IGNORED

The most ANNOYING sound effects/music/voices in video games.

On the BitCorp Gamate, Cube-Up is a decent Tetris clone :

cubeup3.jpg

It even come with 3 tunes that, while not as emblematic as Korobeiniki, are really pleasant to listen.

(enjoy some 8-bits goodness)

But the programmer(s?) of the game had to ruin all of it with a screeching, ear-bleeding high pitched BEEP noise that play when you MOVE THE BLOCKS. Not when you rotate them, thanks goodness, but any press on left or right is punished with a screeching BEEP.

BTW, hear the little "bleep" in the soundtrack I posted, that sounds like the musician tried to push the sound chip too much? it's THAT Beep, but played over the music,, loud, and that play for as long as you press on the D-pad.

What bothers me in those GBA versions is that every game in the series start with a screen offering you to play the game, or to play Mario Bros. WTF? It's like all those games that ask you to press Start to get the menu. I don't get it. But it's getting off-topic :D

The "music" in 1942 for the NES is often criticized...

beep beep beep beep beep beep beep...

^^ beat me to it

When I first played that game on my MAME cabinet, I assumed the horrendous noise was just an emulation problem, and left it at that. Then, I played a real cabinet and was astounded to learn that those sounds are actually a part of the game. I know it's an older game, but what the living fuck were they thinking?

^^ beat me to it

When I first played that game on my MAME cabinet, I assumed the horrendous noise was just an emulation problem, and left it at that. Then, I played a real cabinet and was astounded to learn that those sounds are actually a part of the game. I know it's an older game, but what the living fuck were they thinking?

I think they were thinking: 33 years from now people will still remember it ... one way or another .... and they were right.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this was mentioned but there's a bug in NES game Pyramid that can be annoying. When you start, turn off sound and music in options, then play game as normal. During the gameplay, drop a bomb. This turns on the siren sound and it will keep wailing on until you shut off NES in frustration. I think it was an oversight in the game code, the developer probably intended for normal music to resume after bomb which would have stopped siren sound but since music was turned off, the siren doesn't get stopped. Also the siren sound doesn't check if the sound is enabled or disabled in the options so it goes off anyway. I'm sure it'd be an easy fix for someone who knows NES assembly.

Anything with a constant "you're dying" sound effect. Zelda grates on my last nerve regularly. I get the need for a danger effect but that constant rapid dingdongdingdongdingdong god damn. I don't know how many times I just looked for the nearest enemy or hole just to get it to stop.

^ I feel horrible for knowing that even exists and that I wasted time watching enough of it as I wrote this. That is so so wrong. Poor Harrison Ford rottened out as some horrible boy band backup dancer crew. This is so bad it doesn't even deserve the Vader NOOOO meme.