IGNORED

Possible Apple II+

simbalion

I have just been offered an Apple II+ a bit of a distance away. It's just the computer and the disk drive, but I see in the picture the Z key is broke off. It's there, though. The owner wants me to make an offer, so what would be fair? That broken key is a bummer, but might not be impossible to repair.

post-8339-0-13461800-1491957988_thumb.jpg

Honestly not much. $50, maybe? Good condition ones with just the unit and a drive seem to go for $50-$70 on Ebay. And if that key is broken it's going to cost you an extra $10 to replace (one guy's selling a set individually on Ebay right now, $7.95 per key, $2 and change for shipping).

I'd probably offer a bit lower than $50 with the plan to go up to $50 if the owner negotiates.

Edited by spacecadet

Honestly not much. $50, maybe? Good condition ones with just the unit and a drive seem to go for $50-$70 on Ebay. And if that key is broken it's going to cost you an extra $10 to replace (one guy's selling a set individually on Ebay right now, $7.95 per key, $2 and change for shipping).

I'd probably offer a bit lower than $50 with the plan to go up to $50 if the owner negotiates.

Eh...wha? Keep climbing. ;)

If you're really patient and little lucky, a II Plus--maybe with a drive--can sneak under the radar on eBay and you can grab it for under a hundred bucks, but more likely it's going to be in the neighborhood of $150-250+ depending on what's included.

Edited by BassGuitari

If you're really patient and little lucky, a II Plus--maybe with a drive--can sneak under the radar on eBay and you can grab it for under a hundred bucks, but more likely it's going to be in the neighborhood of $150-250+ depending on what's included.

Definitely not worth anything close to that.

Here's a sold II+:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rare-Original-Apple-II-Plus-A2S1048-Computer-/272616980111?hash=item3f793cfe8f:g:G1MAAOSwmgJY4qEf

Here's a similar IIe:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-APPLE-IIE-COMPUTER-MODEL-A2S2064-SER-1A2S2-D4A0ERSA2S2064-APPLE-II-E-/222457432262?hash=item33cb7f08c6:g:2RIAAOSwXYtY3X-1

Here's a IIe with two drives:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Apple-2e-computer-w-keyboard-and-2-5-25-floppy-disc-players-/132146639717?hash=item1ec48db365:g:s4UAAOSwuLZY4WyJ

You can find counterexamples that went for higher, but generally those have something special about them - they come with some rare card, or they're a particularly low serial # (something some people care about with Apple II's for some reason). But there is no reason whatsoever to pay $150+ for a bare II+ with a broken key, no monitor and one drive.

II+'s are the bastard child of Apple II's. They're kind of like the Mac Classic. They're not worth nearly as much as the original *or* the better models that came later. The II+ can't do some of the things the IIe can and it doesn't have the place in history the original II does. So the prices are generally lower, especially such a barebones system in not great condition.

Edited by spacecadet

Definitely not worth anything close to that.

Here's a sold II+:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rare-Original-Apple-II-Plus-A2S1048-Computer-/272616980111?hash=item3f793cfe8f:g:G1MAAOSwmgJY4qEf

Here's a similar IIe:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-APPLE-IIE-COMPUTER-MODEL-A2S2064-SER-1A2S2-D4A0ERSA2S2064-APPLE-II-E-/222457432262?hash=item33cb7f08c6:g:2RIAAOSwXYtY3X-1

Here's a IIe with two drives:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Apple-2e-computer-w-keyboard-and-2-5-25-floppy-disc-players-/132146639717?hash=item1ec48db365:g:s4UAAOSwuLZY4WyJ

You can find counterexamples that went for higher, but generally those have something special about them - they come with some rare card, or they're a particularly low serial # (something some people care about with Apple II's for some reason). But there is no reason whatsoever to pay $150+ for a bare II+ with a broken key, no monitor and one drive.

