IGNORED

What happened to Atari Benelux..

Chriz-B

Wow, that is great, he must have been cooking for days to make all those different dishes :)

When you happen to be in The Netherlands, we should meet and order a rijsttafel.

And if you are in The Netherlands you should also try the another Dutch food tradition,eating from the wall :grin:

attachicon.gif15535718086_65d3a65173_b1.jpg

attachicon.gif4570550397_84f41deb96_b1.jpg

Sorry for being off-topic again...

Yes! That's why he hates doing it, hahaha... but I used my daughter's first communion as leverage. He cooked it all at home in metal baking pans, and then brought it all in a cooler with ice (they live 4 hours away) and then heated it all up in our oven. It was awesome!

I'm definitely down with that. I haven't been to Holland in probably 7 or 8 years. My relatives all come to visit though in Orlando every year. I'd love to heat out there again soon, so I might plan a trip out there. I have a lot of family members that owe me free room and board! hahah...

I have got to check that place out, it looks awesome...

Still... nothing beats "friets" (I think it's called, French fries) with that mayonnaise from C1000. Or whatever I can get from a "predpark," haha. Man, those massive stroopwafles are awesome though... the ones they sell on the street, insane.

Bought a cheap XEGS with Spanish manuals at a computer show next to my hotel in Maastricht in most probably late 1984 and a 7800 and Jaguar at an Atari show in Cologne around the same time. Interesting to know that they probably came from that big warehouse sale.

And why did no one ever sell buy two - get one free Jag cartridges or anything else Atari at ridiculous prices in Austria :? - to be fair I got a Lynx II and some peripherals for < 50 USD at a local elctronics superstore :D

Edited by slx

I do remember that the Dutch Intertoys sold the Atari 2600 till the 90s. Very cheap , but the SNES/Megadrive and maybe also the Playstation were also for sale, so I did not have any interest in the older 2600. I've never seen Atari 8bit computer hardware/software for sale in the Intertoys stores. I lived in Eindhoven, so maybe Intertoys Eindhoven didnt had any XE computers for sale....

Edited by Stormtrooper of Death

I did some further research because I wrote an article about our visit to Atari Benelux in the October issue of Pokeys Magazine of 1995 (number 54) and I wrote down that there were 160 pallets for sale. We bought 17 of them. I don’t think that 160 pallets (there were some quite small pallets in those 160) were enough to sell so in hundreds of stores in the Netherlands, France and Germany.

So I started to read other old articles I wrote and found out that I wrote an article in issue 52 about the availability of Atari XE sets at Intertoys Netherlands. This issue was published in June 1995 and I wrote that the XE sets were available since 3 weeks. So I am now thinking that the biggest companies (like Intertoys and Mediamarkt) already bought a lot of stock a few months before the “final sale” of 160 pallets.

The article about the “final sale” was published in Pokeys Magazine was dated October 1995, but we were always late with publishing the issues. The magazine was bi-monthly. In the August issue there is no mention of this sale. I think I wrote the article in August or September. So I think the final sale was in July or August, but the bigger companies must have bought their stock earlier.

The article in ST format, I really don’t know if this is correct. My memories are that the building would close down. I was allowed to go into the offices to remove old advertising and merchandising stuff for my collection. If my memories are correct (it is a long time ago) the office spaces were already vacated and I still have some merchandising in my collection which I removed from these offices. I think the article of STformat can be right, but if that magazine was published in August, the deadline (content) before printing must be in July or maybe even earlier. I think it is possible that plans have changed just before or after the publishing of the article. But I am not really sure.]

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 2

Very interesting to read all this stuff, thanks! Still wondering if somebody has photos of that time.

The video with the fire that I posted earlier appears to be a different building so it did not look like this.

I searched the internet again and found some pictures from a real estate website where the building was gray,

this was probably how it looked in the 90's:

post-43939-0-96934500-1496320270_thumb.jpg

Also found som pictures from the inside of the warehouse.

This is probably where all our European Jaguar games and consoles were stored :)

post-43939-0-10202100-1496320328_thumb.jpg

I was near Vianen yesterday and made a little stop again, the last time it was empty but now they are busy renovating.

There is apparently a new company located.

Anyone knows if Atari Benelux had their own trucks (Maybe rentals). My decaying brain thinks that in it's younger years it saw a white truck with a blue Atari logo on the side on the highway in the Utrecht/Vianen area.

