IGNORED

Bootable Disk Menu Programs

bbking67

Well,

US-Sector-Copier 9 is a hack of US-Sector-Copier 4 by E. Reuss (Compyshop). The Black Disk disk/sector editor may look similar to Happy Master, but afaik it was done by Karsten Schmidt (known as Chip Special Service back then, programmer of The Brundles)...

The Nano-DOS Converter by S.Baucke was/is a well-known gamedos here in Germany. Every pirate had it back then and allthough it was programmed 1984 and already widely available in the A8 scene, german Happy Computer magazine released it as a type-in listing in 1986. Alas, the original version is limited to 90k and 130k, loads only *.COM files and does not switch off Basic automatically. There were patch-programs available, so that Basic was always switched off (no need to hold down the Option key, alas, I did not keep them) and also several third-party versions that did 180k (named NDOS-DD or similar, but they were for 180k only and did not work with 90k or 130k anymore, so you had to keep two or more NDOS versions for 90k/130k/180k). Still I prefered this gamedos over Speed-Start-Init. and several others for quite a long time - until MyPicoDOS 4.x became available, which I use more nowadays.

Sorry still not sure which atr contains all this utils you are talking about.. It looks pretty handy.

The "Atari Utilities" disk, as shown in post #71 contains these utils and many more. (The mentioned patches and updates/upgrades for NDOS are not on this disk however). You can find this disk for download in this topic or somewhere at AA forum...

One of the NDOS-DD versions is available here: http://www.atarionline.pl/utils/6.%20Stacja%20dyskietek/N%20DOS%20Double%20Densiti/N%20DOS%20Double%20Densiti.xex

Well,

US-Sector-Copier 9 is a hack of US-Sector-Copier 4 by E. Reuss (Compyshop). The Black Disk disk/sector editor may look similar to Happy Master, but afaik it was done by Karsten Schmidt (known as Chip Special Service back then, programmer of The Brundles)...

The Nano-DOS Converter by S.Baucke was/is a well-known gamedos here in Germany. Every pirate had it back then and allthough it was programmed 1984 and already widely available in the A8 scene, german Happy Computer magazine released it as a type-in listing in 1986. Alas, the original version is limited to 90k and 130k, loads only *.COM files and does not switch off Basic automatically. There were patch-programs available, so that Basic was always switched off (no need to hold down the Option key, alas, I did not keep them) and also several third-party versions that did 180k (named NDOS-DD or similar, but they were for 180k only and did not work with 90k or 130k anymore, so you had to keep two or more NDOS versions for 90k/130k/180k). Still I prefered this gamedos over Speed-Start-Init. and several others for quite a long time - until MyPicoDOS 4.x became available, which I use more nowadays...

Thnxxx for the info and in the days was everything hacked :)

Gr.

OK I've searched and can't find this disk image, where can we download it?

I have attached it for your reference. The original thread containing the file was here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/239573-atari-disk-editor-advice-wanted/?p=3264619

atari utilities A.ATR

Edited by atari65xenajm

Hello. Can someone please tell me what is the name of this bootloading program? I picked up the ATR file from this thread. Thank you.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-09-13 at 12.00.40 AM.png

Hello atari friends,

Option L transdisk is not working allso on the real floppy :( but we can fix that with a other from internet :).

Gr. Marco

• 1 month later...

So I have another bootable menu that I haven't seen mentioned here, and haven't seen elsewhere. "Blue Menu" is all I know it by, and am not sure of the author, other than my Dad thinks it was written by a local acquaintance from BITD, so I'm not sure how far it spread, if at all. It was common amongst the binary load games from my dad's game collections, and only works with an 800 OSA/B (or compatible) OS like BOSS XL, or Omniview. It crashes at a blank blue screen on XL/XE OS, guessing because of a direct jump to keyboard or E: handler. For single density, it also manages to squeeze the boot loader into only sectors 1-3, and contains a self duplicator in sector 720, also unused by DOS 2. There's also a double density version that is not self duplicating, but there is a separate 1.5K tool to write the sectors for DD disks. It leaves 705 free sectors after. I included this "BLUEMENU.DBL" on the DD ATR image, and separately in the attached ZIP file.

post-53052-0-26950500-1540717820.png post-53052-0-58631100-1540717826.png

Tried them out, formatted fresh AtariDOS SD and DD disks to make new bootable disks with the self-duplicator to share here (ZIP attached to post)

Steps taken, and logs from RespeQt:

Single Density

Pre-format an AtariDOS 2.0S disk with 707 free sectors.

