IGNORED

Building a Jaguar: a few questions

Rick Dangerous

So I purchased a New Old Stock Motherboard off ebay the other day, and my plan is to get myself a white shell to build myself a Jag with. I need some AA input on the following:

So far I have, or know that I need:

-Mother Board

-Jag Case

-Power Supply

-AV Cable

-Rubber foot pads for the case

What I am wondering is what else I need? Such as the following items

-LED light (or is that included on the motherboard)-Plan is to switch to Blue anyway, but wondering if the Red is even included?

-Screws, both to attach the motherboard to the case, and to fasten the case together (are any of these included as far as anyone knows who's put one together before, or is a trip to the local hardware store necessary?)

-RF Shielding? The original Jag MOBO is encased in some RF shielding, is that really necessary? I don't think the white case or the bare MoBo come with it. Thoughts? Worth trying to track down from Best or B&C?

-Cutting: Are there directions anywhere as to what parts need to be cut out of the white shells in order to fit the Jag mobo. My impression is that the molds were altered a little for use with the dental camera and a post or two needs to be cut in order to make the mobo fit.

My plan is to have some blue vinyl logos printed up, have a blue LED, and really make this a looker, as well as my go to Jag.

Thanks for any and all input.

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 1

Saw someone recently post a white Jag with a white back cover. Any idea how they accomplished that? I thought the dental molds were open in the back.

I always thought it would be cool to put the Jaguar eye decals in the middle of the circle shape on top on a white jag!

Good luck. Will be following this.

• Like 1

Saw someone recently post a white Jag with a white back cover. Any idea how they accomplished that? I thought the dental molds were open in the back.

I always thought it would be cool to put the Jaguar eye decals in the middle of the circle shape on top on a white jag!

Good luck. Will be following this.

The dental cases, same as the translucent ones and from what I understand the mods Albert obtain do not have the back sadly.

The one shown recently was in the switch less mode thread. He said he obtained the case on ebay, its most likely either a painted case or someone 3d printed a back for it.

If anyone is interested in a white dental case or a used standard jaguar case send me a pm. I have 1 more white and 1 standard jag case.

Edited by crtfreak

you need to saw off the screw posts and superglue them back in accordance with the the holes in the motherboard.

you do realise the bottom white case will need some modification, the screw holes aren't in the same place as propper jag shells at least for the two front screw holes anyway

Thanks, that is exactly the info that I need!

Also, what about RF Shielding? Am I fine without it?

Thanks, that is exactly the info that I need!

Also, what about RF Shielding? Am I fine without it?

The shielding shouldn't be an issue. My main jaguar unit that has dual bios (stock/bjl) has no shielding and i've been using it for well over 10 years. It took the shielding off because the stacked roms where to close for comfort to the top plate. The shielding is mainly to prevent rf interference but poses no harm or risk to you

Fun fact. The genesis and tg16 have shielding here in the states because of the FCC rules but their Japanese and Euro counterparts do not have shielding ( maybe the TG16 release in the uk since its a modified USA console to output Pal by Telegames)

Edited by crtfreak
  • Like 1

What i'm working with so far... :) And I have screws!! (and maybe a screw loose for being so into Jag.)

Edit: I know its a Jag, but in white it looks more like a Lamborghini Countache!

Too many E's!!!! (man I had to look up how to spell the plural of letters)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_Countach

Nevermind flojomojo already pointed it out .... too slow today.

• 2 weeks later...

All parts are in. Two questions:

-What is the best way to saw off the posts that minimizes the loss of plastic?

-Where can you get the rubber feet for the bottom of the Jaguar case?

I have the smaller rubber pads that fit 2600 and just about anything else atari, but the jag rubber pads appear to be wider and shallower.

Thanks!

You're fine without the RF shielding. Is someone still selling NOS mobos? I know Best ran out, I haven't checked w/B&C to see if they stock them. Wouldn't mind have one around for future needs.

Yes, I saw someone selling them on ebay a couple weeks ago. It looked like he had more than one to sell because you could choose how many you wanted. Not sure if he's still selling them though.

Edited by sirlynxalot

-Where can you get the rubber feet for the bottom of the Jaguar case?

You could try asking the guy from Best Electronics:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/

But the rubber feet from Atari aren't that great, they tend to get sticky. You can use generic rubber feet:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/hardware-fasteners-accessories/bumpers-feet-pads-grips/570

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...