IGNORED

Bootable Disk Menu Programs

bbking67

it's strange that - the usual suspects, apart -

Rob C, Ian K, C Elton, Howfen, Alpha/Multiboot, the actual menu-makes themselves seem to be absence from any archives.

Odd when you consider that the menus with the games on had to be created with something...

The yogi disks and menu were designed to have the yogi game disk in drive 2 and the menu disk in drive 1 if I remember correctly.

That's correct....I wonder if there's been a thread detail what games are faulty on the Yogi images...There definitely one game because I remember someone posted about a game.

I've had a little play with the Alpha Menus,

thanks ACML & Mclaneinc.

three of follow-up questions

1] is there a better util than MakeATR for creating these?

it'd be better if it could handle 180k dbl./dens, and long filenames

2] which of the "dos files" can be excluded - if any, to save space

3] as i might have a look at the picture menu later, are there any pc utils that convert jpegs to atari pcx files?

thanks

atari fuji space is ace.atr

2lt9wn.jpg

Edited by Guest

it's strange that - the usual suspects, apart -

Rob C, Ian K, C Elton, Howfen, Alpha/Multiboot, the actual menu-makes themselves seem to be absence from any archives.

Odd when you consider that the menus with the games on had to be created with something...

I suppose that back in the day when disks were not very cheap that people were selective about what they archived, hence when they found out about notching disks you got lots of old disks with a B side of newer stuff as people took advantage of the free side :)

I also suspect that most people were simply 'players', by that I mean not just game players, they played with the util like Print shop etc but were not in the creator stakes, ie people who sat down and made their own compilations.With the links I had and lets say a rather unlimited supply of disks I became a little black disk collector, a thing I continued on the c64 and then a little blue disk collector on the Amiga. I collected anything and everything, I just had disks galore but I didn't really play with the Utils because what arrived had already in many cases been menu'ed so there was little point.

And that's why I think there's so little in the way of menu makers archived, a disk was a disk to many, new set of games or a set of utils like menu makers, the choice was easy in many cases. Sadly its why I am so annoyed at losing all my original floppies, I had disk boxes galore as I took everything and the sources were often direct from the crackers themselves or the importers like the Kent Team so I had collected hard core, I dread to think how much rare stuff was lost which is also why I strive for people to swap and store collections so much, there's every chance that if people had the ability to get what I did and there were a great many in the South East alone that it must be out there somewhere. You just never know, Philisan released a rare Pac Man game and sure enough it was in my collection in 2 other forms yet I had no clue....Its that simple to miss out.

Any way, that ran way out of topic, I'm sure those menu makers are out there , what we need is more people to database their software, I have atr's galore that are classed as unsorted, I just remove the dupes yet there's so many disks that need booting up and checking..

I wish I had the time, that is why I've passed on my collection before, so someone else who may have more time can give it a shot....

Paul..

thanks ACML & Mclaneinc.

3] as i might have a look at the picture menu later, are there any pc utils that convert jpegs to atari pcx files?

thanks

attachicon.gifatari fuji space is ace.atr

2lt9wn.jpg

brenski,

I assume you used a sector editor to change the text? I know this menu works with DOS 2 and MYDOS. You could try a Double Density disk in MYDOS or the DD version of DOS 2.0D and it might work. You will need DOS.SYS, but you don't need DUP.SYS and that will give you back a little space.

yep. Disk Wizard 2.1

there's been some success and setbacks

1] not having much joy with 90k or 180k disks - they "boot error" every time.

is that due to incompatibility of the dos.sys & dup.sys files?

which version of Atari Dos is best to create 90k and 180k with?

i'm using MakeATR and Atari800.exe

also, the long filename thing is annoying - esp as there's loads of room on the screen to add full titles. think this is a stumbling block with MakeATR

Edited by Guest

yep. Disk Wizard 2.1

there's been some success and setbacks

1] not having much joy with 90k or 180k disks - they "boot error" every time.

is that due to incompatibility of the dos.sys & dup.sys files?

which version of Atari Dos is best to create 90k and 180k with?

i'm using MakeATR and Atari800.exe

also, the long filename thing is annoying - esp as there's loads of room on the screen to add full titles. think this is a stumbling block with MakeATR

As long as DOS.SYS is on there and the menu file is called AUTORUN.SYS. it should work. Try using ATARI DOS 2.0S and 2.0D.

Atari DOS 2.0D.ATR

Atari DOS 2.0S - Copy.ATR

Atari DOS 2.6F.ATR

Edited by ACML

The yogi disks and menu were designed to have the yogi game disk in drive 2 and the menu disk in drive 1 if I remember correctly.

Yes. I believe that I had remembered menu in D1: and a game disk in D2:

I'm more curious why it was done this way and why odd 1MB images designed for emulator use. Why not a bigger size for convenience? Was there an emulator that had a disk size limitation?

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

thanks ACML & Mclaneinc.

thanks

attachicon.gifatari fuji space is ace.atr

2lt9wn.jpg

ok, a little follow-up to this.

so i created a disk with 16 disk utilities included.

the menu only shows 8

question: how to access the other 8 from the menu

thanks

yep

all done as per the setup instructions

think this is more about what's physically visible on screen at once

there used to be a SPACEBAR or similar for next menu, but that doesn't work

have tried random keys

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Carlos Reyes has sent me the source code for his 3-sector bootloader, Quick Menu, which he wrote in 1984. He has put it into the public domain. Unfortunately only a printout, but it's not a lot for someone to OCR or type.

https://archive.org/details/QuickMenu

Interview with Carlos coming on the ANTIC podcast.

Kevin

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

And all so ndos converter is allso a menu.

The atr is from me thats is my utilities disk :)

Gr. Marco

Start us sector copy 9 the intro header says computerwolf and check allso black disk sector editor look like happy master quad+ from B. Klos .

Gr. Marco

Edited by marcokitt2000

Well,

US-Sector-Copier 9 is a hack of US-Sector-Copier 4 by E. Reuss (Compyshop). The Black Disk disk/sector editor may look similar to Happy Master, but afaik it was done by Karsten Schmidt (known as Chip Special Service back then, programmer of The Brundles)...

The Nano-DOS Converter by S.Baucke was/is a well-known gamedos here in Germany. Every pirate had it back then and allthough it was programmed 1984 and already widely available in the A8 scene, german Happy Computer magazine released it as a type-in listing in 1986. Alas, the original version is limited to 90k and 130k, loads only *.COM files and does not switch off Basic automatically. There were patch-programs available, so that Basic was always switched off (no need to hold down the Option key, alas, I did not keep them) and also several third-party versions that did 180k (named NDOS-DD or similar, but they were for 180k only and did not work with 90k or 130k anymore, so you had to keep two or more NDOS versions for 90k/130k/180k). Still I prefered this gamedos over Speed-Start-Init. and several others for quite a long time - until MyPicoDOS 4.x became available, which I use more nowadays...

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1