IGNORED

What game are you best at on the VCS?

Atarikid96

I'm really good at Video Chess, I like play on level 6 and keep my move under 30 seconds :)

I can get close to beating Enduro - a friend of mine who holds an Outrun world record did.

I can easily green screen Ms Pacman but don't look at the score and play Kool-Aid man, Popeye, Defender, Mr Do and Qbert for 15 minutes or more. Think it's hard to play a lot longer than that because you get tired and it becomes a marathon.

• Like 1

A few come to mind based on the quality of my scores against high score club competition, but a few of them are based on the fact that most people wouldn't bother with the game:

Tax Avoiders - I have played this more than any sane person should. I have broken 900,000, very close to the manual's stated goal of a million. I will say that on that game everything went as perfectly as I thought it could, yet according to Twin Galaxies, Todd Rogers got in excess of 2,000,000. Hmm....

Towering Inferno - again not too popular. I have gotten a few scores from 2,200-2,400

Dodge 'em - I have gotten the max (1080) a few times on this.

Yar's Revenge - I can get 200-250K on game 6, but in the day mostly played on game 2 and impressed my friends with 500-700K regularly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Either Space Invaders or Stampede, but I'm still far from amazing at them. Those were two of my first games as a little kid though, so I played them a ton. I recently played both again for the first time in a while, and there's definitely plenty of rust I need to knock off.

Even as a kid, I could roll game 1 of Asteroids indefinitely on difficulty A ... I hadn't played it in years until I finally got a copy again several years ago. Rolled it with 9 lives remaining on the first play through and turned it off. Some things never change. The other variations can be quite a bit more challenging of course, but it's still fairly easy for me. Not so for Space Rocks! :)

These days the games I'm best at and can play longest are shooters like twitchy shooters like Activision's Seaquest, Chopper Command and Spider Figher. I'm also pretty good at Starmaster (I can earn patches on the two easier levels without any trouble, and have managed the third level in the past), Missile Command and Yars' Revenge as well, although nowhere near world-class at any of these. In my late 40's now, my hands give out before my reflexes. :(

Ms PacMan and Phoenix.

133K on MsPacMan

323K on Phoenix

Though its weird because with Phoenix and MsPacMan I notice that I play so much better on real hardware than with emulation.

Its really weird because if I constantly play on emulation then go to hardware I'll notice a big difference in control response in using real hardware.

Guessing its input lag on my PC.

1. Bowling - On game 1 I can get a strike almost every time with my eyes closed, releasing the ball immediately, listening for the opportune time and hitting up. Oddly, I never had the guts to try for a perfect game. After about 5 or 6 strikes I either quit or hand the game over to a friend (who immediately ruins it). I just KNOW if I tried to go all the way, I'd make 11 strikes in a row and then bomb out on the last ball.

2. (tie) Asteroids difficulty b and Missile Command children's version - I can more or less go on indefinitely, racking up bonus ships/cities faster than I lose them.

Honorable mention: Flag Capture, Maze Craze

I absolutely cannot do anything in the Breakout family...I don't have the genes for it or something.

Dodge'Em for sure! Perfect games of 1,080 are a norm.

As for others... not sure... never played for a score... when I was a kid I was all about seeing all the levels in a game and when I rolled the levels over, I would lose interest. Time to play a bit and join the HSC and see how I do with some games!

I can play variation 2 of Atari Pac-Man indefinitely. I guess that's not much, as it's probably the easiest difficulty other than the children's variants.

I can play indefinitely on any game variation of Atari Defender. Once again, not much to brag about since the game isn't very difficult.

I think I'm decent at Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator. But my high score on the 2600 version is only 699K, which is probably not so good.