Single Density Boot existing SD disk:

[Disk 1] Get status.
[Disk 1] Read sector 1 (128 bytes).
[Disk 1] Read sector 2 (128 bytes).
[Disk 1] Read sector 3 (128 bytes).
[Disk 1] Read sector 361 (128 bytes).

Single Density Boot - hold Esc during load, "HIT START" will appear.

[Disk 1] Get status.
[Disk 1] Read sector 720 (128 bytes). ; self-duplicating code located in sector 720
[Disk 1] Read sector 1 (128 bytes).   ; then reads sectors 1,2,3,720 to buffer
[Disk 1] Read sector 720 (128 bytes).

(Now swap to previously formatted AtariDOS 2.0S SD disk with 707 free sectors, press START)

[Disk 1] Write sector 1 (128 bytes).
[Disk 1] Write sector 2 (128 bytes).
[Disk 1] Write sector 3 (128 bytes).
[Disk 1] Write sector 720 (128 bytes).

Now check in DOS, and it still shows 707 sectors free!

Double Density

Booting pre-existing DD Blue Menu Disk (With some games on it, enough for VTOC to cross into sector 362)

[Disk 1] Get status.
[Disk 1] Read sector 4 (256 bytes).
[Disk 1] Read sector 5 (256 bytes).
[Disk 1] Read sector 361 (256 bytes).
[Disk 1] Read sector 362 (256 bytes).

Booting holding Esc like in the single density version does not work
[Disk 1] Read sector 0 NAKed. [x28] ; keypress for nonexistant title causes it to crash, no self duplication function.

Freshly format an ATARI DOS 2.0D disk: (Shows 707 free sectors)

Run BLUEMENU.DBL, press START

[Disk 1] Write sector 1 (128 bytes).
[Disk 1] Write sector 4 (256 bytes).
[Disk 1] Write sector 5 (256 bytes).
[Disk 1] Write sector 360 (256 bytes).

(Now shows 705 free sectors)

Anyone else ever seen this one?

BlueMenu.zip

I've seen the blue menu (or something that looks identical) in the wild before, pretty sure most folk have one tucked up deep in their collections off the net but its not a well known one as you say..

So many of these little utils coded in bedrooms etc and I bet there's a large number still MIA, well I know my old mate Steve and mine is MIA, twas a thing of beauty to us with all sorts of things like the EA loader sprite and other things etc on the sides. Steve did an amazing job on almost all of it with me just in there in tiny bits. Its been looked for by others before so its a lost cause but I hope more of these little loaders come out from hiding and the only way this might happen is for folk with huge collections to make them available.

I did it with mine a few times so its out there and others have done but I bet there's some gems sat somewhere that like steve and mines menu was done, stored and forgotten about..

• 4 weeks later...

Hi TJ, just making sure you know that anything that goes on MB must be an all in one boot ie no specially selected sector loaders built in to the program to load itself....IIRC...

I can't remember if you have to format a disk to make an MB master, just about to go out so can't try at the moment..

There's no way that I remember to reserve sectors for various programs to use when they boot so its got to be its clean and non protected...All MB does is read back all the sectors its read in and init it from the atr header details for the disk you used..

I think that's all correct..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Multiboot was written back when the 810 was the only floppy drive available and copy protection was a rarity. I sported the obligatory droopy moustache and shoulder length hair in those days :-)

When you import a game from disk or cassette it is loaded into memory and saved to the next available free sectors on the floppy. The 'directory' simply keeps track of starting sector and sector count along with the game name.

When you boot a game directly from a Multiboot disk it's loaded to the correct memory location and control passes to it as if it was booted from the original disk.

If the game runs from Multiboot itself then it should work if you create a bootable disk using the menu option (you need a blank formatted floppy).

