IGNORED

Roy Orison 'Pretty Woman' sound demo

scotty

While I'm digging stuff out, you may as well have a copy of my 'Journey Into Sound' demo from 1990. By that point I was editing sound samples into longer pieces of music, which are showcased here in a rolling demo. I admit some of these aren't that great listening all these years on, but this was from simpler times! ;)

It came on a double sided floppy, and both sides are included in the attached ZIP file, along with a small ReadMe explaining how to boot. It works in emulators, but you'll need to 'flip' the disk (journey2.atr) when told to at the end of the first side (journey1.atr).

AtariJourneyIntoSoundDemo.zip

• Like 2

Another digitized sounds related freebie for anyone who wants it. I wrote Bash-A-Drum, a drum programmer and player, back in 1990. It has 8 digitized drum sounds, which you can play live with your keyboard or joysticks, and a pattern/song editor so you can program drum patterns and songs, save them, edit them, play them back, etc. I've extracted the original docs off the disk and created a PDF file from them, included in the attached ZIP file, making corrections to my usual spelling errors back in the day! It's a single sided disk (in ATR format in the ZIP file) which does work in emulators, but will work better on an original Atari.

Bash-A-Drum.zip

• Like 2

I decided to see if my 30 year old Replay cartridge still works. It did! I had forgotton how loud you have to set the input to get the sampler to pick it up, so much so that my mp4 player wouldn't come close to loud enough. I ended up having to connect the mp4 player to an amplifier, then the Replay to that. Also, don't throw those old late 90's laptops away! Stick APE on them and use them as a disk drive for your Atari! ;)

replay11.jpg

• Like 3

My that's a lot of cords. :)

Now that you got it hooked up, we need some anachronistic music. Maybe a snippet from Katy Perry's California Gurls on a 92k ATR that you tell people you found in the box of floppies in your basement from 1988, proving the existence of time travel.

• Like 1

My that's a lot of cords. :)

Now that you got it hooked up, we need some anachronistic music. Maybe a snippet from Katy Perry's California Gurls on a 92k ATR that you tell people you found in the box of floppies in your basement from 1988, proving the existence of time travel.

Well, that's weird because it seems to have happened! :) This one's so retro that it only plays properly on real Atari's! Boot with Basic, usual DigiDisk menu system.

DigiDiskTimeTravel.ATR

• Like 1

Some new samples would be excellent!

oh no nothing like that blech! My son and daughter just put their fingers in their mouth over that sample... while I normally don't agree with them musically, this time I do. My poor Atari is weeping........

oh come on now if you go that route do some classics for our classic!

Or....... something strong and fressh..... sorry Perry's played out!

Want to go full silly anything Weird Al or Dr Demento does would be better, witty!

Go newer? Imagine Dragons, Sabaton, something like that is strong.

Nobody has done any orchestral titles yet.

hmmm how about full on Atester, Maybe something from Skillet, why not... that should work.

Some really good solid test of time songs have always faired well.... just hoping.

Please do another sampling for us quick! :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

He's right about that the playback on emulation seems uneven.... there is something a bit off...

funny enough that's part of what emKay is remarking on with some proclivity.

I don't have real hardware to compare it to, but the van halen track above sounds about as crappy as I remember it from when I had it back in the day.

I'm surprised to hear (no pun intended) that Altirra may not be emulating something quite right. I'd love to hear a comparison if someone has real hardware and wants to post a youtube video or mp3 to show the difference...

Thanks, this thread is a lot of fun.

• Like 1

I'm surprised to hear (no pun intended) that Altirra may not be emulating something quite right. I'd love to hear a comparison if someone has real hardware and wants to post a youtube video or mp3 to show the difference...

Can't post a clip at the moment, but I checked against an 800XL and Altirra plays the clip fine. There's a bit of hiss in some portions of the clip due to aliasing, even on the real hardware.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still digging these old digi-demos out. By 1991 it seems I was experimenting with bank switching, and created a digi-demo for 128K machines. This will, therefore, need a 130XE or compatible memory expanded 800XL. It never comes to end BTW, so it'll keep on playing forever, or until you switch your machine off! ;) It seems to play reasonably well in Atari800WinPlus, but always better on a real Atari! The ATR is attached. Just boot with Basic.

MegaBlastDemo128K.ATR

• Like 1