IGNORED

Windows TELNET.EXE Echo Issue

Kyle22

Here is the Telnet client from Win 2K Pro. It behaves properly when connecting to BBSs. The one that ships with XP has a problem because it echoes locally typed characters. Win 7 and later seem to have no telnet installed by default. This one should work for you.

Extract these files to c:\windows\system32.

TELNET.ZIP

Edit: Make sure to cancel any and all Windows File Protection dialogs when you replace the files.

Edited by Kyle22

I don't remember this behavior either. Local echo is a runtime negotiable option in the Telnet protocol, so it's possible XP added new support that's tripping on the specific connection you're making.

Rather than stuffing in the Win2K telnet.exe, though, I'd just switch to putty.exe -telnet. Much nicer Telnet client.

I don't remember this behavior either. Local echo is a runtime negotiable option in the Telnet protocol, so it's possible XP added new support that's tripping on the specific connection you're making.

Rather than stuffing in the Win2K telnet.exe, though, I'd just switch to putty.exe -telnet. Much nicer Telnet client.

I'm working on a 850 / telnet modem emulation feature for RespeQt (actually I just started and I'm collect required knowledge).

I checked that Altirra refuses the "WILL ECHO" request from the telnet server running a BBS and uses local echoing, while a PUTTY telnet client (and APE telnet client) does the opposite:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242642-new-feature-850-emulation/?do=findComment&comment=3748914

I would really appreciate if you could comment on that (and on other questions I asked so far in the above thread).

• Like 1

I'm working on a 850 / telnet modem emulation feature for RespeQt (actually I just started and I'm collect required knowledge).

I checked that Altirra refuses the "WILL ECHO" request from the telnet server running a BBS and uses local echoing, while a PUTTY telnet client (and APE telnet client) does the opposite:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242642-new-feature-850-emulation/?do=findComment&comment=3748914

I would really appreciate if you could comment on that (and on other questions I asked so far in the above thread).

I'd have to double-check to be sure, but I think this was part of fixes needed to work with the Microsoft Telnet Server, which has some unusual requirements (TRANSMIT-BINARY, in particular). It wasn't to save bandwidth, as Telnet bandwidth is inconsequential at Atari scale.

I'll check it out. Provide a link for the proper version, and I will test it. I can have one Win machine running RespeQt, and another telnet into it.

Is there any reason why I can't telnet to myself at 127.0.0.1? I would think it should work.

Not that fast - here is nothing to test yet ;)

And in the first step RespeQt will get only the telnet client.

You need a telnet server running on your machine (to be able to connect to it).

Generally you can establish a telnet connection to any port on your machine if there is an application listening on it (for example a web server).

This article will give you more info on TCP/IP ports:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28609/how-can-i-tell-what-is-listening-on-a-tcpip-port-in-windows/