IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

eBay rule is preorder must be shipped within 30 days of payment. This SNES is a lot more than 30 days later. If his buyer remembers this they can leave the seller a neg after 30 days for failing to follow the rule.

And no Chrono Trigger????? I'll put my $80 elsewhere like a PSP with softmod to play Chrono Trigger on emulator

• Like 1

I gotta say I'm really impressed with the game list that Nintendo came up with for this one. It's a pretty fantastic showcase of the SNES's first and third party fan favorites along with the never before officially released Star Fox 2, and I'm sure a lot of people will buy the system just for that game. I don't think I could have come up with a better game list myself, barring swapping Secret of Mana for Chrono Trigger. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

Yeah Star Fox is my favorite Nintendo Series and now I'm gonna have to go along and get one just so I can have the first legit release of Star Fox 2.

The rest of the lineup is killer too, I'll actually wanna play most of the stuff, since I've been wanting to revisit a lot of them.

• Like 2

Well, I was wrong, of course. I thought there was no way they were going to release this after prematurely pulling the NES Mini after only a limited stock allocation. Perhaps my problem was trying to apply logic to Nintendo.

I didn't think they'd do it either. I guess we will see an honest-to-goodness "console war" between SNES and Genesis, just like 1992 all over again.

Nintendo has:

known Nintendo quality

HDMI cable

wired controllers

Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting

21 games, all excellent quality, every single one a classic, and introducing one little-seen prototype

Nintendo Switch and 3DS marketing, if they choose to cross-promote

Sega has:

AtGames' sketchy reputation (which might not be deserved this time around)

more than twice the games, of uneven quality, even before the non-Genesis "filler" stuff is considered

Mortal Kombat trilogy if you like that kind of thing

wireless controllers

cartridge slot

Sega Forever marketing, which might be more hindrance than help right now

Assuming they're both widely available from the same places (a HUGE assumption), I'm not sure Nintendo looks so great in comparison, especially if folks still have old Genesis cartridges lying around. Being able to slap a vintage Road Rash or NHL '94 cartridge into the nuGenesis seems like a good thing.

I simply can't wait for the lengthy internet and YouTube think pieces about which is better, especially the ones that end with "they're cheap, get both."

• Like 2

I didn't think they'd do it either. I guess we will see an honest-to-goodness "console war" between SNES and Genesis, just like 1992 all over again.

Nintendo has:

known Nintendo quality

HDMI cable

wired controllers

Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting

21 games, all excellent quality, every single one a classic, and introducing one little-seen prototype

Nintendo Switch and 3DS marketing, if they choose to cross-promote

Sega has:

more than twice the games, of uneven quality, even before the non-Genesis "filler" stuff is considered

wireless controllers

cartridge slot

Assuming they're both widely available from the same places (a HUGE assumption), I'm not sure Nintendo looks so great in comparison, especially if folks still have old Genesis cartridges lying around. Being able to slap a vintage Road Rash or NHL '94 cartridge into the nuGenesis seems like a good thing.

I simply can't wait for the lengthy internet and YouTube think pieces about which is better, especially the ones that end with "they're cheap, get both."

I'm planning on getting both, but the Genesis one is the only one I'm really worried about since A) I need a Genesis and an HDMI one sounds awesome and B) I don't realistically expect to see the Nintendo one unless it's delivered to me by an honest politician riding a unicorn.

To me, it comes down to Nintendo's shortages vs. AtGames' sketchy build quality. Who screws it up more?

• Like 5

Many saw a Snes mini coming, they will pull same crap with limited availability feeding the scalpers market and make crying Nintendo fanboys. I will stick to the million other ways I have to play Snes roms,,,,,,,Personally I would only be interested in aN64 one because there are no N64 clones, oh not interested enough to get one or bother trying but I think it would be cool.

• Like 2

Do we know yet how the controllers physically interface with the system? I assume the ports on the front that are styled after those on the original console, are there for a purpose. Yet we also all know that the Classic Controller standard is supported.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

. I will stick to the million other ways I have to play Snes roms,,,,,,

I say this every time, but is the point for us really about the offered games (which as you said are available in a myriad of different ways including simply having an snes + carts). Or is it in in having this official miniature Super Nintendo model and box. That's the question. :)

For me, it's the hardware of course. I want one! :lol:

• Like 1

Sega has:

wireless controllers

cartridge slot

The AtGames Sega HD unit will have Sega Master System and Game Gear games in lieu of the usual "filler" games. Not sure if that helps per se, but it's kind of an interesting angle.

