IGNORED

Store cabinet

rapoza609

So I'm looking into putting lights behind the marquee glass of this atari computer store cabinet like it originally had. I'm trying to figure out if the lights originally came through the back where the two holes are (see pics) or if they came through the top 3 holes. I was wondering if those 3 holes were for ventilation. Any ideas?

I am not an expert on this cab by any means. I wonder if the 4 rectangular pattern holes were to mount some sort of "light kit".

While not authentic these days I would get a couple of LED strips to replace the lighting in the marquee.

It will provide a more consistent light (no hot spots) little to no temperature problems, and you will never have to change a bulb in your lifetime.

Just my suggestion. I am sure others here have answers of a more authentic nature.

I agree with groundtrooper about the LEDs. As far as where to mount it and what holes were for which it really doesn't matter as far as that goes because nobody will see it once you get the face replaced. Did you ever check with any sign companies about getting a replacement? I would say though more than likely it had a fluorescent lamp going across the back, it looks like it has mounting holes as well for the fixture. It appears to me to be a cool white lamp in the pic that has one lit.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229882-atari-computer-in-store-display-cabinet-cl-nj/maybe you could ask this guy if he ever bought the one he was looking at or had a chance to look at it and see how it was originally if you want to go that route.

Edited by SignGuy81

the game center I have simply has a 3 foot single lamp florescent light strip in it. the light strip has a very long grounded rubber cord on it ( I'm guessing 12 feet)

if I leave the thing on all day it does get pretty warm and I think there is a thermal switch that cuts out. the cord end slips through a hole similar to what you have in the back

rIjW3gL.jpg

LED's, cord & plug might be a good way to go

Edited by chas10e
  • Like 3