IGNORED

Atari 1200XL

bigbee99

I have acquired a 1200XL computer. This is my 1st Atari computer (I have 3 c64's). From what I have read, there is no kernel chip. I have no carts, disk, or disk drives for that matter. Just the 1200XL and the PS. I'm wondering what you can do with it w/o any other hardware or software. And then I guess I will start my 8-bit Atari collection with a few carts. Maybe Basic or something.

Below is a video link to the machine. Is it powering up correctly?

Thanks

B

What? That colorful Atari logo is totally cool! I could watch it for hours!

But yeah, without some kind of device to run images or a disk or tape drive, cartridges are your only real choice. There are cartridges that will let you load tons of games off a menu though... might be a good option for you.

In fact, if you look at some of the other suggested videos while watching your video, there are some videos on that very subject.

Edited by Tillek
  • Like 1

Looks good so far. The 1200xl does not have BASIC built-in so you’ll probably want to pick up a basic cartridge. There is a lot of software available online but you’ll need a way of getting It off your PC and onto the Atari, for that I would recommend a SD2SIO device (something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-SIO2SD-VB-Disk-Drive-Emulation-SD-Card-SIO-plug-and-cable-READY-TO-USE/172525181341?_trksid=p2045573.c100507.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150817211758%26meid%3Da84b7efe281149f38c88408099412795%26pid%3D100507%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26) which uses SD cards (think Atari’s version of the SD2IEC ) or you can head over to AtariMax and pick up a SIO2PC which allows you to hook up your Atari to your computer using the PC's USB port and use host software such as AtariMax's excellent APE program. This method gives some additional perks like the emutated peripherals (as well as emulated disk drives) but requires your 1200xl to be tethered to a PC.

• Like 2

Atarimax also has a virtual hard drive device that plugs into the cartridge port and uses either CF cards or SD2CF card adapters. There are numerous Input/output devices for Atari's that can plug into just about any orifice on the Atari; cart port, PBI port(not on 1200XL), SIO port, internal upgrades, and use SD/CF, IDE, USB, blue-tooth, RS232, SCSI/MFM (legacy devices only), etc.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

If you have a PC or a MAC (which I assume you do in order to post here) I would get an SIO2PC-USB. This will let you enjoy countless programs, applications, and games all for free. In fact you could even run Basic this way and skip buying a cartridge.

001_s.jpg

Buy Link: SIO2PC-USB

- Michael

• Like 2

I would say - go for a flashcart system - just read up on what's available - or view videos on them in use.

New systems make use of a SDcard, whereas the older systems don't.

Unless you're into collecting carts - instead of collecting single game carts - you can have 20+ games on the one cart, selectable by a simple menu.

Atarimax forums have library lists for their Atarimax carts - as an example of what can you fit into a 8mbit cart.

You need to be aware of what games don't run properly on a standard 1200XL - which should be only a few exceptions?

Harvey

I would still suggest as your first purchase to start off with the SIO2PC-USB, which via RespeQt, APE, or emulation software gives you the fastest way to check out a multitude of software and/or put together a collection (which you will likely need before flashing to a cart). And the offer of a Basic cart for shipping only is also a must have.

When it comes time to break the PC connection, there are numerous solutions for that as well. And since you are new to the A8 you might want to take your time to get acquainted with the various flash cart solutions to see what really fits your needs.

And just in case it isn't clear... The SIO2PC-USB is not simply a read only situation, but can also be written to, so can act like an alternative to a floppy disk drive for directly saving programs to via your 1200XL.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols

I have acquired a 1200XL computer. This is my 1st Atari computer (I have 3 c64's). From what I have read, there is no kernel chip. I have no carts, disk, or disk drives for that matter. Just the 1200XL and the PS. I'm wondering what you can do with it w/o any other hardware or software. And then I guess I will start my 8-bit Atari collection with a few carts. Maybe Basic or something.

Below is a video link to the machine. Is it powering up correctly?

Thanks

B

You can play with the self-test mode :) That's about all you can do with it without software

• Like 1

Hit the <HELP> key.

You can play with the self-test mode :) That's about all you can do with it without software

That's what I meant, but not only for having something to play with... 1200XL keyboards are notoriously problematic. You may want to test yours out.

Edited by MrFish

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I meant, but not only for having something to play with... 1200XL keyboards are notoriously problematic. You may want to test yours out.

Yeah. The help key isn't working. I picked up a Basic cart and when it gets to READY I get nothing when I press any key. Sounds like keyboard issues to me.

I did pop it open and it's very clean inside. And the connection look to be ok. I did nothing further though. I have not researched any troubleshooting for the keyboard yet either.

Suggestions?

B

Yeah. The help key isn't working. I picked up a Basic cart and when it gets to READY I get nothing when I press any key. Sounds like keyboard issues to me.

I did pop it open and it's very clean inside. And the connection look to be ok. I did nothing further though. I have not researched any troubleshooting for the keyboard yet either.

Suggestions?

B

Here you go. I've done two of them this way.

http://retrobits.net/atari/keyboard.shtml

• Like 1

Suggestions?

Ah, yes, ironic that the <HELP> key cannot even be used. BASIC is your alternative method for testing, although there are utility programs available as well.

All 1200XL keyboards eventually get to this state, as far as I know. I have fixed two using the method here: 1200XL Keyboard Tune-Up and it works great. The problem outlined here is universal and the fix should be applied regardless of any other issues that may exist. So I would call it the best starting point.

[Edit: On the two that I fixed, the "tune-up" was the only thing needed.]

[Edit2: DrVenkman beat me to the punch; we posted links to the same fix.]

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

I would advise anyone who needs to fix their 1200XL keyboard to get a new mylar from Best. You can attempt to fix the old mylar, but it is not always successful. Best's mylar is pretty bullet-proof.

Best has an interposer thing for their k/b, but I never use it. If the mylar isn't making good contact (on Best's mylar), just open it up and re-position/clean the contacts.

The other thing to fix on any 1200XL is the video. Simple fix is to replace C115 and L15 with a wire or 1 ohm resistor.

Last, replace R63 with a wire (or 1 ohm resistor - looks better) to power the SIO.

You're good to go!

Bob

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I decided to get my 1200XL keyboard issues fixed so so i opened it fully intending to have to do some mylar trace fixes with conductive paint, or if necessary, a new mylar from Best.

However, it seems to me like the mylar is working just fine.

When I remove the mechanical keyboard-assembly if i very gently touch (with my finger or with a pencil eraser) each contact pad on the mylar every single key on the entire keyboard works fine, even with an extremely gentle touch.

So to me this is saying that the mylar itself is okay. Would you all agree? Or is that also a common finding?

It almost seems to me like it just isn't exactly centered under the physical keyboard exactly right. Like perhaps the little rubber thing under each key isn't hitting the mylar in exactly the right spot.

The only keys that always work are help, select, start, reset, backpace, space bar. Sometimes Z, Y, shift and >, =. + work but only when i kind of wiggle the key.

If I move the physical keyboard-assembly around a bit (while it is unattached with no screws inserted) and press keys I can find positions that are "just right" and all of the keys start working, every single one! Unfortunately, to screw it back together means it all has to line up with the guide pins and screw holes and then it goes back to the "not working" state.

What does this sound like to you guys?

-Eric