IGNORED

Need helping finding a particular type of DVD player.

SignGuy81

Hi, I've been searching all over the internet just to try and find if what I'm looking for exists. I am looking for a DVD player, more features the better(not sure if there is even any such thing as a smart DVD player like there are Blu Rays with wifi and all that), that has composite input. I don't know if they make them or not I guess if they do it would probably be a DVD recorder, but all of those I've seen also have VCR built in. I'm looking for something small. Blu Ray player would be fine too but I can't seem to find any with composite(or any type of input) jacks. Seems like that would be a nice feature to have for any device like that so you can just leave that one on all the time and use it and go to apps, DVD or BluRay or whatever else and just use that one remote. Kinda like Xboxs idea with the Xbox one with the HDMI input.

The reason I want this is because I want to mod an Atari flashback to be a DVD or BluRay player as well and hopefully have wifi and apps. What I want to do is be able to fit the boards in an atari flashback, with the DVD drive, dremel out a slot for the tray to come out of the front, and solder the composite output from the atari board into the composite input on the dvd player board, all in the case. i'll have to also drill a hole in front for IR detection. This will allow me to use this one device for most things, and just hit one button on the remote to switch to AV which would be atari. It was just an idea that popped in my head and thought it would be a fun project. I've repaired a couple sony blu ray players in the past and am pretty sure all of those parts would fit in with what is already in there, including the power supply. Only problem is I've yet to find anything other than a VCR that accepts composite input.

Nothing else I would like a just a streaming box or something that has A/V input so I can put it in the atari case and do the same I mentioned above just lack of having DVD or Bluray as an option but would still be nice.

Any help would be appreciated. If I attempt this mod I guess I'll try to do it with one of the newer flashbacks that have wireless joysticks that way I could do everything wirelessly.

EDIT: Another thing that would be nice is if the remote for the device has 4 big arrow buttons with an okay button or whatever in the middle. I've played around with IR before and an arduino so another thing I would try to do is check the signal coming from the remote with an IR detector and my oscope and then program the detection for those button presses and and tie arduino output it in to the controller ports as well so i could even use the DVD remote to play the games. Just need help finding a DVD player that would work.

Edited by SignGuy81

I guess I could try a DVD/VCR combo and just do away with all the VCR stuff inside but I wouldn't like seeing options for VCR on the menu screen on TV if I don't have it. Plus with those I think most of those are older and have larger boards and some I've seen even have cooling fans so hopefully I can find something small enough. I guess if the parts are too big instead I could try to mod a regular 2600 like this instead and if I had to replace it's guts with flashback unit for extra room. I probably won't be starting this anytime soon was just in meantime looking for something that might work for this. I would think Microsoft can't be the only company that has thought about having a video input on a device that doesn't record from an input source but I guess I could be wrong. I also have two HDTV DVR units in the house that record from the digital tuner but that is the only option, no inputs other than that. I guess what I'm looking for exactly would be a DVD recorder that doesn't have VCR included but I haven't seen any without a VCR built in.

LOL yeah I didn't think I would get an answer anytime soon as I had been looking for a long time and couldn't find anything and the thing I did find wasn't what I even started out asking about(no DVD player) and didn't even have composite input had HDMI instead so I wasn't really clear about what I wanted anyway. I think it may be awhile before i attempt this though because that android STB box is expensive. But I was basically trying to modernize a 2600 console and that would be perfect. Maybe someone that has more money than me that likes this idea too can attempt it before I get a chance to and get back to us. Then that way I'll know for sure if it is doable in a flashback case.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies but I'm not going to use a Nuon.

I'm going to eventually get the Android box and put it inside an Atari Flashback 2 case I've modded for carts(if all goes well and I can cram it with an A/V converter in the box), from within the Flashback 2 case I'm going to run the A/V into an A/V to HDMI converter and run the outputted HDMI to the Android box's HDMI in. I will try to mount the Android box in a way that I can get the HDMI output near the edge of case so I can dremel a slot to plug in an HDMI cord then run to the TV.

Once this is completed I will be able to turn the unit on and see the Android home screen and all of my apps, and click on HDMI to switch to Flashback.

It will make it kinda like the new consoles where you can have all the apps and all with it and also do games. Of course I could just keep it all separate and hook everything up outside externally but where is the fun in that.

I'm going to eventually get the Android box and put it inside an Atari Flashback 2 case I've modded for carts(if all goes well and I can cram it with an A/V converter in the box), from within the Flashback 2 case I'm going to run the A/V into an A/V to HDMI converter and run the outputted HDMI to the Android box's HDMI in.

This is an ambitious project; alas it is way above my electronics skill level.

Are you going to consolidate everything onto one power supply too?

Are you going to consolidate everything onto one power supply too?

Yes. Not sure yet if either of the ones supplied with either flashback or the android box will power both yet until I see the android box, if not I'll get a supply that will handle both.

Have you considered a raspberry PI? It will do everything you need and if you use a wireless keyboard and mouse there will be no need for drilling holes and such

That sounds like a good option as well, thank you. I've never owned a raspberry PI. Can it have apps like youtube, sling, vudu, etc.?

That sounds like a good option as well, thank you. I've never owned a raspberry PI. Can it have apps like youtube, sling, vudu, etc.?

If you install an Linux OS, you can have basically anything. Internet, complete game emulation, spotify and video playback. Essentially it's a mini PC although you will need to set it up ofcourse. I suggest you do some research https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi. There is many forums with information about how to set the device up.

Before i forget, AtariAge is great for Atari related information, there is some really smart techs here too(it's a great site). For projects like the one you have in mind i would suggest having a look at the Element14 community https://www.element14.com/community. The chances of more engineers seeing you project, will flock with information. There is many that specialize in the Raspberry PI and many fellow AtariAge members over there too.