IGNORED

Virtual Jaguar & Project Tempest Compatibility List

Jagosaurus

Requests for help/additional testing:

1. Can someone try Atari Karts in VJ and see if it's running slow for you? After watching footage, it is definitely slower for me.

2. Can someone try Raiden in PT. I just noticed it always starts the game with a second plane that sticks with you. I did not chose 2 player. Weird.

3. Can someone try Val D & Wolf 3D in PT & see if your window size is a bit off. They're both playable but screen size is almost 3:3 vs 4:3 for me.

Updates:

1. I tried the 4 titles I only had a .j64 file for in PT. No luck. Thanks to CJ for letting me know I can just rename those extensions though.

2. I will remove any existing color coding from compatibility chart and have rows alternate between white & light grey. This makes following the rows across much easier for quick referencing.

I can confirm Val has a slightly smaller or offset screen. I've played through the entire game in every mode using an infinite invincibility hack so have seen it work in VJ through to the end.

Atari Karts is a bit slow in VJ but crashes later in the game. I forget exactly which track/race. (Whether the machine running it was powerful or a pos it ran slower)

Also, Zero5 plays great until midway through the canyon levels (or navigating those cylinders where you spin around the inside trying to avoid the walls), iirc, then crashes.

I can confirm Val has a slightly smaller or offset screen. I've played through the entire game in every mode using an infinite invincibility hack so have seen it work in VJ through to the end.

Atari Karts is a bit slow in VJ but crashes later in the game. I forget exactly which track/race. (Whether the machine running it was powerful or a pos it ran slower)

Also, Zero5 plays great until midway through the canyon levels (or navigating those cylinders where you spin around the inside trying to avoid the walls), iirc, then crashes.

Appreciate the confirmation on those 2.

Man, I hate to hear Zero 5 crashes later. The parts I played ran awesome. This is why emulation is great IMO (in addition to preservation). I was always on the fence about this one. Now that I've tested it out, I definitely want to play it through which it looks like will mean shelling out the cash for the cart. Worth it now for me.

I recently saved a Windows 7 workstation from work (headed to the the recycling bin) & set it up as a dedicated retro emulation box in the game room. I got to tinkering with Virtual Jaguar and realized there isn't a full compatibility list out there I could find.

Would you guys be interested in working on a compatibility list as a group via a Google Doc? This would allow us to post testing by user, then have annotations listing our machine OS & specs (as of course results will can vary).

I'd also be interested to see Project Tempest testing and if there are any that work in PT that don't in VJ, and vice versa.

With 49 carts and 14 CDs, this is very doable. Now, the list would really shine if we tested all homebrews, ST Ports, demos, betas, etc. I think this could be a great resource for the community.

I imagine Shamus has a list of sorts somewhere as well, but thoroughly testing on Windows 7, 8, & 10 would be nice to see IMO.

Thoughts? Who is willing to help?

Add in Mame, it has Jaguar emulation and a few games are playable.

Requests for help/additional testing:

1. Can someone try Atari Karts in VJ and see if it's running slow for you? After watching footage, it is definitely slower for me.

Mine seems to run fine- about 62 fps. However, it always crashes out about lap 3-4 in a race.

Mine seems to run fine- about 62 fps. However, it always crashes out about lap 3-4 in a race.

That's odd. Mine is slow but finishes the race, first couple of initial cup anyway. I'm testing GIT VJ, not 2.1.2. I will eventually try the list in both. Edited by Jagosaurus

That's odd. Mine is slow but finishes the race, first couple of initial cup anyway. I'm testing GIT VJ, not 2.1.2. I will eventually try the list in both.

I kept playing around, it actually ran through three races and crashed out as I ended the third race. I was watching frame rate a lot more carefully and it was running in 40s-50s for the most part.

5/7/2017 Update:

Attached is version 4. I have formatted so it is much easier to quickly follow across rows.

Also made edits/additions to those below:

• Val D
  • Zero 5
  • Atari Karts
  • AvP
  • Missile Command 3D
  • Brutal Sports Football
  • Raiden
  • Ultra Vortek
  • Flip Out!
  • Cybermorph

Thanks to Mayday and Saturn for the comments. Mentioned you by name as testers in chart.

34 of 49 games compatible between VJ GIT and PT. That is 69.4%.

