IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

The bigger problem is unless you have a 40-60" hd TV. You can get more actual playfield on an old 20" CRT with the OG SNES. :ponder:

But then the pixels would be like giant bricks and you could build a virtual house out of them... :rolling:

He does have a point. Depending on the TV you have it will definitely appear sharper but losing the full view area of a modern TV they just aren't that tall vs wide, so you really have to go up in size or you're down into the 20" TV range on things.

Technically you could almost place two SNES screens side by side on one of those ultrawide 64x27 aspect PC monitors. They'd be perfect for doing a LAN party setup with two game cubes with Game Boy Player attachments, and a link cable. Didn't the Japanese Super Game Boy 2 also have a link port on it? You could hook up two Super gameboys and split the picture. :cool:

Ya don't say! Hey, maybe there IS something to these (obviously intentional) 'shortages', almost as if they want to FORCE this sort of frenzied artificial market, practically GUARANTEEING that their $10 emulation devices soar into the HUNDREDS and assure continued $ales!

Buy NOW! Limited time offer! Individually numbered pieces, supply is LIMITED!

attachicon.gif72Ade-q1 (1).jpg

Every yard sale, thrift, and flea will be swarming with these various devices within three years time. By then they'll be on their 50th 'revision' and still laughing from the boardroom while folks tear each other to pieces and whine about "SCALPERS!!!" that they themselves have intentionally created. Mark my words.

;)

We should really all listen to Captain Obvious here. Unfortunately these dumbass buyers paying top dollar on scambay for drip feed collectibles will never learn... :dunce:

post-61233-0-27317300-1506893572.jpg

• Like 1

Yes the Super Gameboy 2 has a link cable to tie it to another Gameboy. Also that one runs at a 1:1 speed with original hardware as the original one supposedly runs like 3% faster. No one but the most picky ever really noticed or called it out but I've read up on it and still don't care as it never messed me up using it. :)

By the way this one thing got me thinking about something on the big scale. The last decade and a half we have been witness to a hell of a lot of these TV games closed devices. Namco and Atari (with Jakks) have been at it the longest. It's amazing how far you go back just how bad the stuff has mostly consistently stayed in all this time. You do find these rare cases like the original flashback 2 which isn't emulated and can have the boared(inked for it by the factory) hacked to add a real cart slot and the oldest of the paddle ones which nearly 1:1 those games too where it's solid. The very old picked up both by coleco way back and then later atgames master system/game gear closed device is another. Yet around that oh my god how bad can it be and how many times? Answer is too many because the people mostly picking it up didn't care. Radica, Jakks, Namco, ATGames (Sega, Int, Coleco, Atari), Golden Tee, C64, Konami, Capcom, and EA to name many more or less uniformly all produced varying levels of crap devices with some major problems of totally not reproducing things right at all to having some horribly broken aspects to how the stuff works. ATGames probably the more glaring since they're easy to call out with the Genesis with their broken audio, broken save games (even in real games in the slot), some graphics problems breaking a few others) as would be the really sloppily coded EA sports tv titles too and the varying atari devices that got truly wonky. Most the Namco stuff was garbage too with old very early 80s games not looking/sounding right or even if they did they were recoded and didn't behave as they should for no good reason other than sloppy work.

Nintendo comes along late last year and basically upends stuff with the NES Classic and raised the bar from the usual C to D level grade efforts with a solid B+/A- attempt with theirs. Yes it's not perfect and I'm not talking lame cord length, but the NES was an odd bird and even scaling visuals caused some effect to the pixels, and you could get that slighty off audio effect only a true NES fan with deep memories would notice, maybe a dropped frame or two in a more intense game I think as well. Then we have Fridays SNES Classic, the upgrade. This one has tighter visuals, better handled display output, more stable frames going on, audio is nicer too. It is perfect, not quite, but it's a solid A/A- effort and really not likely you could on that kind of cheapo harder get much better. Clearly it had some kind of an impact, look at ATgames. After blowing over a decade ignoring angry Sega diehards gripes roll out an HD box which pretty much corrects all the problems really raising their bar huge, and then they hand it off to the 2600 and 2600(Activision) devices making things so much nicer there as well. Even the chinese pirate crazies are starting to actually slap together their multicart pirate wet dream boxes together with HDMI. Some halfassing it with a terrible rca quality upscaler (which those doofuses at Hyperkin are using on their NES/SNES hd units) which is dumb. Others like the Coolbaby HD system with 600 games on it, or even that odd duck one that's a NES Classic UK clone with just 30 games output proper HD feeds and the games look and sound far more excellent. Nintendo basically made a good impact for legit and illegitimate businesses to go by if they want to get gamers money. Good on them if you think about it in that respect.

I could not care less if they released a N64 unit or something else and just kept these around for years as a holiday or every other (trade off) holiday system or just terminated them entirely after 2018. It has forced a long delayed and needed change in the hands of multiple outlets of cheapskate TV games makers to do a far better job than they have before and that's a good thing.

• Like 2

I'm on food stamps.

Hey, there's no shame in it. Thankfully, I'm financially comfortable - better off than some, not as 'comfortable' as others - so I'm just glad that my tax dollars are assisting you and yours in this way.

Here, I'll hold the large rock at an angle so that you're able to slither back under....hurry, it's heavy....

I can't believe it's the case that Nintendo can't produce enough classic systems to keep up with demand. I'm pretty sure the endless shortage is some sort of a marketing plan on Nintendo's part and for that reason I will now refrain from purchasing anything Nintendo.

