IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

So this year, looks like work won out: I wasn't able to get down to the Walmart prior to opening, so no SNES Mini for me :( Plan B involves taking late morning starts on timed days to see if they get in any more units...which they did with the NES Classic, you just had to be there on the day. It wasn't much, mind you, but weekly they'd get a few. So even if they get ten a week, I've got a good shot.

That said, there will be more available in the new year so it's no huge loss. Right now I'm calculating gas costs vs just paying an ebay scalper :D For an extra 40 or 50 bux, might be worth my while. Who knows, maybe they'll be available via online retailers as well. I've had zero luck with Amazon for this kinda thing, but you never know.

I haven't read anything about the issues of sound and slight input lag. Which is great! And who knows, maybe the upcoming NES Minis will have that issue fixed as well. One can hope.

Skimming this thread, seems like a lot of Star Fox pros out there. Anybody give Secret of Mana a start? That was a monster of a game, IIRC. It wasn't really my bag but I will definitely give it a shot once I get my hands on it.

And by the way, for those haters out there who don't understand why anybody would get worked up over some 'piece of plastic'...go pound sand, you depressing gits. If you're on AA, then your entire existance (yes, ENTIRE) here is based upon 'plastic'. So climb down from your ivory tower, killjoys. Without plastic, all you'd have to keep yourselves company would be your negative vibes and sourpuss-looking faces. So either open your minds back up or stop flappin' yer gums.

I received one of these last week and I've been pleasantly surprised by it. The picture looks nice and crisp, the controllers feel great, and the input lag is nearly non-existent from what I can tell. Nintendo really nailed the "feel" you get with this thing. You completely forget you are playing via emulation and I think that's what makes the SNES Classic special.

• Like 3

I just got really really good at playing Star Fox 1 back in the day, especially the center path so I can usually 98-100% it even now. I'll admit I don't recall how to get into the special areas other than plugging those pinwheeling asteroids at the last second. I can handle (or could?) the other courses but I never liked them as much as I really dig the space armada.

Secret of Mana I'll take a whack at eventually but I've been poking away at the shorter stuff mostly though I did decide ultimately to fire up Earthbound. With that Mario RPG popping up on my doorstep this week for 3DS I didn't feel like double dipping that way or I would have done that.

Nice closing sentence there on pound sand, I agree as it gets old. And I wouldn't worry too much it has already been restocking on and offline already. Just the other day gamestop got a heap of them on their website to sell for one, and I heard some hit retail too. That's a faster pace than the NES refilled at that's for damn certain.

It still blows my mind how Nintendo ramped up the supply tenfold this time around and we still get scalpers selling them on eBay for 2-300% msrp. If demand was the same and supply increased, wouldn't secondhand prices decline at least a little bit over last year's mini?

Still jealous Japan got Puzzle De Pon and no Tetris Attack for us. Yes, I'm aware of the license issues. Still no puzzle games at all on the snes mini. Seems platform and adventure/rpg heavy. Which isn't a bad thing, just an observation.

Also Tanooki, since you're a self-proclaimed Starfox expert, any tips on beating stage 1? I suck at it apparently. :P

well 10x jack squat still = jack squat, and the scalpers had the last umpteen months to gear up for it

yea sure there's more coming, maybe a half shipping container 2 days before xmass, nintendo's been doing this game for years, you dont want santa to let down your snot faced having a hissy fit kid down for jeebus's birthday do you????

DO YOU???

• Like 1

Still jealous Japan got Puzzle De Pon and no Tetris Attack for us. Yes, I'm aware of the license issues. Still no puzzle games at all on the snes mini. Seems platform and adventure/rpg heavy. Which isn't a bad thing, just an observation.

Other genres are sorely missing as well, like shoot 'em ups. Considering multiple Konami games are on it, it's a shame at least something like Gradius III isn't featured.

No shmups, no beat 'em ups, no puzzle games. Kind of a bummer.

any tips on beating stage 1? I suck at it apparently. :P

Um.. Shoot stuff and don't fly into the ground. Not really sure what other advice could be given.

• Like 1

Other genres are sorely missing as well, like shoot 'em ups. Considering multiple Konami games are on it, it's a shame at least something like Gradius III isn't featured.

No shmups, no beat 'em ups, no puzzle games. Kind of a bummer.

As a fellow Turbografx collector, 16-bit years was the sweet spot for classic Shmups. I do own the trio of Parodius games on Super Famicom. Parodius would have made a delightful entry...

So this year, looks like work won out: I wasn't able to get down to the Walmart prior to opening, so no SNES Mini for me :( Plan B involves taking late morning starts on timed days to see if they get in any more units...which they did with the NES Classic, you just had to be there on the day. It wasn't much, mind you, but weekly they'd get a few. So even if they get ten a week, I've got a good shot.

That said, there will be more available in the new year so it's no huge loss. Right now I'm calculating gas costs vs just paying an ebay scalper :D For an extra 40 or 50 bux, might be worth my while. Who knows, maybe they'll be available via online retailers as well. I've had zero luck with Amazon for this kinda thing, but you never know.

I haven't read anything about the issues of sound and slight input lag. Which is great! And who knows, maybe the upcoming NES Minis will have that issue fixed as well. One can hope.

