IGNORED

Silent Service - Font & Graphic Improvements

MrFish

Adjusted the font set and graphics as follows:

1. Slightly smaller and improved font.

2. Characters/Numbers on gauges improved for readability.

3. Colors for gauges adjusted (gauges no longer purple).

I also picked a green for NTSC that results in a green color for PAL (rather than yellow, as before).

post-6369-0-57093500-1492388569_thumb.png post-6369-0-54313400-1492388577_thumb.png

post-6369-0-99807500-1492388587_thumb.png post-6369-0-86380000-1492388601_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 12

Thanks.

Please see if with your always good taste you can also get better colours on the periscope screen if there are...

I always thought jealous of this screen had the guy on the C64 version but not on A8. Even with ours more limited PMGs it would had been possible. Yes, I know it's not for you and me that could only design him but maybe I can dream that one day some coder put him there.

:)

:thumbsup:

I was actually looking at the periscope earlier and wondering if there was anything that could be done for it.

The C64 version really isn't anything much, especially with the lack of blues. The main thing is that they made the body of the periscope black, and then they have the small amount of curvature at the bottom. That little bit of curve gives the sense of there being a cylinder.

post-6369-0-16295200-1492412028_thumb.png

Getting it black probably wouldn't be too much trouble, and then you'd need to turn the text white to offset it.

post-6369-0-10048500-1492412042_thumb.png

• Like 2

I always thought jealous of this screen had the guy on the C64 version but not on A8. Even with ours more limited PMGs it would had been possible. Yes, I know it's not for you and me that could only design him but maybe I can dream that one day some coder put him there.

It looks like it was another case of "make it work on a 48K machine".

I see; I thought you were talking about two different things.

Yeah, actually the whole game has some odd color schemes. I guess because they couldn't use P/M's, they decided they'd just vary the colors throughout the game. It's not a bad idea conceptually, but then you have to make good choices to make it work.

Honestly, changing the color on the gauges screen was just something I did to get rid of that stupid purple. I suppose there may be a better overall color scheme for that room too. I may take some time to think it over now that we're getting into the discussion.

Well, getting the room to the grays/white/black scheme used by the C64 version is no problem. But a completely gray room would look too dull -- which is why they tried monkeying around with the colors, I'm sure. But, you can take that gray scheme, colorize it, and come up with a decent improvement -- something like what I have below. I actually thought their color scheme for the room wasn't too bad. It was unique and at least didn't look as ridiculous as the purple gauges screen.

post-6369-0-28896800-1492418336_thumb.png

The main thing for the whole game was the lack of P/M's, but there were other things that could have been done better too. For instance, hi-res text could have been used for all the screens, except the text for labeling the gauges. That would have been another big improvement. They were playing to the market, though, so you can't really blame them for going the 48K machine route.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

Here's an approximation of the above. [Note: I haven't changed the pointer to black yet.]

Interestingly, they're the same colors used in other parts of the game, even though I picked them at random when making the changes.

attachicon.gifBlue Room.png

attachicon.gifSilent Service - Blue Room.atr

Just to be clear, the colors have been changed in the actual game here on the ATR. This is not just a Graph2Font picture or otherwise.

Edited by MrFish

Now if we take our prince and use black, we can get away with a single color for the skin, using P/M's. The only thing is, he's a little short for reaching some of the apparatuses. :?

But if he climbs onto the map table, he can reach the ladder and get to the periscope from there. :-D

post-6369-0-43680400-1492454897_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

Great!... Now you posted it... ours/me/you/him/... some but not all involved, at least one not ;). Clearly I now have to explain that Prince of Persia had or not further things but to get into a real game game me/you/... are waiting for him that is what's missing in this phrase...

Confused? Just ask him ;)!...

:thumbsup:

:)