I ever only saw one. So maybe it was for a special occasion or maybe they only just needed 1 ;-)

Here is another scan of a Falke Verlag advert for various Atari items. All prices are in Deutsche Mark, divide it by 2 to get the Euro price. The XL was no longer advertised as being compatible to the VCS. They did seem to receive lots of 7800 games, Portfolio stuff. 59 DM for an Atari XL with cassette recorder and a "surprise" (like Light Gun or Touch Pad"). When I bought my XL at a small trade fair in Elmshorn, the surprise was the Light Gun. I'm also glad I picked up the grey Jag-Pad for 19 DM.

I don't recall Seidel or Falke selling Jaguar games, so presumably they didn't buy that palette. They had the whole calculator product line though, the small solar one was given to new subscribers.

post-40977-0-74894900-1496651402_thumb.jpg

Edited by kimchipenguin

• 2 weeks later...

I have created a timeline of Atari Benelux. I published the first version on my website: https://atarimuseum.nl/history-of-atari-benelux/

Michael Current is reviewing everything I found out and I already received some corrections and additions from other Dutch Atari users, so I hope we can get more details in the future ;)

If you can help, please do :)

• Like 4

The video with the fire that I posted earlier appears to be a different building so it did not look like this.

Are you sure, because when I google Megasellers the address of Hagenweg 7B turns up, and that is the same address...

Wow Fred this is really nice. Very detailled info. Only the fire video is incorrect, it was another building close to Hagenweg. What I did found trough 'web archive wayback machine' are pictures from the Atari building about a year after Atari left. I'll upload them :)

• Like 2

I have created a timeline of Atari Benelux. I published the first version on my website: https://atarimuseum.nl/history-of-atari-benelux/

Michael Current is reviewing everything I found out and I already received some corrections and additions from other Dutch Atari users, so I hope we can get more details in the future ;)

If you can help, please do :)

Nice!

I have attached another ad, this time from mid 1997 (ST-Computer 06/97). It seems that Germany received *a lot* of Atari joysticks: You could buy five CX24, CX40 or CX78 for 20 DM, or 36(!) CX24 for 49 DM.

post-40977-0-88824000-1497479759_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Seems more bad inventory management on Atari's part - lots of products that didn't sell, while products that were in demand (TT, Falcon) were in short supply. German press frequently made fun of the "banana ship" that was supposed to deliver new stock to Europe.

I bought my 2600jr at a department store in '91 or '92. They didn't sell any Atari games, but the console came with the 32-in-1 game cartridge. Basically the NES Classic of its day, but actually available in stores.

• Like 1

I have figured out where the fire at Megasellers was.

In the video you will see a number 20, in Streetview I found out that the address was "De Limiet 20 in Vianen".

post-43939-0-08988500-1497512604.jpg post-43939-0-28432800-1497512615.jpg

Apparently Megasellers was first located at this address and later they moved to the old Atari address "Hagenweg 7b"

I've also been looking for old pictures of the building, trough Wayback Machine I found them back.

Only 2 small pictures :) but these are taken not very long after Atari was gone.

post-43939-0-47420400-1497512652.jpg post-43939-0-01347300-1497512664.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Thanks to Wilfred K. (who joined AtariAge recently) I have expanded my page about the history of Atari Benelux. Wilfred is a former employee of Atari Benelux and he gave me a lot of new material. Thanks Wilfred!

You can read the history (including some exclusive pictures) here: https://atarimuseum.nl/history-of-atari-benelux/

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 2

Nice!

I have attached another ad, this time from mid 1997 (ST-Computer 06/97). It seems that Germany received *a lot* of Atari joysticks: You could buy five CX24, CX40 or CX78 for 20 DM, or 36(!) CX24 for 49 DM.

attachicon.gifSTC-1997-06.jpg

I remember buying Atari CX78 controllers from Pollin in Germany for peanuts (0.5€) in 1999/2000:

https://www.pollin.de/p/atari-joypad-controller-cx-78-710055

That's pretty cool! They had the "Dutch National Video Game Championships."

Was the video game crash in 1984? Is that why they halved the number of employees?

I don't think the video game crash had anything to do with the personnel cuts. In 1984 jack Tramiel bought Atari from Warner and he had a different approach in running a (videogame) computer company.