Adding Flip Out! and Cybermorph (reported to work in older builds of VJ per a previous post from Shamus) to this will get us to 73.5% (36 of 49) compatibility.

It is safe to say, we are sitting at approximately 73.5% with a few caveats (see Raiden notes for example). That is much higher than most folks will lead you to believe.

Any help on those listed as "need testing" is appreciated.

Atari Jaguar Emu Compatibility Chart_Jagosaurus_5.7.2017 v4.pdf

Edited by Jagosaurus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi

Do you intend to test all Jag roms in MAME?

I do. Eventually. Obviously the 13 or so that don't currently run would be of interest. I don't really expect them to run as it looks like VJ was based on the code within MAME per their website. Not a huge priority after finding that out. Edited by Jagosaurus

Other way around. And an OLD version of VJ, at that.

Am I misunderstanding this from the VJ site? It says "from" but I know you've been involved in testing and obviously running ports and new software within it, so I might be missing something there.

"The original source was based upon Aaron Giles CoJag driver from M.A.M.E. and used the Starscream 68000 emulator core. Since then Starscream has been replaced by the more portable Musashi 68000 core and lots of improvements and changes have obscured the underlying codes CoJag origins (to be fair, Mr. Raingeard had made quite a few changes from the CoJag driver before we got our hands on it)! The Musashi 68000 core has since been replaced with a heavily customized version of UAEs 68000 core."

Also CJ, you mentioned the ST ports flashing with a USB controller enabled in VJ. I did experience this in R Type. If I switch to KB, will it alleviate this or do I need to delete default controller or delete anything in PC registery? Thanks! Not around a PC to test atm.

Also CJ, you mentioned the ST ports flashing with a USB controller enabled in VJ. I did experience this in R Type. If I switch to KB, will it alleviate this or do I need to delete default controller or delete anything in PC registery? Thanks! Not around a PC to test atm.

Ah. no.

Some of the ports use ZeroSquare's sound engine (and their supplied JagPad interface). If the routines to read the state of the controller are called while inside an interrupt, then the screen flickers in VJ. On real hardware they are working correctly.

This is a VJ bug.

• Like 2

Ah. no.

Some of the ports use ZeroSquare's sound engine (and their supplied JagPad interface). If the routines to read the state of the controller are called while inside an interrupt, then the screen flickers in VJ. On real hardware they are working correctly.

This is a VJ bug.

Got it. For those that flicker in VJ, there is no fix.

Well other than playing on real hardware :)

There's no fix yet, but there will be one when I get the time to look at it. :)

Awesome! That would be huge for these ST ports.

I still need to DL some older versions of VJ to test Cybermorph & Flip Out!. Will put on my to do list!

Edited by Jagosaurus

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, some new development here. It seems the Virtual Jaguar core in Retroarch has been tinkered with to improve compatibility. You can see it in video below running both Cybermorph and Fight for Life.

Shamus, did any one lean on you for support? This is awesome! Adds a new of testing needed.

"Emulating the Atari Jaguar just got Better! RetroArch & Virtual Jaguar"

If you haven't looked at his channel, he puts out a lot of Jaguar content.

@Darryl, I haven't tested many homebrews or Indie releases.

Edited by Jagosaurus
  • Like 2

Retroarch basically takes Virtual Jaguar as-is from my repo, so there's nothing new there (N.B.: any VJ archives on Github are not mine, and not affiliated with me in any way--I do not do Github for projects I control). I would not expect any improvements to come those guys.

And I find it so funny that this guy is slagging off VJ when that's what's at the heart of Retroarch. Cluelessness abounds. :D

Edited by Shamus
  • Like 3

Retroarch basically takes Virtual Jaguar as-is from my repo, so there's nothing new there (N.B.: any VJ archives on Github are not mine, and not affiliated with me in any way--I do not do Github for projects I control). I would not expect any improvements to come those guys.

And I find it so funny that this guy is slagging off VJ when that's what's at the heart of Retroarch. Cluelessness abounds. :D

So curious as to how Cybermorph & FFL work? Is VJ open source and is there a chance they did make improvements?

Of course VJ is open source, but I'd say the chances that they made improvements are slim to none They're pulling sources from my GIT repo after all. And Cybermorph & FFL in the latest GIT works if you enable the BIOS (the demos at least, I haven't tried playing them).

• Like 1