IGNORED

The Lost Caves of Kroz

Why not sell the rom with serial number or something so if it is passed around you know who did it?

I won't say much on this, but I do know that this isn't a sure way to know. If you can dump the cart to a rom, then you likely have the means to edit the rom. At least...just enough to modify the hex that shows the serial and change it. As long as the actual byte size of the entire rom doesn't change the checksums that are in place won't know the difference.

I know this is somewhat possible as I've seen it done in the past and I've even done it myself long ago on other non gaming related software.

The Intellivision cartridge market is small. The guys producing them want to maximize cartridge sales in order to recover their investment in making cartridges and boxes; even if that means fewer overall sales. Some make the rom file available for free once they made enough sales. Some might be restricted by a license deal.

Edit:

It's also possible to make a rom file such that if someone tampers with the security it makes it unplayable. Nothing is foolproof; just makes it more difficult to crack.

Edited by mr_me

I won't say much on this, but I do know that this isn't a sure way to know. If you can dump the cart to a rom, then you likely have the means to edit the rom. At least...just enough to modify the hex that shows the serial and change it. As long as the actual byte size of the entire rom doesn't change the checksums that are in place won't know the difference.

I know this is somewhat possible as I've seen it done in the past and I've even done it myself long ago on other non gaming related software.

It's not that easy, at least in some of the ROMs that have a serial number or the buyer's name in them. The names are scrambled so they are difficult to find in the code and then the data is protected by a CRC or checksum so the game won't start if there is a mismatch. Sure, you could study the code to backwards engineer all this to crack it but then you probably spent more time on it than the money for a new ROM is worth.