My theory is lingering embarrassment over the Wii U hitting shelves to little fan fare and plenty of hardware availability just sitting around. I think they're intent on never repeating that. The last time I stood in line before a store opened for a Nintendo product (or any product for that matter) was the Wii back in 2006. Never again.

By the way this one thing got me thinking about something on the big scale. The last decade and a half we have been witness to a hell of a lot of these TV games closed devices. Namco and Atari (with Jakks) have been at it the longest. It's amazing how far you go back just how bad the stuff has mostly consistently stayed in all this time. You do find these rare cases like the original flashback 2 which isn't emulated and can have the boared(inked for it by the factory) hacked to add a real cart slot and the oldest of the paddle ones which nearly 1:1 those games too where it's solid. The very old picked up both by coleco way back and then later atgames master system/game gear closed device is another. Yet around that oh my god how bad can it be and how many times? Answer is too many because the people mostly picking it up didn't care. Radica, Jakks, Namco, ATGames (Sega, Int, Coleco, Atari), Golden Tee, C64, Konami, Capcom, and EA to name many more or less uniformly all produced varying levels of crap devices with some major problems of totally not reproducing things right at all to having some horribly broken aspects to how the stuff works. ATGames probably the more glaring since they're easy to call out with the Genesis with their broken audio, broken save games (even in real games in the slot), some graphics problems breaking a few others) as would be the really sloppily coded EA sports tv titles too and the varying atari devices that got truly wonky. Most the Namco stuff was garbage too with old very early 80s games not looking/sounding right or even if they did they were recoded and didn't behave as they should for no good reason other than sloppy work.

Do not forget the Retrobit Generations with it's horrid crapulation attempts. That was hot garbage despite the ROM loading options.

So it seems the official Star Fox 2 rom has been extracted. Anyone figure out what the differences are between the final and hacked beta that's been floating around forever? Unlocks, AI changes etc..?

This is probably the best information we have on differences at the moment in one place : https://tcrf.net/Proto:Star_Fox_2/June_22,_1995_Build

SNES Central is planning on updating is SF2 article with a comparison between the beta and final versions.

This is probably the best information we have on differences at the moment in one place : https://tcrf.net/Proto:Star_Fox_2/June_22,_1995_Build

SNES Central is planning on updating is SF2 article with a comparison between the beta and final versions.

Very cool. Do we know if they are emulating the GSU-1 or -2 processor for this game?

Do not forget the Retrobit Generations with it's horrid crapulation attempts. That was hot garbage despite the ROM loading options.

I'd like to argue I intentionally forgot to add it because it was so awful when in fact it sucked so bad I blocked it from my memory and forgot it existed, and I left out that Tommo disaster of the NGX as well that SNK sued them over it was so bad.

And Punisher not that I have anything I can base it on scientifically, but going by both the press (saying FX2), and also because I have a SF2 cart using a FX1 (Stunt Race FX) donor cart which runs slower I'd say it is the FX2 emulated there.

• Like 1

It emulates GSU-1. The sole difference between GSU-1 and GSU-2 is that the former is limited to 1MB of ROM, while the latter can handle 2MB of ROM. Both chips can hit the high speed.

I'm very surprised that this game Is only 1MB. I figured it was a lot more. That makes even more impressive to me.

Also, how cool would it have been for Nintendo to add MSU1 support for optional CD quality sound? That would have been the icing on the cake. I bet the guy that designed it would have been cool with it.

Had to find a site to do the math just because I've seen it mentioned several times in here. Got these from TVCalcuator.com

Looks like for modern 16x9 screens, a 32" would equal a 26" CRT. You would need a 40" to match a 32". I think some of the comments were underestimating a little.

post-14204-0-25377500-1506962530_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Had to find a site to do the math just because I've seen it mentioned several times in here. Got these from TVCalcuator.com

Looks like for modern 16x9 screens, a 32" would equal a 26" CRT. You would need a 40" to match a 32". I think some of the comments were underestimating a little.

attachicon.gifTVRatios2.JPG

I use a 5X zoom at 1080P for my older 4:3 games. Crops out a lot of the overscan like a CRT would. So actually, you could probably get away with even a smaller HDTV. Say maybe a 30" instead of that 32" you're using for an example.

Checking the 5X profile I use for the genesis on a 60" TV, it would be the equivalent of a 52" CRT.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

The largest Commercial CRT ever made was 40". I had one. A Mitsubishi Beast. It weighed 300 lbs and came with the house when I bought it in 2001 because it was to big to move. I remodeled the whole house with that thing sitting in the middle of the living room with a tarp over it. I kept it until I could reasonably afford an LCD that was at least as tall, screen-wise as that 1994 Mitsubishi. It was a great TV. A 60" Sharp LED sits where it sat. I think a 55" is about as tall as the 40" CRT.

Sad thing is I couldn't sell it, I gave it away. I wish I still had it. It Rocked for Vintage Games. I still have the remote. Another monster with backlit keys. They don't make them like THAT anymore.

Edited by Zonie

So I plug this thing in finally to try it out. It's awesome, but one thing I totally didn't realize is it has REWIND! Love it!! :lol:

Regarding TV size, I tried plugging it into the 75" in our bonus room, and while it's cool to see SNES that large, yeah it is pretty darn jaggy. Putting it other video modes helps a little but also seems to make the colors less vibrant? or is it me? It doesn't help that cords are super short forcing you very near the screen. I guess if you had a 20' HDMI cable you could get the thing far enough that you can sit a little further away. But I said screw it and moved it to the more reasonably sized bedroom tvs

Edited by NE146