IGNORED

What was you first 2600 game?

GeekDragon

Mine was Asteroids and Pac Man. My mom got them through the Channel 11 Auction around '81 or '82. Channel 11 here in Chicago is a PBS station and used to run auctions to raise funds. Now we didn't have a system so I couldn't play them but I remember looking at the box art and wanting to play them so badly. Not too long after, we got a Gemini system and I played these games all the time. I knew they weren't arcade perfect, but I enjoyed them. I know Pac Man gets a bad rap now, and I can see why, but I always liked it. I can play Asteroids for hours on 1 game. It was one of my great video game achievements when I flipped the score. Yeah we got some more games through out the years and Robot Tank and Atlantis became 2 of my all time favorites. But Asteroids and Pac Man for the 2600 will always have a special place in my heart since these were my first home video games. Now I have just started collecting seriously and have over 160 games.

A young'un who got his xmas of '86 was lucky enough to also get 6 games.

Asteroids, Defender, Frogger, Missile Command, Pac-Man & Yar's Revenge.

Couldn't tell you which one I played first.

Edited by Torr

I am with Ed. I had Combat as the Pack-in. I don't remember what my first cart actually was. But looking at some of my childhood carts and knowing what was important to me when we first got the VCS it was probably Homerun, Football, Golf or Outlaw. Those are my oldest text label carts.

I inherited my cousin's 2600, along with a box of games that included:

Asteroids

Berzerk

combat

frogger

Starmaster

pac-man

E.T.

Superman

Jungle Hunt

missile command

Demon Attack

I wasn't super into it at the time, because I viewed it as a step down from my TI-99/4a, which was my primary gaming device back then. I definitely have grown a greater appreciation for it over time.

Edited by G-type

For us new buyers in 1977 it would have been the Combat pack-in, along with one or more of the following..

Surround

Air-Sea Battle

Indy 500

StarShip

Video Olympics

Street Racer

BlackJack

Basic Math

..that was all that was available. And we were blown away!

As time goes on, the variety of titles increases, and the question becomes more relevant.

This question may be unanswerable to some. I suspect many started as the 2600 being the hand me down system with carts a plenty.

This.

I probably spent the most time at a neighbor's house when the family got their Atari and a bunch of games. I think I liked it more than they did. I remember the lineup they got:

Stampede

Haunted House

Pac-Man

Kaboom

Combat

Warlords

Frogger

Night Driver

Later on, Defender, and a bit after that, Gravitar, via an AtariAge mail-in promo, I think. I was totally way more into Gravitar than anyone in that house.

Another friend, who would later get a ColecoVision with paper route money, showed me these games and I have fond memories of them.

Human Cannonball

Missile Command

Superman

Freeway

Grand Prix

Dragster

Space Invaders

Yars' Revenge

It occurs to me that this must have been a $hitload of money for their parents back then.

When I finally got my own Atari, I scooped up everything I could find. Faves included

Star Trek SOS

Buck Rogers POZ

Star Wars Empire Strikes Back

Super Cobra

Pole Position

Space Invaders

and I distinctly remember drugstore blowout purchases of

Pele's Soccer

Word Zapper

Towering Inferno

I seem to recall VCS Pac-Man falling out of the sky everywhere.

I asked for Target Fun, not knowing that it was Sear's version of Air-Sea Battle. We apparently had a Telegames console at summer camp and that's what we played. My folks couldn't find it at the drugstore, so I got Superman instead. Glad they picked that over hangman or human cannonball :-o

Target Fun was the pack in for my Sears heavy sixer.. and the first game I bought along with the console was Space Invaders.

It's funny because it was a number of years before I had the chance to ever find, and try playing Combat. I think I borrowed it from someone at school.

Edited by NE146

Got my 4 switch woody Christmas of '82 I believe. Came with Combat of course, but also opened up two other 2600 games to go along with it. Defender and Space Invaders. For quite a while those were the only three games we owned for the system. Not too long after I eventually saved up enough allowance to buy my first 2600 game for myself. Ms. Pac-Man from the local TG&Y store we had at the time. Think it set me back like close to $40 with tax as I recall back then. But yeah... Space Invader and Defender along with the Combat pack-in.

I wasn't born until 82, so I basically inherited the console from my father who had already had it for a few years and had a number of games for it. My absolute earliest video game memories aren't going to the arcade, but sitting next to my dad playing Space Invaders and Pac Man on the VCS/2600. We also had Combat, Outlaw, Stampede, Street Racer and Defender that I can recall. I remember wanting 'Empire Strikes Back' so badly after playing at a buddy's house, but I wouldn't actually get it until many years later. But I still bought received 2600 games as birthday gifts and such even into the early 90s after I had an NES because I still liked playing it, and you could still buy new games for it at stores. They sure supported the old gal for a long time.

• Like 1