amount of time. Back in the day, my best friend had the O2, and we played this game for literally hours on end frequently.

Try it in O2EM even: start moving in a direction, and *immediately* try to reverse. You'll see that you can't until you reach the next 'grid' location.

There is an excellent description of how the controls of KC Munchkin works here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/220324-kc-munchkin/?p=3161818

A few posts down from the post in the link is a visual from Defender_2600

That being said, this is *not* about criticism of a game I have done. I welcome all comments, good or bad. For instance, I have deservedly received criticism for Space Duel not including the tethered option. Truth be told, I couldn't figure out how to do it at the time. I get that, and it's completely warranted and understood. But it kind of irks me a little when I receive criticism for an aspect of the game that acts exactly like the original does.

That being said, I have made a quick modification to KC here to allow the reversal of direction immediately (instead of waiting for an intersection like the original). However, it still will wait for a 'grid' location when coming to a stop (i.e. letting go of the joystick). Let me know if anyone likes this any better...

Thanks for listening, and thank you for your support, and for having my back. :)

Bob

KC.A78

KC.bin

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 13

Ha!

Thanks guys, I just wanted people to know that the controls were a conscious decision, and why they were done that way.

@ZylonBane - :lol: :P

Also, I am knee-deep into the 'other' non-7800 project I am working on, but I am looking forward to getting back to picking up a few games that I had started once I am done...

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 8

Ha!

Thanks guys, I just wanted people to know that the controls were a conscious decision, and why they were done that way.

@ZylonBane - :lol: :P

Right on with your description of the controls! That is a classic feature and makes the game more challenging imo.

I kept the controls like that in my 2600 port, but added a twist to make it harder - the CPU will make decisions for you if you're not poised to turn. Folks who've practiced with the real KC aren't thrown off as badly. Lots of love for that port but plenty of requests to change the controls. However I think it would detract from the fun. I did finally release a Sega-pad compatible version though :)

High praises came from The Odyssey2 Homepage using terms to describe the 7800 port as:

"...impressively accurate...faithfully recreates...strikingly accurate.”
That's a pretty strong endorsement for how well the game is ported to the 7800. Nevertheless, providing an easier to play than the O2 original, allowing quick reversal, is certainly appreciated, Bob...Very cool of you. :cool:
  • Like 1

At Midwest Gaming Classic I brought a handful of 7800 homebrews (and judging from people's reactions, I'm crossing my fingers that Albert will see a spike in sales!). Who should show up? The elusive supercat. He saw that I brought K.C. Munchkin! and he wanted to try it out. I fired it up and he very quickly went to the maze editor and went to town putting together a maze that he used to do all the time on the O2 version. As he was actually playing it, keeping in mind people's criticisms of the controls, I asked him about it. He did say something felt strange. Well, he was playing on my Edladdin All Play 4/8 Supreme 78...and it was in 8-way mode. I had him switch it to 4-way mode, and he said "MUCH better!" But he said yeah, it felt just like the Odyssey2 version in all aspects, including controller response.

• Like 2

High praises came from The Odyssey2 Homepage using terms to describe the 7800 port as:

"...impressively accurate...faithfully recreates...strikingly accurate.”
That's a pretty strong endorsement for how well the game is ported to the 7800. Nevertheless, providing an easier to play than the O2 original, allowing quick reversal, is certainly appreciated, Bob...Very cool of you. :cool:

I believe he played my copy of the game for the review. :)

Mitch

• Like 1