II+'s are the bastard child of Apple II's. They're kind of like the Mac Classic. They're not worth nearly as much as the original *or* the better models that came later. The II+ can't do some of the things the IIe can and it doesn't have the place in history the original II does. So the prices are generally lower, especially such a barebones system in not great condition.

You found the lowest priced one that sold, and doesn't include a drive, and it's still over $100 with shipping. :)

I'm not saying he should pay $150, I just said that's the going rate for auctions.

• Like 1

I'm going to throw $25 at the person first and see what happens. That town is almost 2 hours drive away from me, though it's nice route to drive, and the operational state if the unit is unknown. I am assuming it at least has the disk drive card in it and that it has 48K of RAM due to that sticker on the space bar.

There will always be examples of more appropriately priced systems if you cherry pick enough, but it's hard to argue they aren't exceptions to the rule at this point.

I bought a mildly refurbed II Plus with a Language Card (not a rare card at all) last summer that ran me about $190 after shipping. It was still the best deal of what was listed at the time; there were ones in worse condition listed for more--and only confirmed non-working or parts systems were listed for less. A week or two before that, I got outbid on a II+ that came with a couple of Disk IIs, a SuperMod II, and I think some paddles (again, nothing rare, except maybe the paddles) that had been sneaking under the radar at around $75--and only two watchers--right up until the last hours of the auction, when a bidding war broke out and it snowballed to just shy of $300 (I went to $175, fwiw).

I think demand for II+ systems is going to pick up, if it hasn't already. The original Apple II is of course the most collectible II system, and they're made of Unobtanium now. The II+ is the next closest thing for people who want that really early Apple II experience, and for anyone so inclined, it can be downgraded and all but transformed into an original II anyway, with the badge on the lid and dates on the board and ICs being the only things to give away its Plusness.

You found the lowest priced one that sold, and doesn't include a drive, and it's still over $100 with shipping. :)

I'm not saying he should pay $150, I just said that's the going rate for auctions.

And that's the sad truth. If you're not willing to spend that much, then chances are you're not getting an Apple. You can get lucky, sure, but you can't count on luck.

• Like 1

5 years ago the going ebay price for a II+ bare console was around 100-150. I fully support, recommend, and would trade II+ consoles in the 150-200 range presently. Hopefully they go up in the future.

It's just like a II and you can get the exact same functionality. I prefer the II+ because it is the smoothed over and refined version. Has just enough conveniences to make it worthwhile.

• Like 1

I just don't agree. There aren't a lot of sold II+'s to begin with - mostly because sellers seem to have delusions of grandeur when it comes to these machines. They see the prices for very early II's and think their II+ must be worth some amount close to that and price them accordingly, and there they sit. I only see three other II+'s that have sold *at all* on Ebay in the last 3 months, and that's not for lack of availability. There are plenty up there right now. They don't sell at those prices.

The IIe is a more capable machine and I found two in better shape that sold for between $60-$100, one with an extra drive. There's no reason anyone in their right mind should purchase a II+ over a IIe if the IIe is cheaper, so paying more than $100 for a II+ is not something I would ever advise doing given that you can get a IIe for less.

And these are Ebay prices. If somebody's trying to sell something locally, they're going to have to accept less money because they're selling to a much smaller market.

It would be a little different if this was a complete machine in good condition. It's a bare unit with one drive and at least one broken key. If it was complete and in good shape, then maybe I could see $150.

Edited by spacecadet

Well, everyone has a different idea of the value is and it's completely variable.

Pay what it's worth to you. We don't have to agree. I'm sure there is a different price that you would pay for one vs. what you would sell one for. Consider that you are always on opposite ends of the transaction. :)

Edited by R.Cade

I just don't agree. There aren't a lot of sold II+'s to begin with - mostly because sellers seem to have delusions of grandeur when it comes to these machines. They see the prices for very early II's and think their II+ must be worth some amount close to that and price them accordingly, and there they sit. I only see three other II+'s that have sold *at all* on Ebay in the last 3 months, and that's not for lack of availability. There are plenty up there right now. They don't sell at those prices.

