IGNORED

Antonia 4MB or Ultimate 1MB which one and why?

scotty

Things i like about each...

Ultimate 1MB

---------------------

Lotharek - Class act. Dealt with him before

RTC

still uses 6502 for full comparability

Sparta Dos X built in

Hardware write protect

More popular - easier to get help

Antonia 4MB

--------------------

4X the memory

8 OS slots

W65C816 CPU

HELP!!

I didn't even know the Antionia had a 65C816 on board. But as far as I know, there is nothing yet in software that takes advantage of 4MB, with 1Mb you have at least Space Harrier, Atari Blast! and maybe a demo or two to use it for something other than ramdisk(s). In my current 1200XL, I'm using older upgrades, but I have an 800XL and 1200XL that I was going to upgrade with all Lotharek device, going with a U1MB, Side 2 and Rapidus, maybe vbxe...

I'm just not convinced I ever need more than 1MB on my Atari, at this point I'm happy with 256/512K Rambo upgrade, unless it's in conjunction with the VBXE.

First I'd check to see if anything you want to run doesn't work with the 65816. That would be the biggest reason not to go with Antonia.
Also, is there anything that only runs on the 65816 you want to run. That would be the biggest reason to go with the Antonia.
Ease of installation would be the next thing to check.

If you have more than one Atari 8bit computer, why not get both? U1MB is a must have and if I had to choose only one, it would be the one. Antonia doesn't require any soldering and plugs right in. You can also use Antonia on a stock 16K 600XL without upgrading it to 64K first. 16K to 4Mb in just a few minutes is pretty cool.

• Like 1

Is the Ultimate 1MB compatible with the 130XE? By compatible, I do not mean can it be installed in the machine, as I already know that to be the case. What I mean is... Is the Rambo or Compy Shop bank switching compatible with what the 130XE uses, so software intended for the 130XE will run no problem?

Antonia has a 128MB XE listed in its config screen, whereas Ultimate 1MB does not.

Edited by scotty

Is the Ultimate 1MB compatible with the 130XE? By compatible, I do not mean can it be installed in the machine, as I already know that to be the case. What I mean is... Is the Rambo or Compy Shop bank switching compatible with what the 130XE uses, so software intended for the 130XE will run no problem?

Antonia has a 128MB XE listed in its config screen, whereas Ultimate 1MB does not.

In a nutshell, yes. Use the 320K or 1088 RAMBO setting in the U1MB for basically a "320XE" or "1088XE" machine configuration.

• Sad 1

If you have more than one Atari 8bit computer, why not get both? U1MB is a must have and if I had to choose only one, it would be the one. Antonia doesn't require any soldering and plugs right in. You can also use Antonia on a stock 16K 600XL without upgrading it to 64K first. 16K to 4Mb in just a few minutes is pretty cool.

Except on a 130XE right? Lucky me.

Personally, I would like to see a CPU/RAM module only. That way it could co-exist with U1M. The RAM should start at Bank 1.

00000 - 0FFFF -> Whatever the machine has, nothing touched here.

10000 - FFFFF -> Onboard the device, and logic included to prevent $xDxxx accesses from touching $0Dxxx hardware chips.

This is what I would like to see.

Just my opinion.

Edit: changed 1 to x

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 1

U1MB is nice, but can cause video interference in some machines. More likely if you have something hooked onto the ECI/PBI. I was never able to get a U1MB to perform without video interference in NTSC 130XE's. (I gave up long ago.) U1MB has some nice feature not present in Antonia thanks mainly to Flashjazzcat.

As mentioned, Antonia has 65816 cpu. Could cause incompatibility with some games. (?) I've yet to see any issues with that, but hard-core gamers might chime in. There is a 65816 OS and a 65816 BASIC interpreter. It allows limited operations with the linear ram. There is a 65816 Assembler and provides access to Antonia's linear ram, also. Antonia is very easy to install, and I have found no video interference.

In hindsight, this would be an easy decision for me in favor of Antonia. But don't know if they are still being sold. Both would be a good choice, if you care to spend the extra money.

-Larry

As far as I know there isn't a file version of Space Harrier taking advantage of the 1Mb in the U1MB. If there is a 1Mb file version, I would love to have it.

Sorry, I didn't realize that, I thought it had several formats like Atari Blast! I guess it's a good thing I have it on cartridge myself. It's an 8Mb AtariMax, so I can re-flash it with Atari Blast! or Space Harrier.

post-149-0-03463300-1492634825_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

correct Space Harrier was on disk during every step until the music was changed and was then re-arranged for AtariMax cartridge. The cartridge form was the only completely and properly stitched together final product. An industrious person could possibly put it back in file/disk form using memory upgraded (1088k) form. as to bank switching or romdisk / yanking the flash save and putting disk save back in.... well the sky is the limit.... but remember in it's final form... DOS is an issue segments of the game become an issue... putting it on cartridge removed a lot of issues... but with some effort and some alchemy it might be a nice project... fast drives and large memory a plus.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 4/16/2017 at 5:55 PM, Brentarian said:

You can also use Antonia on a stock 16K 600XL without upgrading it to 64K first. 16K to 4Mb in just a few minutes is pretty cool.

Just to correct the info for posterity, Nir's video states that a 600XL DOES need to be upgraded to 64K before using the Antonia 4MB.

On 4/16/2017 at 3:17 PM, scotty said:

Things i like about each...

Ultimate 1MB

---------------------

Lotharek - Class act. Dealt with him before

RTC

still uses 6502 for full comparability

Sparta Dos X built in

Hardware write protect

More popular - easier to get help

Antonia 4MB

--------------------

4X the memory

8 OS slots

W65C816 CPU

HELP!!

Antonia is just a drop in if your board is socketed. Then use a SIDE 2/3 for the RTC and SDX. 

I can confirm that I put an ANTONIA into my un-upgraded 16K 600XL and it works perfectly. 

Because of the 600XL's completely socketed motherboard and the ANTONIA's solderless instillation, I think that it is just about the best solution out there for a 600XL upgrade. 

Edited by SS

3 hours ago, SS said:

I can confirm that I put an ANTONIA into my un-upgraded 16K 600XL and it works perfectly. 

Because of the 600XL's completely socketed motherboard and the ANTONIA's solderless instillation, I think that it is just about the best solution out there for a 600XL upgrade. 

Antonia is really very easy to install. Unless there's a new BIOS/firmware Ultimate1MB is easier to configure than Antonia, however. Antonia doesn't have a menu to choose an OS but have to memorise which OS is in which slot. @Simius, please correct, if that has been changed recently.

25 minutes ago, slx said:

Antonia doesn't have a menu to choose an OS but have to memorise which OS is in which slot.

This has changed as of v. 1.7 of the Configurator program. You can now name each individual OS file and then save the ID file so that it comes up the same way each time you run the Configurator.  

9 minutes ago, SS said:

This has changed as of v. 1.7 of the Configurator program. You can now name each individual OS file and then save the ID file so that it comes up the same way each time you run the Configurator.  

Thanks. Downloaded. That's a big improvement for people who always misplace notes and don't want to put a sticky with the configs on the computer. 

Do I understand correctly that ANT.EXE is still required to change from one OS ROM config to another?

(@flashjazzcat's menu that allows to perform that is really neat on the U1MB and Incognito. I assume Antonia doesn't have the possibility to include such a menu?)

2 minutes ago, slx said:

Did I understand correctly that ANT.EXE is still required to change from one OS ROM config to another?

Yes.  You use the newest version of ANT.EXE and the ID file will save as a small separate file that will then auto-load whenever you load the ANT.EXE program after that.