IGNORED

PS2/Action Replay/USB issues

Have a PS2/Action Replay question. I want to move some game saves from Game FAQs to my PS2 using AR Max. I have an 8gb flash drive, which I uploaded the saves too from my PC. I launched AR and it recognizes the USB but shows no files at all. I then reformatted the USB from FAT32 to just FAT, and repeated the process. Still not showing any files. I then found a 2gb flash drive (FAT) that I've had for 10 years, and put the save files on there. Again, the PS2 recognized the drive but didn't show any files. What can I do to get it to recognize my save files? They are .max files. I've tried this on a slim and fat system with no luck.

Do you have both the disc and the AR usb? I remember seeing people trying to hack it so you could use any regular USB drive but since I was able to find the whole set I never followed up on that work so I don't know if that was ever perfected. Maybe it's not working since you don't seem to be using the official AR usb?

From my experience, even though I have the disc to launch AR on my PC but never needed it to transfer files at all. I would just drag and drop and the computer recognized it as a normal USB.

Another thing to try is when you're in AR on the PS2, there's a "unpack" / "scrub" option, I can't remember what it was called exactly but the icon looks like a soap dish. That is needed in order to convert the PC .max files into save files the PS2 can use. And vice versa, you need to reverse the process if you want to convert PS2 saves into .max files. Do not try to load raw .max files, it goes without saying that the PS2 is not designed to read .max file formats, that's Maxdrive's proprietary format.

I assume you have the PS2 disc for AR since you were able to grab your save files. But I hope you can clarify that. The AR came with two mini discs. One is marked for PS2, the other for PC. As I said earlier, you shouldn't need the PC disc, however you must have the PS2 disc to make it all work.

EDIT:

Shoot... I just realized something that should have been obvious from the title here. I think you got the wrong product. From my understanding there's two different products, Action Replay Max and the (earlier?) MaxDrive. Action Replay is like a cheat loader, similar to a Game Genie, MaxDrive is for loading saves. Is the disc you're inserting into the PS2 a mini disc or a full sized? It should be a mini disc that looks like this but for US consoles: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS2-Code-Junkies-MAX-Drive-USB-PC-Software-Mini-Disc-Sony-Playstation-2-/221966010450?hash=item33ae348852:g:NDoAAOSwcOFWauks

I remember when I was looking for a MaxDrive I had to look everywhere for one and even then I only found one without the packaging but all the contents, they don't go up very often. But there seems to be a seller in the UK with the right product who, going off the username, might be Datel themselves!!! Check it out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS2-Max-Drive-32MB-for-use-on-US-consoles-NTSC-US-/262927536932?hash=item3d37b3d324:g:p54AAOSwMNxXVtfh

I don't own an Action Replay Max, maybe it did have that feature to transfer saves all along. Maybe someone here can correct me. But I do recall when I was searching for this product I knew to look specifically for a "MaxDrive" and not the others. What I can tell you is that the MaxDrive I linked to does work well and is very intuitive, it never gave me problems (except it doesn't like Chinese 64mb memory cards). I'd say buy that ebay one while it's available, it wasn't back when I was searching a few years ago.