IGNORED

Techmoan posted an Atari Video Music video on Youtube

Eltigro

It's not technically "gaming", but it is Atari... Anyway, I like Techmoan's retro tech videos and he just put up this one for the Atari Video Music. I think it'd be nice to have one of these in my collection, but I'd probably never really use it past testing to see if it works. It'd look nice on the shelf, ya know? Anyone here have one?

• Like 1

I knew it existed, just never really hear much about it. There are two that I can find on ebay right now: a non-working one for $99 and working one with original box for $299. For what I would do with it (pretty much nothing but look at it), these are both out of my price range. If I saw one cheap at a flea market or something, though, I'd jump on it.

As far as the TIA, not sure, but it was developed and sold just before the VCS, so maybe.

Since the VCS runs at a constant framerate and overall is a low-parts-count device, there is little to get in between an input signal and an output signal. So I wonder if something like this couldn't be done for the VCS? A cartridge with a microphone, a modified melody board perhaps, demoscene-style coding. Lots of potential. No one to exploit it though.

I sub to techmoan. The guy is great. We operate on similar mental planes or something. Seems as though I will be thinking of something and within a couple days he does a video on it. His channel is mostly obscure audio tech, with some video. Not really gaming, but I believe the vast majority of atari age will be extremely interested in his channel.

• Like 1

It is a great channel and I love his voice and presentation also. He's got a rare skill of being able to make his 100% scripted videos sound unscripted and off-the-cuff.

And seriously, most of the stuff he features is stuff that I'm hearing about for the first time from him. But then I wonder why I never knew about before. It's all stuff I feel like I *should* know, but don't.

I know one of the things he's doing is crawling through The Museum of Obsolete Media, but I don't think that's the only place he's finding out about the stuff he features. I don't think he found out about the oscilloscope audio amplifiers he showed a little while back from there, for example, and I thought that was just one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

I also think his new second intro is probably made with a real oscilloscope and I wonder how the hell he did that!

Edited by spacecadet