IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

I called the local Walmart with hopes of a restock on the horizon. The lady was pretty professional, didn't say much, only that "we get dozens of calls about this every. day." I thanked her for her honesty and patience.

How the F am I gonna get one of these things at retail...lol.

With a little,,,

• Like 1

So...is there anybody here with an actual Super NES Classic who played it? Opinions? Or is there another thread for that?

The games themselves have been around and fully dissected for a couple decades now.. whatcha want? :) As far as the system itself, it's great, it's cute.. the menu system is nice however note that to get to the savestate / menu system you have push the reset button on the console itself which is annoying.. however you can use a Wii Classic Controller to get around that.

I've played it as far as finishing Super Punchout. I have always been able to finish it, but with the Classic I used the savestate feature to complete it without getting a hit and countering every punch that was about to be thrown (which dizzies the opponent). Exploiting that kind of stuff to me is the fun of emulation vs. playing the real thing. :lol:

• Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo does a plug-in HDMI gameboy/gameboy color/gameboy advance thing next (probably a couple years though). N64 just isn't gonna happen anytime soon (emulator issues), and the demand for it will be about half of the NES classic probably. The system did not age well (then again it wasn't very good for the time anyway). I'd say even original gameboy has aged better.

Edited by Tusecsy
  • Like 1

Just got one of these beauties this mid morning!. A friend of mine, whose friend is a Target manager, informed him to hurry up and get a Snes mini as they received just 18 boxes in the morning. My friend sent me a message and I flew to the store and was able the get 1 of the 3 left.

Played with my daughter for hours. The games are fantastic!.

• Like 1

N64 just isn't gonna happen anytime soon (emulator issues), and the demand for it will be about half of the NES classic probably. The system did not age well (then again it wasn't very good for the time anyway).

I disagree, the N64 did and still does very well. I think the N64 may have better demand than the nes. If you think about it the nes doesn't have huge player demand, it mainly goes to collectors. On the other hand the N64 is less collector oriented and more player driven, as least that's what I think. Game store's around here get more for N64 systems and controllers than they do for nes and N64 sells better at least for the core games.

• Like 1

I'd agree with that statement up there that the N64 has aged worse than the Gameboy. The GB maybe lower resolution, but it's also pixel art and either basic or highly detailed the games look decent to great. The chip tune audio is solid to miserable but that's a game issue not a system one. N64 though like other 1st gen 3D systems, they don't like modern TVs at all -- lighting problems, textures, look very jagged, AA gets jacked up in some stuff, the old systems just used CRTs to exploit some display features HDTVs lack. GB would be far easier as a portable with a cable option to the TV overall.

As far as the system goes. There's not much to review really. The games work and look as they should outside of a thing here or there for anti-seizure tampering like the NES had. Solid easy to use menu. Good language features with 3 acceptably decent display choices though pixel perfect gets a bit wonky. They still were dumb and left a QR code for the manuals website (is it that hard to just type something up like the VC has??) The saving saves four spots right where you left it, that's it. They added a rewind feature that goes back for a bit of time to get out of screw ups or bad decisions on whatever game. The cable on the controller is twice the NES but still kind of short, but any extension cables you had for the first or Wii/WiiU in general work there too. Controller and system are solidly built and are just overall well made. Some may debate that drop flap on the front of the SNES to reveal the ports is a bit tight or annoying but if you don't abuse it it will last. In the NA regions and some others you get everything you need -- system, controllers, 6ft hdmi, and the ac power brick, but some areas do leave out the brick which is lame. If you're into modding, brainlessly easy with hakchi2 that does it for your pictures, text and all. That I think pretty much covers it without covering the games.

This is probably not a popular opinion around here, but I really thought the "Pixel Perfect" mode looked Great on my HDTV! Everything was just so crisp and tasty, ya know, although I'm probably comparing it to my early college years when all I had was RF and it looked crummy...I would've gone zonkers had I seen a picture like this back then :P

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo does a plug-in HDMI gameboy/gameboy color/gameboy advance thing next (probably a couple years though). N64 just isn't gonna happen anytime soon (emulator issues), and the demand for it will be about half of the NES classic probably. The system did not age well (then again it wasn't very good for the time anyway). I'd say even original gameboy has aged better.

heresy! :o

n64 is a classic, with a fantastic library (though arguably half of those were rare games) and if the emulator supported 720p and let you adjust the gamma, that would be the cherry on the top.

I'm not sure why you think n64 isn't doable. The little chip in the nes classic has more rame, storage, and horsepower than a wii. If the wii could do n64 emulation, so could a mini console. And by 2018 or 19 or whenever, the next cpu up from that little board will be ready.

This is probably not a popular opinion around here, but I really thought the "Pixel Perfect" mode looked Great on my HDTV! Everything was just so crisp and tasty, ya know, although I'm probably comparing it to my early college years when all I had was RF and it looked crummy...I would've gone zonkers had I seen a picture like this back then :P

I set both my snes and nes mini to crt mode. SNES looks sharp with non-intrusive scanlines, and nes even has the vertical dot crawl on the edges of vertical lines. The only thing it lacked IMO was the color artifacting which is absolutely not necessary unless you're a "warts and all" purist.

The CRT filter is softer than the AVS but I like both. One little nitpick on the nes version is the palette ie is the blue skies are still purple in mario bros and the blocks are too brown. The real CRTs had a hint of brick earthen red in them. Clyde also looked brown instead of orange in pacman as well, but at least the snes rbg color palettes are perfect.

• Like 1

A Walmart that I go to sometimes that's out of town had two in stock today. I usually stop by the videogame section to see if they have anything good on clearance and was blown away when I saw not one but two sitting there.