• Like 5

Glad to hear it's official.

It's Awesome they got games like Castlevania IV and Earthbound on there...I'm also a bit surprised there's no Chrono Trigger. Personally I'd love to see Breath of Fire. I must be alone on this one. I can't figure out if other people think of that game as obscure, or generic, or maybe it just didn't click for everyone. Full props for Starfox 2 of course. And I also wish there was at least one Bomberman on there. (As long as I'm dreaming) if they really wanted to surprise us, they should have thrown in Jaki Crush; A Super Famicom only pinball game that is a sequel to Alien Crush and Devil's Crush. It's a personal favorite.

For the controller, my guess is that it will be like the NES Mini plug when all is said and done, but that's just a guess.

Does anybody else think it's strange that the European release says 20 + 1 games, instead of 21 games? What's so special about that last game?

The AtGames Sega HD unit will have Sega Master System and Game Gear games in lieu of the usual "filler" games. Not sure if that helps per se, but it's kind of an interesting angle.

I don't know how I missed that ... I just realized that when showing the lineup from this press release to a co-worker. I was like, "hey, Phantasy Star is an SMS game." And there it is, with a bunch of GG games, too. Well played. This puts the nuGenesis over the top, at least on paper.

• Like 1

I was just thinking and...I don't think a 2.5 hour wait in line will do it for this one...I'm going to plan on a 4 hour wait. I also wonder if Nintendo will actually make a lot more of them this time around? It seems like last time they hid behind the excuse that they didn't know it would be so popular. Even though Everyone else knew. Considering this time they have knowledge aforethought, Maybe, ...just maybe they'll manufacture more units instead of big headlines...

Report Item -> Listing Practices -> Inappropriate Seller Terms -> Presale -- Report the jerk, I did.

On the subject of the system. I'm nauseated and happy at the same time. I'm having horrible flashbacks of trying to get my kid the NES system and despite Nintendo saying they learned their lesson...when have those bastards ever learned their lesson?? So, will we see 5M units instead of 2M with a possible upwards revision if they extend into 2018? I'd actually want to write this off, BUT...there are a couple spendy games on there I don't have, PLUS -- LEGIT STAR FOX 2. I have a repro made by a friend over 5 years ago, but Nintendo likes to lie(tell truth?) it's not legit and complete. I'd like to legally own that game and support the developers, the publisher, and my personal interests in exploring that 25 years too late.

That said I WILL NOT pay over $80+tax for it. I will not pay scalper sub-human garbage a fee to buy something Nintendo just produced as they're greedy shitheels. As Lethal Weapon quotes go -- 'I'm too old for this shit' is quite fitting. I'll get one, somehow, legally and from a retail outfit, not scum. Hopefully this is all worry for naught, but you have douches putting them already illegally on ebay (they ban presell) for $200-300+ which is sickening.

I'm fed up enough I'd be probably furious enough to just stop buying Nintendo products (new) on the whole if they mirror how they treated people with the NES CE (and Amiibo) with this device as well. I'm just fed up with the situation if there is one yet again. If not, cool, let's party.

That said, curious if existing SNES controllers will work. That would be awesome. Retail VC value alone the system fits in line game vs price as the NES does, but add those games up along the lines of aftermarket holy hell that's a savings.

• Like 2

Yeah Star Fox is my favorite Nintendo Series and now I'm gonna have to go along and get one just so I can have the first legit release of Star Fox 2.

Same here! I never got into the Star Fox series until Star Fox Adventures on the GameCube, but that game is still my all time favorite action-adventure game and I've really enjoyed all the other games in the Star Fox series that I've played since then too (Assault, Command, and 64 3D). I've still never played the original outside of laggy emulation though, so the SNES Mini will definitely be worth the purchase for me just to have an official release of Star Fox 1 & 2. :)

Edited by Jin

Well I'll be darned. Nice selection of game too. :)

But as others have said, there's no way mere commoners are going to find this new plug-and-play in retail stores. The units will fly off the shelves... No, forget the shelves, they'll fly out of the f**ing shipping boxes as soon as they arrive in the stores.

I haven't checked, so I wonder if this new Mini will have a hackable USB port. :P