Skimming this thread, seems like a lot of Star Fox pros out there. Anybody give Secret of Mana a start? That was a monster of a game, IIRC. It wasn't really my bag but I will definitely give it a shot once I get my hands on it.

And by the way, for those haters out there who don't understand why anybody would get worked up over some 'piece of plastic'...go pound sand, you depressing gits. If you're on AA, then your entire existance (yes, ENTIRE) here is based upon 'plastic'. So climb down from your ivory tower, killjoys. Without plastic, all you'd have to keep yourselves company would be your negative vibes and sourpuss-looking faces. So either open your minds back up or stop flappin' yer gums.

I was lucky to get one on launch day. That being said, I like the thing so much that a want another one 'just because'. I see them going for as low as $155 with free shipping I'm still on the fence though. So if you really want one and you can spare the cash I'd just bite the bullet and get one off Ebay. You will love it. :) The frames and demos are great! I never want to turn it off! :cool:

• Like 1

It still blows my mind how Nintendo ramped up the supply tenfold this time around and we still get scalpers selling them on eBay for 2-300% msrp. If demand was the same and supply increased, wouldn't secondhand prices decline at least a little bit over last year's mini?

Also Tanooki, since you're a self-proclaimed Starfox expert, any tips on beating stage 1? I suck at it apparently. :P

I hate to say it but not really. The problem I guess with Star Fox is that there is little strategy involved as it's a rail shooter more or less. If you have a problem of getting shot down a lot, stay clear of walls/ground and wear your hand out beating the hell out of the L or R button. If you're rotating the moment a shot hits you it just deflects off without chewing up the life bar. Cornernia has nothing much going for it other than shoot anything that moves, and even then even if you're great you won't hit it all, a little always gets by but off screen your 3 wingmen will scoop them up as the game is fairly generous with that. Now if it's the boss, same applies really, just be rotating consistently and shooting as much so first starting on the hangar on the right side and as it drops off line up so you can just slightly pop up/down to blow out the two doors there. On that last bit, take the hit if needed while spinning or not and just unload on the small target and if you're fast it won't even get time to turn around and do another pass. Silver waypoint circles also refill the life bar, the yellow floaters off some kills is like 10% but it helps.

I also agree kind of dumb they left out puzzles, even if it wasn't Tetris Attack given last years game why not Tetris&Dr Mario as you could squeeze in 2 games in the spot of one. It would have been nice to get Mystical Ninja too but the loss of likely Castlevania for that would have been too much.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of getting the Super Famicom Classic eventually. Just to have it. Japan Ebay sellers look to be about $145 w/ free shipping (i.e.~$50 profit). But I'll probably wait to see if they show up on Play-Asia eventually. :P

I'm thinking of getting the Famicom Mini in the prayer of a chance I find it cheap. Enough of a unique form factor to warrant the coolection. Not to dis the games included on the SNES and NES because they're awesome. I just wish puzzlers and shooters were better represenbted on the SNES classic Mini.

Thanks to the SNES Classic I just went through the process of updating my Star Fox 2 repro cart and documented the video below. I also show the differences between the beta and final versions. I think the final version of the game is really nice!

Edited by DJ Clae
  • Like 5

If they ever add FX chips support to the SD2SNES then I'll be in business. Until then I'll just have to wait.

Yeah.. everyone's opinion will vary, but as far as SD2SNES incompatibilities there's really only 10 or so "must haves" for myself.. i.e.:

Tetris 2+ Bombliss
Starfox
Starfox 2
Stunt Race FX
Yoshi’s Island
Kirby’s Dream Land 3
Kirby Super Star
Super Bomberman Panic Bomber World
Super Mario RPG
Street Fighter Alpha 2
The solution at the moment is to have carts for them, which thankfully isn't too hard as none of them are ultra rare.. if you don't have them already from the SNES heyday. :)
  • Like 1

c86b7e0133d441b644d636f2a6c96a38.jpg

My collection is complete.

I even managed to buy one more as a Christmas gift at the weekend. Walked into my local toy store. They had 11, 10 were still on pre-order which haven’t been collected in over a week. One spare to sell, so I took it and will make a family member very very happy!

Definitely much more stock than the NES Classic that’s for sure. Still not enough though I guess, since I know people who still trying to get one.

Edited by aligborat69
  • Like 1

I think all the carts got pulled from ebay now. Have to go on etsy.

Thanks NE146. The soldering isn't quite as bad as it looks in the video. I tried to give just a broad overview, because there seems to be more differences than I can mention. The Cutting Room Floor or someone will probably come up with a more comprehensive list eventually.

Yeah.. everyone's opinion will vary, but as far as SD2SNES incompatibilities there's really only 10 or so "must haves" for myself.. i.e.:

Tetris 2+ Bombliss

Starfox

Starfox 2

Stunt Race FX

Yoshis Island

Kirbys Dream Land 3

Kirby Super Star

Super Bomberman Panic Bomber World

Super Mario RPG

Street Fighter Alpha 2

The solution at the moment is to have carts for them, which thankfully isn't too hard as none of them are ultra rare.. if you don't have them already from the SNES heyday. :)

Street Fighter is possible if someone goes through the work of decompressing it. It was done with Star Ocean already.