A few things could cause problems; if the game disk or cassette is protected or has multiple loads ... or if it overwrites the Multiboot code which starts at $8700.

Not sure if that helps?

Jon

• Like 2

A few things could cause problems; if the game disk or cassette is protected or has multiple loads ... or if it overwrites the Multiboot code which starts at $8700.

Not sure if that helps?

Jon

Hi Jon

with regard to that ^

I'm sure I've seen a couple of games on Multiboot disks that were "multi-loads". Usually, these have appeared @ Menu Item #1 with the second stage of the load as item #2

so the menu might look like this

1. Game$$$

2. Game $$$ Data

3. Another Game

4. yet Another Game

does that make sense? or have I imagined this?

Edited by Guest

I'm not too sure how that could work as control passes back to the main boot routine as soon as a game is loaded. There could certainly be multi part games if each was standalone ... for example, side A and side B of a disk or cassette.

It would be interesting to hear if anybody did find ways around the default loading.

While the Brits had their special (non-DOS compatible) menus, like Multiboot, Elton, Stevesoft, Mikran, Howfen, etc. we in Germany used C-Simulator menus (fully DOS 2 compatible) to load single+multi-stage tapes from diskette. Here is one example of such a menu (CSIM-1 by Ralf David), it contains Joe Blade, Joe Blade 2 and Space Raider Jetpack Co. The menu looks like an ordinary gamedos, but it isn't, it loads tape data from diskette. To do so, one had to use a C/D copy program, e.g. C/D Copy 54k by M.Thiel or Turbo-Speed Copy 56k, copy every stage of a tape onto diskette and name the first stage Filename.CAS, all other stages Filename.1, Filename.2, etc. Boot the disk/image without Basic (i.e. hold down the Option key) and when the menu appears press one of the letters to load the desired program. You can also use a DOS 2 or directory tool to take a look at the DIR and see that the tape data is really stored on a normal DOS 2 disk and uses normal DOS 2 directory entries (however, max. 16 files are allowed, since CSIM uses the boot-sectors and part of the directory for itself and only 90k/130k DOS 2 / DOS 2.5 formats, disk-save or disk-change is not supported, so Gauntlet tape with almost 1200 sectors does not fit on a 130k disk)...

Allthough the tape files are named CAS files (or better their loader), they are not compatible with CAS files produced on the PC (e.g. with WAV2CAS or A8CAS, etc.). The german C-Simulators, like CSIM 1+2 by Ralf David, LDS-C-Simulator by LDS or Super-C-Emulator by mhs can only load CAS files that were generated on the Atari with a C/D copy program and they will only load standard tape blocks with 128 Bytes per block (non-standard tape blocks like English Software, Novagen, Ariolasoft, Synsoft, Creative Sparks, etc. are not supported). Luckily most A8 tapes used standard blocks and the few ones with non-standard-blocks could mostly be freezed with a simple software freezer (e.g. The Freezer!, The Reset Machine, etc.)...

Games 141 Joeblade.atr

• Like 2

I would prefer the loader use the extender CDI, (Cassette Disk Image) if it were modified to do so, it would go a long way to help keep the mess-up that keeps happening with .cas files.. the number of times these get mixed up is terrible...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

But errmm, the A8 *.CAS files were there several years before the PC *.CAS files...

so the PC utils should rename them to *.CDI, ha ha ha !

Well, if you stumble over a PC *.CAS file on an Atari Disk, you most likely cannot load it. Copy part of the file onto the A8 screen (under TurboDOS XE use TYP *.CAS, under DOS 2 use C, Return, Filename.CAS,E:) and if it shows "FUJI" at the beginning, you know that this is a PC generated CAS file... and can simply delete it.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

I'm not too sure how that could work as control passes back to the main boot routine as soon as a game is loaded. There could certainly be multi part games if each was standalone ... for example, side A and side B of a disk or cassette.

It would be interesting to hear if anybody did find ways around the default loading.

Ive definitely got Multiboot menu disks with games like that, cant remember what titles off the top of my head though. Edited by Ely

Does WizType work on your disk? Doesn't seem to work on these 2 you posted...

hi, no it doesn't.

I've replied to your PM - am thinking there must be more than one JonE Picture menu out there?