I bet some people who don't use ebay that can't get local people on craigslist to pay more returned them.

I set both my snes and nes mini to crt mode. SNES looks sharp with non-intrusive scanlines, and nes even has the vertical dot crawl on the edges of vertical lines. The only thing it lacked IMO was the color artifacting which is absolutely not necessary unless you're a "warts and all" purist.

The CRT filter is softer than the AVS but I like both. One little nitpick on the nes version is the palette ie is the blue skies are still purple in mario bros and the blocks are too brown. The real CRTs had a hint of brick earthen red in them. Clyde also looked brown instead of orange in pacman as well, but at least the snes rbg color palettes are perfect.

I haven't checked out the CRT mode to be honest...I'll get to it eventually. But I'm not sure if it's my jam.

The thing is, back in the day, I always wanted a better picture...Sometimes I felt like I was fighting to see through a haze on the screen. My memories of static and ghosting on RF, are one thing I was never nostalgic for. And I really liked the jump from RF to A/V and then again to S-Video and so on. Even way back when I knew there had to be a better way.

I also predicted that someday TVs would be better and thinner and flatter, and shinier with better resolution...Although Widescreen was something I never predicted. That one caught me off guard.

Now, Don't get me wrong, I love a good CRT too, ...just not through RF. But I do feel like TVs now are (sort of) what I predicted we'd have in "The Future"... I don't know...Are we here yet? Is it "The Jetsons" outside? I guess I don't see girls wearing Saturn rings on their hats, and nobody has a robot maid....Not to mention flying cars and (real) hoverboards...But we're getting closer every day!

• Like 3

Yeah the player 2 cable is basically for show unless you enjoy snuggling with friends to conserve body heat. It would be perfect for Eskimoes! I could easily cut the player 1 cable and add in a 9 ft extension cord. I do know my way around with a soldering iron and multimeter. With proper heatshrink, the extra long cord would be almost seemless... :cool:

...Or just get a 12 ft HDMI and keep it stock. ;)

So my Famicom Mini arrived on Saturday and it is genuine product complete with the My Nintendo codes. It works great but my hnds did cramp up with the smallish controllers. I've been brainstorming how I could mod this thing to use external controllers without defacing the console externally and I think I've found a solution.

https://www.focusattack.com/brook-nincade-wireless-control-pcba-kit-for-nes-classic-or-famicom-mini/

Add-on board goes inside the mini console and allows you to pair 8bitdo and other third party BT controllers. I think I'll buy one and hook it up to the player 1 pin header. No word yet if it works on the SNES Mini but it does have updateable firmware. I also have the 8bitdo receiver which works on the NES Classic Mini (and 8bitdo has promised an update for the SNES Classic) so only the Famicom Mini would really benefit from this add-on. The primary benefit is it goes inside the console and allows you to pair the external controllers. Hopefully the 8bitdo just connects automatically like with the NES receiver so I don't have to input the Konami code every time. A simpler shortcut hotkey would have sufficed IMO.

Other thoughts, I measured the mini consoles with my trusty pair of $20 Harbor Freight 6" calipers and determined the relative scale of each of the mini consoles based on height. Sadly I don't have an original red/white Famicom for reference (I only have the A/V model) so I compared the mini controller to a Joycard EXT controller.

• NES Mini: ~50.2%
  • SNES Classic Mini (US version): ~55.2%
  • Famicom Mini controller (length vs Hudson Joycard Famicom EXT Controller): ~63.8%

These scale replicas really do embody the unique style of each classic console. The level of detail in the molding is immaculate.

• Like 1

So...is there anybody here with an actual Super NES Classic who played it? Opinions? Or is there another thread for that?

The Classic is an enjoyable device. Physically I like the miniaturized design of the SNES shell. The power and reset buttons from the original Super Nintendo are fully functional but the cartridge slot does not open and the eject button does nothing. Being that the games are pre-installed on the device, it makes sense not to have cartridge slot and eject button do anything. Before you can plug in the controllers you have to pull down a swing door to reveal the controller slots. I feel that not only is the swing door unnecessary, but the controller cords are too short. The console is HDMI ready and comes with a HDMi cord, but that is also too short. I would suggest attaining a longer HDMI cord on your own.

When you turn on the console, the user interface is a treat. It's neatly organized and easy to navigate, and the background music is catchy. Because pixel art doesn't always look great on HDTVs, you are given various screen filters. I personally use the CRT Filter that blurs/smooths out the pixels, which makes the 2D games easier on the eyes. With 21 well-known pre-installed games from various genres, the Classic has a a lot of content to offer and whether you're a fan of racers, fighters, platformers etc, you will find something to play here.

Speaking of playing, the SNES Classic gives you the ability to save games in 1 of 4 save slots and even have a rewind features on your saves, in case you need to go back in time and correct a mistake you made on your last playthrough. I believe the length of the rewind feature depends on the game. One thing I don't like is if you're playing a game and you want to save it in one of the slots or if you just want to get back to the Classic's main menu, you have to hit the reset button on the device... every time.

Overall it's worth the purchase. It's got a great selection of games and its shortcomings can be overlooked since you're able to use longer hdmi cords and 3rd party controllers. Additionally, you have the option to softmod the SNES Classic to include more SNES games as well as games for other consoles including the Gameboy, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, etc. You can even softmod it so you can use a controller command to get back to the main menu instead of resorting to hitting the reset button on the device. I don't regret my purchase, and I don't think anyone else will either.

Edited by Tartfox
  • Like 2