IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

Eurogamer's inside sources say that it's happening. We should have an idea soon since July 14th is when they announced it last year.

Bill would know better than I would, but I imagine holding back much longer an announcement for a product like this that they're planning to have on store shelves in time for the Christmas shopping season, risks retailer leaks spilling the beans. So if July comes and goes without any word, I'd bet it doesn't happen this year.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Eurogamer's inside sources say that it's happening. We should have an idea soon since July 14th is when they announced it last year.

Bill would know better than I would, but I imagine holding back much longer an announcement for a product like this that they're planning to have on store shelves in time for the Christmas shopping season, risks retailer leaks spilling the beans. So if July comes and goes without any word, I'd bet it doesn't happen this year.

Nintendo didn't have the Switch last year. Now that their newest system has been proven to be a good seller so far, there's no point in dividing their consumer base (and their own company resources) by releasing the Super-NES Mini. But that doesn't mean they don't work on it in their secret labs. They've probably gone through a few prototypes already.

• Like 2

They want people to spend that money on the Switch.

Apparently they don't want to target the non-gamers in their 30s and 40s who would never spend money on an actual console, but would buy an officially branded NES or SNES plug n play for nostalgia and to share with their kids.

Apparently they don't want to target the non-gamers in their 30s and 40s who would never spend money on an actual console, but would buy an officially branded NES or SNES plug n play for nostalgia and to share with their kids.

Seems that way, and I don't blame them. Why should they bother with one-time people giving them $60 when they can't make enough of their $300 console to meet demand? The latter customers will buy many more games ... and maybe THEIR kids can get a Switch Classic Mini in 30 years.

One per person for the "true fans," shipped directly, would be nice. Leave it out of stores and deny it from scalpers hands.

That would be ideal. Like their odd deals they've done before on specific goods where you could only buy it direct from store.nintendo.com or their 800#, and then one retail location on the side (usually been gamestop when it's done.) This would allow anyone the opportunity to buy a unit and just one unit per registered account, credit card, and mailing address. That would stomp out the scalping prick behavior drastically.

• Like 3

I always heard that the NES Mini was created to clear out old Wii parts. Which explains why they discontinued the thing so quickly. I also heard that the reason they didn't just dump them all on the market at once was because they knew they only had so much to go around, so they tried to trickle them out slowly over time. I don't think their plan worked though because now there's a ton of unsold product sitting on ebay.

I'll welcome a SNES Mini, but I'll also believe it when I see it. Not a peep about it at E3 to the retail community.

Wow. So someone thinks that because they had a lot extra of the little connectors that match the Wii. Nintendo created a whole new shell, new classic style controllers, an emulator system, and a custom designed carton? Just to clear out some old parts?

The second pet about trickling them out almost makes sense, but the "extra parts" hypothesis makes me :lolblue:

Wow. So someone thinks that because they had a lot extra of the little connectors that match the Wii. Nintendo created a whole new shell, new classic style controllers, an emulator system, and a custom designed carton? Just to clear out some old parts?

Not much tooling in the tiny little shell. Controller tooling probably just modified from the original.

I'll welcome a SNES Mini, but I'll also believe it when I see it. Not a peep about it at E3 to the retail community.

Like I've said in recent days, there was no inkling at E3 2016 of the NES Classic Edition. So why would there be for a follow-up?

Nintendo kept a tight lid on it that as far as I'm aware, was perfect. It was announced out of the blue in the middle of July with a press release. No E3 unveiling, no Nintendo Direct video, no pre-announcement rumors, etc. I wouldn't expect any different for a potential follow-up, if/when it happens.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1