The IIe is a more capable machine and I found two in better shape that sold for between $60-$100, one with an extra drive. There's no reason anyone in their right mind should purchase a II+ over a IIe if the IIe is cheaper, so paying more than $100 for a II+ is not something I would ever advise doing given that you can get a IIe for less.

And these are Ebay prices. If somebody's trying to sell something locally, they're going to have to accept less money because they're selling to a much smaller market.

It would be a little different if this was a complete machine in good condition. It's a bare unit with one drive and at least one broken key. If it was complete and in good shape, then maybe I could see $150.

Quite simply the II+ is rarer and hence more collectible. The original II is less capable than either, but of course it sells for more.

A Raspberry Pi is more capable than any Apple II, therefore no Apple II should sell for more than $30.

Now that we have established that the market determined price of an Apple II is not strictly defined by how capable it is, we can easily understand why II+s regularly sell for more than IIe. Not only on eBay, but on AppleFritter, Amibay, and other websites. The II+ is rarer, more collectible, and worth more in 2017.

Anyways, I upped my offer to them and also gave them my cell number as we are having major internet and phone issues here right now. Apparently there is a break in one of the old phone lines that they have never put any work into since new. Anyways, I did let the person know that if they thought my offer too low, to shoot me a counter-offer. I forgot how rare the II+ really is in the line. The II+ was my first vintage Apple computer that I bought at the Wooster, OH Goodwill for $5 in 1999. I got rid of it when I got my IIc a few years later. Oh, how I wish I could go back to that Goodwill in 1999! They had a whole section full of Apple II stuff and computers from the original through the IIe. All for about $5-$10 each! If only I had a better job and more money at that time.

• Like 2

Well, no reply to my higher offer on the unit, so I am assuming right now that the deal is off. I checked out eBay and just came back shaking my head and feeling very discouraged. Also angry at myself for not picking up the model II and II pluses I know I had to have stumbled on at school sales years back. Ohio is so gutted out that I think my plans to have the complete set of II models is pretty much dead now and I might just pack my II stuff away for a while until I get in the mood to play with the stuff again or at least finally get a way to download software and load it up on my units.

I have a friend who has offered to use his Paypal to get me a few things if I wanted to on eBay, but the prices are just too insane for items that haven't been rebuilt in any way. I've had too many raw deals with stuff like that to jump at those prices. Sorry to sound so grim, I'm also not feeling well right now.

One final thing, are there any better alternatives to Craigslist?

There are many II+'s that sold for $150 or more in the last weeks/months... of all configurations and shipping rates.

Here is my search: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=apple%20ii%20plus%20computer&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

If you don't pay those prices, then you get one locally, or a cheaper one that needs repairs or the risk is all on you. That's what I do- I assume we all do.

Edited by R.Cade
  • Like 1

Well, the owner claims that it works, so I am willing to up my offer to them now. Still not going overboard as it is A: Two hours drive away and B: It's still an old unit with a broken key that could go up in a puff of smoke once I get it home.

For real. Lightly used II, II+, and early //e units are having some issues with the capacitors. Especially if they haven't been powered up in years.

Maintenance of classic computers is something we all have to do sooner or later. So be prepared for it.

• Like 1

For real. Lightly used II, II+, and early //e units are having some issues with the capacitors. Especially if they haven't been powered up in years.

Maintenance of classic computers is something we all have to do sooner or later. So be prepared for it.

Once I 'finally' get a way to sell off some of my excess antique radios, I want to set up at least a small work area and try to learn to do at least the basics on these old systems. I've already had two power supplies conk out on me in the past few years and it isn't going to get any better. I am wondering how these people are going to feel once these model IIs they are buying for such high prices suddenly die on them? Monitors are another thing as most of my monitor IIs now need work as well. Those I am going to try and get an expert to look at. The place that redoes my arcade monitors have said their guy can probably do those as well. He agreed that the days of just 'Going out and getting another' are long gone and that now we have to start trying to repair them.

• Like 1