IGNORED

Wiring SIO2SD internally

S.D.W.

This may be a dumb question but If I want to put an SIO2SD board inside one of my Atari computers, do I just wire directly to the correct SIO leg on the backside of the connector itself or do I need to do something else? Will I still be able to use an external SIO peripheral if I do install this internally?

Thanks

I did it that way for a homemade SIO2PC in a 130XE. But for some reason the external homemade SIO2PC won't work. Not sure why, it might be that the current draw is too much for the +5V on the SIO port.

You could take the required power from elsewhere - there's a pickoff point near the cart slot on the topside that's often used to give power to the 800XL PBI slot.

This may be a dumb question but If I want to put an SIO2SD board inside one of my Atari computers, do I just wire directly to the correct SIO leg on the backside of the connector itself or do I need to do something else? Will I still be able to use an external SIO peripheral if I do install this internally?

Thanks

This is how I did my internal install. For Atari SIO Port is a wired parallel. so all you need to do is run you some kiner or similar type wire it to the Atari Serial port to the sio2sd and it will work just fine. Check out this web page!

http://www.realdos.net/sio2sd.html

Putting a SIO2SD into an Atari is a really cool project! I put one of my SIO2SD that I purchase from the Atari Fan Store and installed it inside one of my 800xl's the SIO2SD I got from Lotharek I put into a project box

What do you think of my internal install of the sio2sd.

Take Care!

Steve

post-9681-0-36012900-1492245137_thumb.jpg

post-9681-0-12751500-1492245214_thumb.jpg

There's a gallery here charting one of the machines I made:

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/album/930-800xl-upgrade-project/

Hi Hardware builders!

That sio2sd Atari 800xl also has an Ultra-Speed Plus Puff Upgrade, Tucker USB SIO2PC, 256k Rambo, and one of my KRH Keyboard Interfaces.

I am very happy you guys like my hardware upgrades. Anyone can put an upgrade in and make it work. But the real trick is to install it and make it look like it came from the factory that way.

Steve

• Like 2

Hi Hardware builders!

That sio2sd Atari 800xl also has an Ultra-Speed Plus Puff Upgrade, Tucker USB SIO2PC, 256k Rambo, and one of my KRH Keyboard Interfaces.

I am very happy you guys like my hardware upgrades. Anyone can put an upgrade in and make it work. But the real trick is to install it and make it look like it came from the factory that way.

Steve

Hi Steve - long time no see.

Are you sure you are talking about the same 800XL :?

Because all I see is a SIO2SD, a U1MB, a Stereo Board, and a VBXE. And why would you install a 256k Rambo when you already got 1088k with the U1mb?

Hope everything is well with you :)

- Michael

Edit: aww I see.. although you quoted FJC's comment with a link to 'his' installation, you were actually referring to the one you did. I get it now :grin:

Edited by mytekcontrols

Hi Steve - long time no see.

Are you sure you are talking about the same 800XL :?

Because all I see is a SIO2SD, a U1MB, a Stereo Board, and a VBXE. And why would you install a 256k Rambo when you already got 1088k with the U1mb?

Hope everything is well with you :)

- Michael

Edit: aww I see.. although you quoted FJC's comment with a link to 'his' installation, you were actually referring to the one you did. I get it now :grin:

Hello Michael

FJC's pictures show the sio2sd with buttons on the top and mine are located on the side. Yes I used an Atari 800xl. I have 15 Atari 8-bits with all different hardware upgrades. I have 5 Stock Atari's 600xl, 800xl, 800xe, 130xe, and Game machine. When you write BBS Software and RealDos software you need to have every configuration you can come up with. Just because it works on your machine does not mean it will work on someone Else's Atari. When I beta Test I test with all my Atari machines. It is also nice that I have a configuration that will work with most everyone's Software. I also have both PAL and NTSC.

Take Care!

Steve

Edited by Stephen J. Carden